Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2013, 06:10 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
DirecTV home to RV?

I have a DirecTV home receiver, SD, model D12-100 that I would like to be able to move to my Aspect30c. This receiver is marked SWM-1. Will it work in my RV or what do I have to acquire to make it work?

Ed Hamilton
2011 Aspect30c
Cardinal Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2013, 06:18 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Depending if the box is still in service at your home I don't think you will need anything for it except a DirecTV dish antenna.

If it's a box that is older than last year you might need to get a new card for it.
I know you will hate me for saying this call DirecTV Cuss-Somemore Service and ask.
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:49 PM   #3

I did this for years with no problem. Several years ago I had a box installed in the motorhome as an added receiver in my home. Direct TV installed the receiver and I pay only for an additional receiver.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:20 PM   #4

Your needs will depend on which dish you will need. HD will require the large dish with elevation, azimuth and tilt adjustments. You may not be able to receive locals when you get away from the spot beam of about 50 miles for locals. Some people say the spot is larger than that, but that is what is required.. You can use an 18 inch round dish, but no HD with that. That is what I use when my roof top dish will not work under trees. If that is your choice and you want to use the recorder, then you will need the dish with two cable leads.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:10 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Pilot View Post
I have a DirecTV home receiver, SD, model D12-100 that I would like to be able to move to my Aspect30c. This receiver is marked SWM-1. Will it work in my RV or what do I have to acquire to make it work?

Ed Hamilton
2011 Aspect30c
We called DishDepot and told them which DirecTV receiver we have. They told me which dish is required for that receiver. In our case we wanted HD, so it was a little more complicated. The dish is pretty big and RG-6 cable is required for HD. Our RV is satellite ready, but for SD with RG-59. So we had to run 2 new cables from the dish to the receiver. The new cables enter the RV directly into the entertainment cabinet. DishDepot included a satellite finder, 50' RG-6, HD dish, and tripod. We are able to receive local off air stations through the receiver. It took a few times to get the hang of the whole setup process. We leave the receiver in the RV. This additional receiver is $6.00 per month. We have the option to suspend usage when we are not using the RV. We are happy with the package and reception. The setup process is exacting, but you only have to do it once each trip. The dish and tripod ride in in the toad.
Safe travels
Loozycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Pilot View Post

Ed Hamilton
2011 Aspect30c
What dish do you currently have on your RV?

If you don't have one, I would suggest the Winegard Anser. It has a much larger reflector than most, is very easy to set up, and won't be plagued with "dome problems".
Old 04-01-2013, 12:00 AM   #7
YC1

Ok, you already said you have a SD standard definition box. Go to the menu setup as if you are going to set it up from scratch. The place where it allows you to select the type of dish. If it allows you to select 18 inch round you should be good to go with a very simple dish in the rv. The swm is single wire multiswitch and requires a box and power supply. Using it with a simple 18 inch round dish should be fine if it allows you to select that option without the box and power supply.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote