RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2016, 10:55 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Disable LED

This may sound like a strange question: I just installed some 12v USB charging ports in our TT and while we love the convenience, my wife is not happy about the fact that there is a tiny (about 1/16" diameter) bright blue LED light that is on at all times. The outlet itself is sealed and I don't see any way to remove the light. I'm thinking about taking a 1/16" drill bit and gently touching the LED to destroy it. Any thoughts as to how stupid this idea might be?

Of course I could also try a dab of black paint, but where's the fun in that?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2016, 11:04 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
You'll probably short-circuit the outlet. Don't go there! Black electrical tape. Black nail polish.

TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:27 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleKent View Post
You'll probably short-circuit the outlet. Don't go there! Black electrical tape. Black nail polish.
Probably the best advice.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:33 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree with the advice above.
And I also agree with your wife.
WAY too much stuff now has LEDs showing that it's plugged in/has power, not necessarily DOING anything, just plugged in - I don't need to know that.
We're to the point where we'll not buy something that has 'useless' LEDs on it if there is another option.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:56 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Having been a USAF pilot I'm used to having all types of indicator lights on in the cockpit. Having these lights in my MH makes it look like I'm still back there. I like the look. Nostalgia makes us do odd things.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher99 View Post
This may sound like a strange question: I just installed some 12v USB charging ports in our TT and while we love the convenience, my wife is not happy about the fact that there is a tiny (about 1/16" diameter) bright blue LED light that is on at all times. The outlet itself is sealed and I don't see any way to remove the light. I'm thinking about taking a 1/16" drill bit and gently touching the LED to destroy it. Any thoughts as to how stupid this idea might be?
Of course I could also try a dab of black paint, but where's the fun in that?
A dab of paint.. a small piece of electrical tape, aluminum duct tape.... or a blind fold will do the job.

BTW, although very slight... illuminated LEDs and/or USB charging ports are some of the "parasitic battery draws" some RVers can't figure out how to eliminate.

Adding on/off switches in the power wires to USB charging ports might solve more than one problem.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:41 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
A dab of paint.. a small piece of electrical tape, aluminum duct tape.... or a blind fold will do the job.

BTW, although very slight... illuminated LEDs and/or USB charging ports are some of the "parasitic battery draws" some RVers can't figure out how to eliminate.

Adding on/off switches in the power wires to USB charging ports might solve more than one problem.

Mel
'96 Safari
Yes, in addition to my wife's dislike of LED lights, especially in the bedroom, I'm not happy about the admittedly small parasitic battery draw. That's why I was hoping that I could tap the LED with a drill bit and put it out. If I tape over it, or paint it, I will always know that it is really on, sucking up super-tiny amounts of my precious battery...

I bought 3 of these and will probably only end up installing 2, so maybe I'll try drilling one anyway, just to see what happens...
Old 04-13-2016, 07:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Yes, in addition to my wife's dislike of LED lights, especially in the bedroom, I'm not happy about the admittedly small parasitic battery draw. That's why I was hoping that I could tap the LED with a drill bit and put it out. If I tape over it, or paint it, I will always know that it is really on, sucking up super-tiny amounts of my precious battery...

I bought 3 of these and will probably only end up installing 2, so maybe I'll try drilling one anyway, just to see what happens...
Some 12V powered USB charging ports draw 15-30 mA (milliamps) when connected to battery power and not charging anything...and as many as 1500mA (1.5A) when charging.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:12 AM   #9

Quote:

12V powered USB charging ports draw 15-30 mA (miliamps) when connected to battery power and not charging anything...and as many as 1500mA (1.5A) when charging.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:36 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Just put a switch in the line, turn it off when not needed on when needed. Some of these leds change color when in use showing state of charge.

LEN
Old 04-13-2016, 11:39 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Just put a switch in the line, turn it off when not needed on when needed. Some of these leds change color when in use showing state of charge.

LEN
Not a bad idea. Doesn't help with the light, since we will mostly use these to charge phones at night so will need them switched on, but at least I wouldn't have the parasitic draw during the day. Will give some thought to this.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:40 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Reminds me of the old VCR tape systems that always seemed to have a blinking time display begging to be set. Black electrical tape solved that.
WYRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:39 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I suggest you buy some of the small brown felt pads and stick one over the LEDs that are bothering you. You can still see a dim light thru the pad, but it won't bother you.

Another way but not reversible is to use a permanent marker to "dye" the LED this will also make it a dim light.

So far as the parasitic current draw of the LED, it depends on the design.

Worst case if it has a series resistor circuit, it is going to use 8 watts per day of power, or 225 watts per month. To put that into context, the usable storage capacity of a typical 12 volt group 24 marine battery is about 1000 watts.

It could use a power efficent LED and use as little as 1 watt per day, but it's unlikely. Only way to tell is to measure the current with a meter. 25 milli-amps = 8 watts per day.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:43 AM   #14

Quote:

Let us know what happens. I installed a new power port that also has USB connections and it also has little blue LED.

Tags
led