Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2007, 03:58 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Direct TV has now published an update to the HD satellite line up. From what I can see, this still doesn't reflect the new Ku band satellites, but it already upsets the apple cart by moving some HD programming to other satellites. Home viewers can get free receiver and dish hardware upgrades from DTV, but those with domes or dishes mounted on RVs are probably on their own. Tripod users might be able to get the free upgrade?

http://www.kvh.com/pdf/HDTV_Channel_Guide.pdf

CORRECTION: The new satellites are Ka band, not Ku. See subsequent messages for more info.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2007, 05:33 PM   #16

The programming link that you list is for the 3 current KU band satellites. The new satellites will be using a KA signal and will be in different orbital locations than the current 101, 110 and 119 (KU) satellites.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 07:34 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Right, Bill - I messed up the Ka vs Ku designation.

Anyway, the referenced list is a modest change and does not address the future new satellites.

It is my understanding that the Ka band satellites use a substantially different radio frequency and that current dishes and receivers won't handle it. So its not just a matter of an additional satellite to find & track.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 08:40 AM   #18

That's correct. The new satellites require new LNB's so you will see discussion of the 5 head dish. The 2 additional LNB's are different and required to pick up a KA band signal. Now if DTV would only qualify what channels will be broadcast on these satellites and whether they are spot-beamed or not, we could move forward.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:42 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't know all the technical details, but here is what I do know for sure. I have in the house a 50 inch Sony TV that I have the distance network package on. Even though I am not currently a HD subscriber I get ABC and Fox as HD channels. Orange light on box moves to 1080 and picture is better. When we put this setup in RV everything still works the same, but with 2 exceptions: 1.No local channels of course, and 2. the box still goes to(1080), but the picture doesn't change because I don't have a HD capable reciever in my coach. 25 Inch Samsung (2003), not HD capable. I have had this setup for about 2 years now and DTV still only has a few HD channels so I'm waiting to upgrade. My 2 cents, Jim
Old 09-15-2007, 10:34 AM   #20
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Now if DTV would only qualify what channels will be broadcast on these satellites and whether they are spot-beamed or not, we could move forward. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah Ha! The $64,000 question.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:00 PM   #21

The KVH website shows their Trac Vision mdl. R6 DX and implies this dome will receive HD using their "Tri-Sat Auto Switch". Does anyone have one of these domes or know about them? Any idea of their cost?
Old 09-20-2007, 05:20 PM   #22

No dome can receive more than 1 satellite signal at a time. If may be able to switch between multiple satellites either automatically (usually only 2 satellites) or manually.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:23 PM   #23

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Roamer:

If you must have HD now with your dome system, get a HD-capable receiver compatible with the current KU band satellites and wait to see how things settle out before changing the dome. Or carry around a home-type 3 or 5 LNB dish for awhile. Meanwhile you can get the standard network HD offerings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to throw more cold water on this until we know what channels will be on the new satellites, BUT the 5 LNB Dish is not really that portable. It is considerably larger and heavier that the dish we have been setting up manually on a tripod or the picnic table! Also the setup alignment is very critical and nothing like we did with the old 'wife saver' meter. These two new satellites have to be precisely captured to get reception. So it needs to be secured rock solid for any wind.

If you were going to be somewhere for weeks it might be practical to use the 5 LNB dish but for short stays its not practical. Also, you are going to need a lot of space in your bay to carry the big sucker.

I have set one up and its a bear.

Bob

Southern California
BZam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:19 AM   #24

http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/america.html
This is where you find whats on what sat. The 5 LNB dish is big and not the easy to aim for sure. They will be moving channels around to utilize bandwith soon.

2006 Ram 3500 Mega-Cab Jake Brake
dixoncider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:06 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
I am a bit of an Audio/Video nut, especially w/Sat TV. Couple of things I have dug up in my research:

Spoke with KVH tech at Hershey. Apparently this guy did Madden's new coach. Madden didn't like the fact that he couldn't be on two sats at once so KVH installed two sats. Bill Adams is right as usual w/this stuff, you can't be on two sats at once w/a dome.

Second, KVH has a tri-sat acquisition module that is in two modules. They are coming out with a combined unit/module in late September. W/O the module KVH can only go between two sats.

King Dome and Weingard can go between three sats but, it is a manual change to pick which pair you want it to switch between.

KVH's module is fully automatic. To be clear, it is still only possible to be on one sat at a time. Line 1 out of the dome is the master, w/line 2 the slave.

Third, 5 LNB dishes and equipment are apparently already obsolete. There is a post on this site I believe that explains more about that. The KVH guy also confirmed that he recommends skipping any upgrades and wait a year or so for the government approvals. Also, the 2 extra LNBs on the 5 LNB dish will be used for locals primarily which you can get over the air anyway in HD.

Hope that wasn't confusing. I guess the end conclusion I came out with is: if you have a KVH, get the tri sat acquisition module in mid October and wait
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote