RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2018, 10:47 AM   #1

Official iRV2 Sponsor

DirecTV NOW announces Cloud DVR service

One thing that has been missing, IMO, from the DirecTV NOW streaming service has been a DVR option for live shows that are not available on-demand.* DirecTV just announced that such an option would begin today. (note--my son has been working on this professionally, so I knew it was coming!)**

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...ce-directv-now

If you have an internet connection suitable for streaming this makes DirecTV NOW a highly competitive replacement for satellite-based DirecTV

docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2018, 02:33 PM   #2
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
Joel, I’m curious what you use for internet while on the road. ATT made a hard sell for DirecTV Now when we were upgraded to Genie 2, but data has always been the long pole in the tent for us when on the road.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:15 PM   #3

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Since I wasn't smart enough to grab one of the Mobley's when they were available, our internet service is a combination of 100GB on an AT&T "wireless home internet plan" ($100/mo) coupled with 15GB on each of 3 Verizon devices. My AT&T speed at my TX "home base" are in the 10-20Mbps range so we get pretty decent streaming video.

That's enough data for us while on the road or at home, assuming that a major chunk of our TV watching is via DirecTV satellite. I don't think we could shift everything to streaming and stay within our current 145GB.

Joel (AKA docj)
Old 05-15-2018, 05:14 PM   #4

We have DSL at home (seriously). Our county has been petitioning all major companies to please come and put in regular cable for internet. It's crazy that in 2018 we're still using DSL. We moved here from WV 6 years ago and never thought to ask what type of internet was available.

Anyhoo...Would this DirecTV work with Verizon Wireless? We have DirecTV now (everyone in the county has to have satellite) so I'm trying to understand how this would work for someone like us. Any advice?
Old 05-15-2018, 06:28 PM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

This won't work for you until you can get a reliable broadband source with a data rate >5Mbps. Your ADSL won't hack it.

You can't switch to DirecTV Now until you get a decent internet source.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:48 PM   #6

Terrible internet source for me, so this kind of a moot point until our community gets something better.

I have a newbie question about streaming... do you get LIVE sporting events? NFL, NCAA football & basketball and so on...
CampFire Junkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:53 PM   #7

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampFire Junkies View Post

I have a newbie question about streaming... do you get LIVE sporting events? NFL, NCAA football & basketball and so on...
With DirecTV NOW or Hulu LiveTV you will get live sports if they are carried by the channels you have available. Part of the reason for wanting a Cloud DVR capability is to be able to record live events and watch them later.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:28 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Joel, I can't use the link you provided. It requires log-in access.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:50 AM   #9

I hope they’ve improved the DVR from the beta. I’ve been using it for a couple months and it was ok, but not great. Many times the playback couldn’t occur without any real reason, and they shows didn’t always delete when they were supposed to.

I got DTV Now for the Apple TV promo. Now that the 4 months is over, I’ve cancelled it and gone to just Hulu and Netflix. The only shows I watched “real time” were Jusge Judy and the news.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:24 PM   #10

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Joel, I can't use the link you provided. It requires log-in access.
Works fine for me.

Here's another story on the same topic:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...eam/612232002/
Old 05-17-2018, 06:57 AM   #11

Hi Joel, have you noticed if the DVR is using your local receiver or is the DVR in the DTV "cloud"? ie: can you stream / store to your local receiver, and then drive away and watch the program while in motion from the DVR? Or do you have to consume more cellular bandwidth to watch even the recorded video?
Old 05-17-2018, 07:47 AM   #12

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Hi Joel, have you noticed if the DVR is using your local receiver or is the DVR in the DTV "cloud"? ie: can you stream / store to your local receiver, and then drive away and watch the program while in motion from the DVR? Or do you have to consume more cellular bandwidth to watch even the recorded video?
The DirecTV Now service has NO relationship to a traditional DirecTV installation. There is absolutely no need for you to have a receiver in your home or anywhere else. The cloud DVR uses the Cloud to provide all DVR services. You should be able to access the cloud from any of your devices.

For full disclosure I haven't yet switched to DirecTV Now.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:48 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
The DirecTV Now service has NO relationship to a traditional DirecTV installation. There is absolutely no need for you to have a receiver in your home or anywhere else. The cloud DVR uses the Cloud to provide all DVR services. You should be able to access the cloud from any of your devices.
Joel, as far as you know.... if I had Directv Now with my home address in their system. Could I record the local TV stations in my home area, even when I'm on the other coast. For instance, a NFL Jaguar game on my home area CBS station and view it when I'm out of the area? If I can, do I have to wait to have the whole game recorded or could I start watching after it's been on for a half hour or so?

I've browsed some of the restrictions like you have to log in from your home area at least every two or three months but could find the answer to my question. Thanks Bob
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:01 PM   #14

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridakamper View Post
Joel, as far as you know.... if I had Directv Now with my home address in their system. Could I record the local TV stations in my home area, even when I'm on the other coast. For instance, a NFL Jaguar game on my home area CBS station and view it when I'm out of the area? If I can, do I have to wait to have the whole game recorded or could I start watching after it's been on for a half hour or so?

I've browsed some of the restrictions like you have to log in from your home area at least every two or three months but could find the answer to my question. Thanks Bob
This is what I found on the DirecTV Now website:

DIRECTV NOW offers local channels within specified market areas. Your eligibility is dependent on your billing zip code, and your access depends on your streaming device and the device’s IP address (based on location data provided by your Internet Service Provider/ISP).

Note: If streaming from a mobile device, local channel availability is dependent upon your billing zip code, the current physical location of the device based on device locations services.

That seems to make it pretty clear that you won't get your local channels if your device isn't in the appropriate service area.

Tags
directv, service