Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2017, 05:33 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYRon View Post
There is a trick to getting the major networks when travelling the country without having DNS or changing your service address too often. Choose a service address in the NYC area, and you'll get the New York stations.
Like your idea. Just to clarify, do you first input you current location to get satellite aiming info, lock onto the satellite, and then change it to the NYC area zip code?
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2017, 05:48 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicduc View Post
I know that. I'm getting a in-motion satellite as well as a winegard trav'ler installed which has HD for directv just for that reason...
This is exactly what I did, plus a tripod with 100' of coax for when both the roof dishes are blocked.

My wife loves telling the story of why we have three satellite dishes.
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 05:51 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlePirat View Post
If you can figure out how to get DTV to lower its rates, please post it here.
Call them up and ask if you are eligible for their "loyalty discount". This is $10 off/month for 12 months. When the 12 months is up call them again. I am on my second year of getting this discount.

I learned of this when I called and asked if I was eligible for any other discounts.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:21 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
Like your idea. Just to clarify, do you first input you current location to get satellite aiming info, lock onto the satellite, and then change it to the NYC area zip code?
They're pretty much independent. How you lock onto the satellites, putting zip codes if necessary into the receiver to get pointing information, etc. is pretty much unknown or irrelevant to DirecTV the provider. You can establish your new service address with DirecTV by phone either before or after, or even while still at your home.
WYRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:13 AM   #33

If you are prepared to bundle your cell phone and DirecTV together you can get some very good deals with AT&T. I switched from the evil Verizon to AT&T and they lowered my DirecTV bill by 50% and my cell service was about half as well.

If you retired from (or work for) a large company, you may also be eligible for an additional discount. I retired from a really large airplane manufacturer in the Seattle area and was given an additional 25% discount for the cell service.

If you are already a DirecTV customer all you need is another box from them for 6 dollars per month to leave in the motorhome. If you want HD programing, and little to no setup fuss, then a Winegard Traveler mounted on the roof is the best option. Push one button if you "have a clear view of the southern sky" and you are good to go. Record lots of programs so when your dish gets blocked by trees you can still watch your fav programs. The actual aiming direction rotates from SE to SW as you move across the country.
X-OEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:19 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-OEM View Post
If you are already a DirecTV customer all you need is another box from them for 6 dollars per month to leave in the motorhome.
Problem is that for a Genie system, there can only be one Genie server on an account. The rest are Genie Mini's that can only work with a Genie server.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:39 AM   #35

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
So...I have DirectV at home. If I get a Winegard installed on my RV, then all I need to do is get another receiver from DirecTV. Am I correct on this? Or is there a step I have missed?

And when I look into satellites, there are different ones at different prices. There is the Carryout G2 Plus Portable Satellite, the King Quest Automatic Satellite, and the Winegard Roadtrip T4 Satellite????? What is the difference? I'm lost
russue125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:49 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
What I understand is that if you want HD you need the high priced Winegard Travler. If you're happy with SD (supposedly going to disappear in a couple of years) the less expensive antennas will do as long as it mimics the one on your roof. I'm going inexpensive to start.
Txice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:17 AM   #37

So...I have DirectV at home. If I get a Winegard installed on my RV, then all I need to do is get another receiver from DirecTV. Am I correct on this? Or is there a step I have missed?

If you install a Traveler that can pick up HD signals then you are correct - there is no other step

And when I look into satellites, there are different ones at different prices. There is the Carryout G2 Plus Portable Satellite, the King Quest Automatic Satellite, and the Winegard Roadtrip T4 Satellite????? What is the difference? I'm lost

I am not a satellite expert, but I took a quick look at the Winegard site and I believe you are correct. All of the carryout or tailgater options appear to receive SD signals only. There is another hardware option that was discussed in an earlier reply to you in this thread but am not knowledgeable about that product. The ability to be able to do field work on the spot instead of shipping it back to the factory sounds great to me. Our Traveler has worked flawlessly so far - almost 3 years so you have a least one data point!!
Old 08-28-2017, 09:23 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by russue125 View Post

The G2 and King are not in motion systems. All three you asked about are SD only with DirecTV. The only HD for DTV is the Travlr (which I have).

Call DTV and order an additional receiver as if you are putting it in another room in your house. If you mention RV the rep will likely get confused.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:37 AM   #39

In addition WYRon is correct is his summary of the Genie system. As I understand the tech issue here, the Genie requires internet connectivity AND a good solid Wi-Fi in order to communicate to all the mini-genies in the house - or coach in your case.

Very few RV parks have a Wi-Fi system that would allow this to happen and even if they did, you would have to go through the setup for the receiver every time you stopped at a new place. The Genie is NOT an option for RV-ers.

I cannot remember the receiver model number that I have in my coach but it is a pre-genie type that allows recording of one show while watching another or the recording of two shows with the TV off. That is what you have to work with. Also have the Winegard Traveler on the roof so all is in HD.

I am not sure with the advent of the latest "unlimited" data plans from some wireless carriers if there is a technical solution to this. Don't want to sidetrack this thread with this thought, but a truly tech-savvy wireless expert may have a leg up on the rest of us.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:54 AM   #40

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
The only HD for DTV is the Travlr (which I have).
You've fallen for the Camping World/Winegard false advertising.

RF Mogul has a dish and controller that works very well for Direct HD.

I have the MotoSat HD dish with the RG Mogul controller. If the MotoSat quits I just need to get the RF Mogul dish and reprogram the controller.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:58 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-OEM View Post
In addition WYRon is correct is his summary of the Genie system. As I understand the tech issue here, the Genie requires internet connectivity AND a good solid Wi-Fi in order to communicate to all the mini-genies in the house - or coach in your case.
...The Genie is NOT an option for RV-ers.
My comment about the Genie is that you can only have one Genie server per account, but you can use that server (along with any additional Genie Mini's) in an RV...that's what we do. We have a Genie and Genie Mini on our account that we move routinely between our house and RV, but simplify it a bit by having some extra power supplies so we only carry the receivers back and forth.

The only requirement for internet is for the DirecTV specials, like on-demand shows...we're routinely in areas with no internet. We don't have a wireless Genie Mini (which I know is an option), so no need for a wireless network.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:55 AM   #42

Thanks for that clarification - learn something every day!!

Tags
directv