Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

DirecTv DVR only needs 1 cable now???

After nearly two years of full timing we've just bought a townhouse near the grandbabies in Arizona. The HOA includes Cox Cable basic service in the due so i thought I would give them a try. Had them install their internet service and two HD DVRs. Within two weeks I was tearing out the DVRs and having DirecTv come out to install a dish.

But I digress... When the DTV tech installed the dish and made the new cable runs, he only ran a single cable to each HD DVR and even removed the B Band Converters which had been required on each cable at the DVR.

I questioned him on this and... not having much of a personality... he replied that only one cable was needed now that the B Band Converters also weren't needed any longer.

I don't know what's changed but it all seems to be working as expected.

This should help with some RV upgrades now.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
That is the way Dish is too now.. the Switch is in the LNB and combined into 1 cable... There is a splitter just before the DVR on Dish to feed both tuners.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

This DTV set up doesn't even use a splitter at the DVR so they must be doing some fancy stuff over that coax.

I wonder if those new LNB units can be used on a Winegard Slimline....

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It depends.
The single cable uses something called SWM (single wire multi- switch) technology.
If you don't have SWM you will need two wires and perhaps a B Band converter depending on your receiver.

I have a 3 LNB portable HD dish and a roof mounted Winegard Traveler SM3005 5 LNB automatic dish. Both require two cables for DVR. I just got the setup in the last few months.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:34 PM   #5

Over the last year DirecTV has gone to 100% SWM (single wire multiswitch) installs. This means one wire from the dish to a powered switch inside the home (or RV). From the switch to the receiver. If the receiver is a DVR it requires only one cable which from an installer or home owner (RV owner) perspective is a GREAT improvement. If you experience problems the first thing to check is that the switch has power and the LED is lit.
gpearston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:02 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Glenn,
Does the SWM technology still allow a DVR to record two programs at once with only one cable going into Sat 1 and Sat 2 being unconnected?
Old 03-09-2011, 12:37 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayland View Post
Glenn,
Does the SWM technology still allow a DVR to record two programs at once with only one cable going into Sat 1 and Sat 2 being unconnected?
Every one that I have seen, for Direct to Dish, has required an input on both tuners.. There might be a DVR that has only one input and splits it internally, but I dont have one.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:41 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
A 2 tuner dvr has (most of the time) 2 inputs and 2 outputs on the tuner.
Then a litle coax "jumper" goes from output of tuner 1 to input of tuner 2.
Or when 2 LNB's on the dish, 2 cables run down and each tuner gets its LNB.
If you have a rotator on the dish and 1 cable down you can record 2 programs on one selected sattelite.
Oh well, so many combinations, whatever you want.
Only life is complicated.
pa0gri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #9

Gayland - yes it does - that is the big advantage to the SWM install. DirecTV used to require a huge justification to use the SWM as it is more costly to DirecTV (more equipment supplied by them) but over the last year they have seen the light.
gpearston is offline   Reply With Quote