Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2014, 10:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
THANK YOU! for that report. I just bought a new MH that is all HDMI and I was thinking of upgrading to a 211z. I will now keep the 211k as I see no reason to upgrade after your report.
The 211z has HDMI and RCA outputs only. It will work with your new coach. It doesn't have the 75ohm coax output that all of our older coaches have.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2014, 10:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
THANK YOU! for that report. I just bought a new MH that is all HDMI and I was thinking of upgrading to a 211z. I will now keep the 211k as I see no reason to upgrade after your report.
Assuming the 211K doesn't have a heat dissipation issue, there probably is no real reason to switch to a 211Z.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:40 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
When my 722 hard drive failed, I installed a 211k. It doesn't seem to have a problem with heat. The 722 overheated often. I considered upgrading to the 211z, but it didn't seem to be worth it.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:09 AM   #18

As has been mentioned many times you can easily add a coax output to a 211z with an RF modulator, available at any Walmart for $10-$20. There is no easy way to add a digital audio output though. That's not a very common requirement but if you do need it then you might want the 211k.

Otherwise I'd go with the 211z in most cases. It is a newer design, faster, smaller, runs much cooler, and uses less power. I don't see enough reason to upgrade for anyone who already owns a 211k (unless you're having a heat problem), but for a new purchase I'd prefer the newer hardware. There are really only a few rare exceptions, such as when you need a digital audio output as in the OP.

And FWIW my OTA module works perfectly and is at least as sensitive as any other receiver I own. I don't know why the OP had a problem, perhaps he got a defective one.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:31 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post

And FWIW my OTA module works perfectly and is at least as sensitive as any other receiver I own. I don't know why the OP had a problem, perhaps he got a defective one.
Thanks and good to know. My OTA antenna requires +12vdc for the amp and I was wondering if that might have been missing when the module was tried.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:43 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Thanks and good to know. My OTA antenna requires +12vdc for the amp and I was wondering if that might have been missing when the module was tried.
Since USB devices run on 5 volts I doubt there could be 12 volts on the output. But most OTA antennas inject the voltage at the switchplate so there is no need for power from the receiver (?)
Old 07-22-2014, 07:49 AM   #21

Quote:
Since USB devices run on 5 volts I doubt there could be 12 volts on the output. But most OTA antennas inject the voltage at the switchplate so there is no need for power from the receiver (?)
Sorry ... miscommunication here. I was wondering about the possibility of the module being connected and the switchplate either not being in the loop or powered down.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:11 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Sorry ... miscommunication here. I was wondering about the possibility of the module being connected and the switchplate either not being in the loop or powered down.
Ah, I see. Well that would certainly cause a problem. In fact under those circumstances I don't think you'd receive any channels at all.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:26 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
i put a chill mat under mine with 2 fans. Works with a usb on the receiver and I leave the door open and that takes care of most of the heating with the receiver.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Ah, I see. Well that would certainly cause a problem. In fact under those circumstances I don't think you'd receive any channels at all.
If I forget to power up the switchplate I usually get somewhat fuzzy reception of close transmitters ... but I do get 3 or 4.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:13 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's interesting hearing the comments about the 722's failing because of the heat.We have had our rig in Moab in 107 and Ghost Ranch in N.M. for a week at 105 avg and no problems. I have had to replace my Winegard Dish 1000 three times and the last time they charged me for the replacement equipment saying that it was out of warranty. They also said that the shop must have installed it wrong as it had some rust in it. OOppss,but it was two different shops that did the work.
It does bug me that when you are even going 50-60 miles from home, that you sometimes have to call in and do the address bit.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 12:43 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
It does bug me that when you are even going 50-60 miles from home, that you sometimes have to call in and do the address bit.
There is a way to get better range of locals by using Satellite Guys website to find a spot beam that has a large area of the country, that includes where your are and where you going next. There are many choices that overlap, some are quite large that cover several states.

The website will give you a list of states and the cities that have different local channels. Click on a city, and that will bring you to a page of broadcast channels and the satellite spotbeam. Click on the spotbeam and it will bring up a map showing the area of coverage for strong, medium, and weak signal strength.

Try various states/cities and view the spot beams. It's a bit of sample & trial to get the optimum coverage. I'll give you a good example: I was in Iowa, planning to go to Minnesota and then Nebraska. If I picked Minneapolis (spotbeam 60) it would include Iowa & Minn, but not Nebraska. But by picking Rochester, Minn (spotbeam A7), it included all 3 states and more.

I've traveled about 35 states and 2 provinces this year and was able to pick a city that would give me coverage for about a month of traveling. Dish always wants an address, so you do have to look up an address in the city you select, even though you won't be traveling in that city. I usually look up the address of a campground in the city selected.

Hope this helps the traveling RV folks on the road. I know for me, it took away a lot of the mystery of local channel coverage.

Happy Trails,
Bill
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:56 AM   #27

Excellent advice above, that is exactly what I do as well. It greatly reduces the need to change your local channels.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:04 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeigant View Post
OK, my 722 shutdown when it got too hot in Yuma. So, I cut a hole in the side of the cabinet and added a computer fan I got from Amazon. I bought one that runs off USB and powered it via one of those USB chargers. I think 3 volts. Works great.
mine also shut down from too much heat. I added a 4 inch computer fan along side the 722 and never had it happen again.

Tags
dish