Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2009, 05:51 AM   #1
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
DirecTV and Dish RV DNS FORMS

DirecTV form

RV DNS FAQ Note that DirecTV recommends KVH or King Controls to order equipment and programming, but MotoSAT and Winegard also provide dishes, but not receivers/DVRs or programming.

FAX # 208-363-6444

Main # 800-531-5000

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dish Network form (All American Direct)

DNS FAQ

FAX # 317-849-9208 for All American Direct RV Waiver

DNS Questions # 800-909-9677 All American Direct

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Having just gone through this process... make sure that you follow this process to the letter and don't believe what the phone rep might tell you regarding the process.

Rather than start with the forms, I called to see if the process had changed. I was told I didn't need the forms and they would submit the waiver request for me but it could take 4 to 6 weeks to process. After five weeks I called to check status and finally got transferred to the DNS department and this really rude guy told me that the reps who had submitted my request didn't know what they were talking about and I had to start from scratch.

Once I followed the process it worked as advertised.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:52 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I was told I didn't need the forms and they would submit the waiver request for me but it could take 4 to 6 weeks to process.
As you learned, this cannot be done over the phone.

Since you have to submit a copy of your RV's registration form with the RV Waiver, it has to be either snail mailed or faxed. Snail mailing it can take weeks to get your DNS up and running, while faxing it means having DNS up and running in less than 48 hours (we had ours up and running in less than 24).
Old 06-14-2010, 04:18 PM   #4

The Dish Network DNS waiver link is a bit out of date. It needs to be updated to point to this:
https://www.mydistantnetworks.com/RV...t3.19.2010.pdf
Old 06-14-2010, 04:59 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The Sticky link has been updated.

Thanks!

Old 03-25-2011, 07:28 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
All of the links in this thread are dead.

What's DNS?

I assume in this context it means something other than DomainNameServer?
Old 03-25-2011, 07:39 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
DNS = Distant Network Service. It is a process that allows you access to the network channels, NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX. You can apply and then receive (for a fee) the network channels wherever you travel in the RV. With DISH, thru All American Direct, I get the network channels from San Francisco and New York. I'm not sure what Direct TV offers.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:23 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The links have been updated.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:46 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas1 View Post
With DISH, thru All American Direct, I get the network channels from San Francisco and New York. I'm not sure what Direct TV offers.
DirecTV used to offer networks out of New York and Los Angeles. However, new DNS customers now only get one coast depending on their registered address with DirecTV (I assume that people in the Eastern and Central time zones get New York, while other time zones get Los Angeles).
Old 03-26-2011, 09:18 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
DirecTV form

RV DNS FAQ Note that DirecTV recommends KVH or King Controls to order equipment and programming, but MotoSAT and Winegard also provide dishes, but not receivers/DVRs or programming.

FAX # 208-363-6444

Main # 800-531-5000

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We got our waiver in 2003. Has worked as advertised ever since. I am disappointed with the loss of east coast feeds but that was mandated by the Federal Candy Company.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:42 AM   #11

Dish Network uses a third party for Distance Networks and you get both east and west coast feeds.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:10 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
I am disappointed with the loss of east coast feeds
Assuming you are a DirecTV customer who has had DNS since 2003, you should have received a letter/post card from DirecTV saying that you would loose one coast unless you contacted them and asked to retain both coasts ... for a higher fee, of course. This all happened sometime last fall, I believe.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are persistent rumors on several satellite forums that Dish may be allowed back in the distant network business. I still contract through All American Direct for the national network feeds, but we lost our HD feeds earlier this year. Everything ADD provides now is in standard def. I had just begun to like the Chicago market when that was also jerked and replaced with New York. The investment I made in automatic dishes, PVR receivers, and HDtvs is wasted in this arrangement. Unfortunately, standard def looks worse on an HDtv than it does on a standard tv.

I contacted Dish again this week and was "unofficially" told that an announcement would be made soon about the national feeds, but I have been told that before.

Does anyone have any better info than just rumors? Maybe if we banded together it would persuade Dish to get back in the national feed business if and when the FCC allows it.
HarleyWJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:21 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I really don't get it... If local feeds are "on a beam" why won't the rv system just pick up whatever "local beam" you are in?