Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2014, 05:42 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs down Disappointed with Dish’s 211z Receiver

I have been running a Dish Network 211k receiver in my MH for many years, along with an external hard drive that serves as a DVR. It has worked well, but I am often frustrated with the length of time it takes to acquire satellites and download the program guide. I had heard that Dish’s new 211z receiver was faster during setup, so I decided it was time to upgrade. Unfortunately, this turned out to be more of a “downgrade” for me personally.

I recently installed a new Sony surround sound receiver w/blu-ray, to replace my dead Panasonic sound receiver. The new Sony system has an optical audio port that delivers fantastic sound. This worked well, since my 211k Dish receiver had an optical audio port as well. Unfortunately, the Dish engineers left this option off of the “new and improved” 211z receiver.

My 211k receiver also had an OTA (over-the-air) antenna coax connection, that allowed me to watch OTA broadcasts via my Dish receiver. There are two benefits to this: better sound, as OTA broadcast sound is delivered via the sound receiver instead of the TV speakers, and; most of the OTA broadcast shows are listed in the Dish on-screen program guide. Well the Dish engineers decided we didn’t need an OTA coax connection either. They do offer a device called an OTA dongle which is suppose to allow OTA broadcasts via one of the 211z’s USB ports, so I bought one of those as well....an extra cost of course. I could not get the OTA dongle device to work well. It would only bring in 3 OTA stations while parked here at home, compared to my 211k receiver, which would bring in 39 OTA stations from the same parking spot.

The 211z was however faster when initializing, but that’s about the only good thing I can say about it. All said and done, the 211k has more options and works better for my setup, although it is slower. I re-installed my 211k and I will be returning the 211z and OTA dongle to Camping World this weekend.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2014, 06:02 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
THANK YOU! for that report. I just bought a new MH that is all HDMI and I was thinking of upgrading to a 211z. I will now keep the 211k as I see no reason to upgrade after your report.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:11 PM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
You need to upgrade to the 722
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:46 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeigant View Post
You need to upgrade to the 722
That’s what I initially started out with. The internal DVR hard drive in the 722 can’t handle heat. My receiver cabinet is along the top of the windshield, over the driver’s seat. This area gets a lot of heat during the summer, because of the glass. I fried the hard drives of two consecutive 722's. That’s when it was suggested that I run a 211k with an external hard drive, so that the hard drive could be located elsewhere. I bought a hard drive and use this hard drive enclosure, as it has built in cooling fans. I mounted it in a separate compartment where it is not exposed to the heat of the 211k, which runs very hot. It works very well...I haven't lost a hard drive since. The downside is Dish charges a one-time $99 activation fee to pair the hard drive to the receiver, which I think is ridiculous. I got out of paying it by telling them I would cancel my subscription if they insisted on charging me. They relented and didn’t charge me.

Craig

Old 07-18-2014, 10:10 AM   #5

Wrong info here !
The cost to add a hard drive to the 211K is a one time fee of $40.00
Don/Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:43 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don/Lou View Post
Wrong info here !
The cost to add a hard drive to the 211K is a one time fee of $40.00
You are the one with the wrong info my friend! It use to be $40, it is now $99. Call Dish if you don't believe me...

Old 07-18-2014, 12:39 PM   #7

I have sent a conversation to Ray C @ Dirt to confirm price
Will adv when he answers!
I hadn't heard of a change in price?/
Old 07-18-2014, 12:44 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don/Lou View Post
I have sent a conversation to Ray C @ Dirt to confirm price
Will adv when he answers!
I hadn't heard of a change in price?/
One time fee of $40 is what I've seen...curious to know if it has changed.

See:

http://www.mydish.com/upgrades/produ...d-dvr-storage/
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:58 PM   #9

Reply from dish-who is wrong now!!

Don/Lou, Ray C@DISH Network replied to your personal conversation at SatelliteGuys.

Add HD to 211k price??
Ray C@DISH Network

The activation fee for the 211k to convert to a DVR is $40. Please let me know if you have further questions. Thanks.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:59 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When my old 211k died last year, I bought a new one and had Dish re-activate my hard drive. The tech support guy told me he was not going to charge me the $99 DVR activation fee, since I had already paid it several years ago. I told him that I paid $40 way back when, to which he replied it was now $99. He ended up charging me the $99 anyway. When Dish refused to reverse the charge, I threatened to drop them. As I said earlier, they relented. I didn’t pull this number out of my hat, I got it straight from a Dish rep. Considering you can speak to a person in a different country each time you call, it’s no wonder information from them can vary.

Sorry I was given bad info folks. I'm glad some of you are more tactful than others. After 13 years on this forum, I now have someone to add to my "ignore" list.

Craig

Old 07-18-2014, 04:06 PM   #11

Apoligy accepted!
Don
Old 07-18-2014, 10:22 PM   #12

Jayco Owners Club
OK, my 722 shutdown when it got too hot in Yuma. So, I cut a hole in the side of the cabinet and added a computer fan I got from Amazon. I bought one that runs off USB and powered it via one of those USB chargers. I think 3 volts. Works great.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:32 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig P. View Post
Considering you can speak to a person in a different country each time you call, it’s no wonder information from them can vary.

Craig
Since Christmas, I've been traveling to 3 of the 4 corners of the USA and every month or so I call Dish Network to change my service area for local channels. I am VERY impressed with the quick response time and the agent is always somewhere in the states, never overseas. The last few times, I've gotten a real person in 10-15 seconds after last menu selection. That is the opposite of what I experienced a few yrs ago.

Happy Trails,
Bill
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:59 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the update.. We have been happy with the 211k. We elected Not to put the Dish on the roof and went with Dish 211k and the Tailgater dish. This is the second season with it and it has served us well. Happy with the Tailgater, to many times the roof top dish had tree obstruction on our site. The Tailgater allows us to move the dish to a preferred location. The external DVR works great.

Biggest down fall was that Newmar does not provide a connection for a Ground dish. With customer service help it took about 2 - 3 hours to install.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish