Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
Angry DirecTV at home and road is fraud

So My dad got DirecTV in 1995 since you could have satellite at home and on the road without a dish that was big enough to swim in, I been with them since 2002, well just yesterday they informed me that the government passed some kind of law to where I need a separate account for the motorhome, hunting camp, and house, or I need to deactivate each receiver at the place I'm not at as in, if I'm home, the hunting camp/motorhome receiver needs to be deactivated, if I'm gone I need to deactivate the house. So that means no body at home could watch TV while I'm gone.

Has anyone heard of such or is it just some bull?
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2013, 12:59 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I think u need to talk to another 'customer service' rep :-)

Ours does fine - they suggested the add on 6 dollar a month deal for the rv if I bought the 99 dollar receiver for the rv
Old 07-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #3

That's Bull! You can use a box from home but you will not get your local channels. Abc,Nbc,Cbs. To get locals you need to pay for a new service.

Don
Old 07-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Funny Dish tailgater is just for that type of use and other than making sure you
use it every two weeks so you do not have to call them to activate it again(PITA)
there is no other requirement.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
Well I have 3 receivers

I have 2 HD Tivos in the house and one SD DVR that stays between the motorhome and hunting camp, I do bring it in the home if guests are here to visit.

I get my locals at home, but do not pay attention to them, I use a off air antenna that gives me the "off channels" (like 5.2 and 5.3) and I can get locals from 100 miles away too that I do not get with the DTV.

I'm pretty about it, I used to own all my receivers but due to them breaking and having to be replaced by the protection plan they are now "DTV's receivers" and they claim it was different when I "owned" them. This is the first time DTV has ever made me mad, and want to drop them, they have been nothing but top notch with customer service for me. I do not know what their problem is now.
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
I dumped them many years ago when they tried this same deal with me.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by F239141 View Post
So My dad got DirecTV in 1995 since you could have satellite at home and on the road without a dish that was big enough to swim in, I been with them since 2002, well just yesterday they informed me that the government passed some kind of law to where I need a separate account for the motorhome, hunting camp, and house, or I need to deactivate each receiver at the place I'm not at as in, if I'm home, the hunting camp/motorhome receiver needs to be deactivated, if I'm gone I need to deactivate the house. So that means no body at home could watch TV while I'm gone.

I doubt that DirecTV can tell where you have/use your receivers, (unless you let the cat out of the bag).
Like Las Vegas, what happens in your RV stays in your RV.

If you receive "local stations" via your dish and you move one receiver out of the area of your billing address you may loose the "local stations".
However, all other channels you subscribe to, (aka: pay DirecTV for), will be available anywhere in the lower 48 states.
At the same time, anyone at your home. (using another DirecTV receiver, on the same account), will continue to receive all of the channels you pay for, (including locals if you have them on your subscription).
When you bring the second DirecTV receiver back home it work as if it never left home.

My advice is: DO NOT call DirecTV and risk opening an expensive "can of worms"....JUST DO IT!

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
DTV cannot tell where your dish and receiver is at unless you tell them, OR plug the receiver into a phone line. There is no "law" requiring you to have separate accounts for each place you have receivers, but it IS against DTV's terms of service, legally.
Like F239141, we have two TiVo HD DVRs for the house and one SD receiver for the fiver. No separate accounts. The RV account is for DTVs records, in my ham shack. And it IS. My ham shack is also in the fiver. :-)

Keep mum and enjoy.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
What prompted this conversation? Did you call them about some sort of service change?
Old 07-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by F239141 View Post

So how did this problem suddenly arise? Did they send you some sort of notification out of the blue? If so, what triggered that?

I sure haven't heard of any federal law requiring any sort of change like this but I do believe that "technically", they have always preferred that an RV account be opened... although they rarely would take any action. We have had DNS service for years without having a separate RV account.

Have you lost any of the functionality you've had? Is something now not working which worked before?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #11

This is all total BS. When I got my home service I specifically asked for an extra receiver to use in my RV. I was upfront with them when I ordered and I have had a couple of service issues on that receiver that I dealt with their tech support on. In all conversations I disclosed that I used that receiver in my RV. None cared. In fact, they acted like it's a common thing.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #12

Direct TV tried this bull gravy over 13 years ago by insisting you have a different billing for each application. It did not work. No there are no federal regulations concerning where your dish is. It can affect your local home stations being severed outside of a focused spot beam. There is a way to address that but I never found it worth the charge.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #13

We use one of the receiver from the house when we hit the road. and others have said you will loose local channels when outside your home area. I also think the time shows are on match your home area not time zone you may be in.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
I have 3 DirecTV receivers at home and 1 in the RV. One is a primary receiver; the rest are "mirrored" receivers. DirecTV knows the receiver locations and no problems with it. I've been with them since 1996 or so.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote