Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
DirecTV H25 receiver with KVH R6ST satellite

Here is a real techie request........ I purchased the H25 receiver because of its very compact size. I would like to make it work in my case. I understand that it is an SWM HD receiver and my in motion satellite is not HD, however, I think it should still work. I have an HD TV in the front of my MH and an older style TV in the bedroom.

Currently, I have an older H23 HD receiver that works, but it is just too big for the space that I have.

I will use an older D12 receiver on one of the LNB's that goes to the bedroom. I will connect the other LNB to the H25 then to the TV. I also understand that the H25 is SWM. and I might need an SWM8 and a power inserter to make this work.....??

Can anyone confirm if and how this can all be accomplished and connected?
Tomp4801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2013, 06:41 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
No the HD25 will not work with non-SWM antennas.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:31 AM   #3

Check with DirecTV, as I believe one of their telephone techs told me last winter that I would need some extra equipment to make,that work with my non-HD antenna. I do not have the H25 receiver so it was a moot issue for me. I was using a dual LMB 18 inch ground mounted antenna and I believe they told me I would need a device to combine both RG 6's into one for the SWM receiver. Sorry I can't remember what they called it.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Are you saying you plan to connect one TV to one of your LNBs and the other TV to a different LNB on the same dish?

I think that both receivers need to see more than one satellite so not sure how that would work.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
This can be done, but you will need an SWM-8, a power inserter, and some extra cables.

First, see this document: http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/2452242.pdf

It's for Winegard, but it's also applicable to your KVH. Look at the wiring for the dome antenna. You won't use the splitter, however, since one of your receivers is non-SWM.

You'll take the SWM output (shown in diagram going to splitter) and run that to your H25, then to the TV. For your D-12 (non-SWM) receiver, you need to run a cable from one of the "Legacy" outputs on the SWM-8 to that receiver.

You will get SD ONLY. No HD, because your KVH can only get the Ku band signals from the 101 satellite.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:34 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
This can be done, but you will need an SWM-8, a power inserter, and some extra cables.

First, see this document: http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/2452242.pdf

It's for Winegard, but it's also applicable to your KVH. Look at the wiringes for the dome antenna. You won't use the splitter, however, since one of your receivers is non-SWM.

You'll take the SWM output (shown in diagram going to splitter) and run that to your H25, then to the TV. For your D-12 (non-SWM) receiver, you need to run a cable from one of the "Legacy" outputs on the SWM-8 to that receiver.

You will get SD ONLY. No HD, because your KVH can only get the Ku band signals from the 101 satellite.
I have seen this link and made the assumption that I could simply substitute the KVH for the dome, so I ordered the parts shown. I will see if it works and let you know in a couple of weeks when I get to my coach.

In the meantime I contacted KVH and they first told me it would not work....then when I pressed to understand what was different about the KVH versus Winegard, they came up with a very similar document to the one Winegard has, with some slight differences. I am going to give it a try. I was just hoping someone else had already gone thru this already..

Funny, that I found out while trading emails with the KVH tech rep, that the antennae is supposed to come packaged with a KVH receiver.....I just had this antennae replaced last February 2012 by the RV Doctor in Fort Myers and I never got that receiver.....it costs $455 to order a new one. Who do you think made out on that transaction?
Old 05-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomp4801 View Post
Funny, that I found out while trading emails with the KVH tech rep, that the antennae is supposed to come packaged with a KVH receiver.....I just had this antennae replaced last February 2012 by the RV Doctor in Fort Myers and I never got that receiver.....it costs $455 to order a new one. Who do you think made out on that transaction?
I see their website says it comes with a 12V DirecTV SD receiver. That does seem odd - I didn't think DirecTV allowed anyone else to make receivers. Unless it's just a normal receiver modified for 12V. It is listed as an OEM/Commercial receiver. Why did you pick this one over one of their normal RV domes?
Old 05-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

I see their website says it comes with a 12V DirecTV SD receiver. That does seem odd - I didn't think DirecTV allowed anyone else to make receivers. Unless it's just a normal receiver modified for 12V. It is listed as an OEM/Commercial receiver. Why did you pick this one over one of their normal RV domes?
R6, R1 and R5 are the only options that they show on their website under RV systems.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomp4801 View Post

R6, R1 and R5 are the only options that they show on their website under RV systems.
Also, of the 3, the R6 has the low profile. And I don't think the R1 was available early last year.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:55 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Just seems like the only reason to pick that one (over the R6) is the special receiver. Which you didn't really need.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Just seems like the only reason to pick that one (over the R6) is the special receiver. Which you didn't really need.
Well, I just found out that the R6 comes with a receiver, I just didn't get it from the RV Doctor in Ft. Myers I could have used that receiver for the second TV instead of having to buy one.