Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2014, 06:30 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeekid View Post
Mine runs so hot I look at it as a possible source of FIRE, I mean you can't put you hand on it, its that hot, that could cause a fire, this thing should have been recalled if others have had the same problem, is that why they came out with the 211Z ? Who do we get in touch with to make this problem known. I don't leave mine plugged in because of this issue. Would like to hear from more people with the 211z and if it runs cooler if that is the consensus I will scrap this one and get the 211z, what are the advantages over the 211k other than the heat issue. Is it better, receive more satellites? Thanks in advance. Jim
I checked my 211k and was surprised how hot it was while it was turned off. I unplugged it till I use it again. Thanks for posting.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2014, 06:58 PM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My 211K runs hot. I have it in a cabinet, that I open when I use it to keep cool air flowing. BUT that said most of the time I do not even use it. Use the RV park cable. I also use the Dish pay as you go, and it is currently not set to work and I keep it unplugged when it is dish is off the satellite.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:18 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 211K also runs pretty hot. I keep the cabinet door open when operating it. I installed a power strip in the cabinet with velcro so I can turn it off when not using it. I found that even when it was off ( or at least no lights on) it was pretty warm.
Tpflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:24 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpflyer View Post
My 211K also runs pretty hot. I keep the cabinet door open when operating it. I installed a power strip in the cabinet with velcro so I can turn it off when not using it. I found that even when it was off ( or at least no lights on) it was pretty warm.
When the 211K is "off" it's actually in standby mode so a lot of the electronics are still running and generating heat. Turning off the power strip will certainly allow it to cool down, but then I'd have to run setup every time it's powered back on. I just ordered one of these Cabcool 802U Dual 80mm USB Powered Cabinet Cooling Kit to install on the back wall of the cabinet. It will push the hot air out to the void above the windshield.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:37 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I recently purchased a 211z and still have my old 211. I was told at a recent rally that a Dish tech had said that two receivers could be run off one tailgater, but I cannot find any documentation on that.

Has anyone tried that? If that is possible I would put one in the bedroom and one in the lounge.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:40 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
When the 211K is "off" it's actually in standby mode so a lot of the electronics are still running and generating heat. Turning off the power strip will certainly allow it to cool down, but then I'd have to run setup every time it's powered back on. I just ordered one of these Cabcool 802U Dual 80mm USB Powered Cabinet Cooling Kit to install on the back wall of the cabinet. It will push the hot air out to the void above the windshield.
I like the idea of installing the fan but this one is USB powered and the 211K only has 1 USB port. I use that USB port for my external DVR hard drive. However now that I have a powerstrip installed I can install a 120V fan, which I just so happen to have one laying around in my basement.
Tpflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:45 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
I recently purchased a 211z and still have my old 211. I was told at a recent rally that a Dish tech had said that two receivers could be run off one tailgater, but I cannot find any documentation on that.

Has anyone tried that? If that is possible I would put one in the bedroom and one in the lounge.
I don't think so. The Tailgater only has one coax output and it doesn't understand multiple TV's. I just bought a Pathway X2 and it has 2 outputs. When I run the Dish setup program it asks how many TV's (one or two) will be used and if the answer is 2 then the dish locks on to one satellite (can't remember which) that provides most of Dish Network's SD programming.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:52 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post

Nope. Just one receiver with the Tailgater.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:02 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Have 2- 211K both run hot just 2 weeks ago one 211K stopped working will not even turn on, bought a new 211Z to replace burned out unit that was only 17 months old
Old 08-14-2014, 03:15 PM   #24

Have used a 211K for over two years, both with TT and our cabin. It does get a little warm but nothing that concerns me.
Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:24 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
We are FTers and have the 211k installed in a cabinet over the passenger seat. Yes, it does get hot. I also use a power strip to plug in the external HD, the 211k, and the controller box for the Trav'ler on the roof. I purchased a $7 (I believe) 120-volt fan from Walmart which I run continuously while the satellite is in use. It works great. Pushes the hot air out the vents in the front and the bottom of the cabinet. Cheap addition and it's also plugged into the power strip so that everything is easily turned off when we move on to our next destination.
sfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I found a Wineguard automatic antennae on Ebay for about half price. It was new in a damaged box, but the factory had examined it and declared it fine and still under warranty. Had it installed two weeks ago and now am running two receivers and two TVS. Works great!

Still have the Tailgater in case of trees.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:07 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dish 211K Receiver

I have had the same 211K receiver for 9 years. It does get very hot but it has never failed. Prior to the 211K, I had a dish receiver with a built-in DVR. I switched to the 211K with the external hard drive after the summer heat destroyed two consecutive DVR hard drives.

A couple of months ago I "upgraded" to Dish's 211Z receiver. Big mistake...the 211Z does not have a coax connection that enables you to watch OTA channels on your receiver, as the 211K does. You have to buy a separate OTA "dongle" that connects between the OTA coax and one of the 211Z's USB ports. It didn't work worth a darn, so I packaged if all back up, returned it to CW and reactivated my good ole 211K. I'm a Gadget Man, but sometimes an upgrade can have the opposite effect.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:58 AM   #28

As mentioned earlier the lack of an RF output on the 211z is inconsequential since an adapter can be purchased at any Walmart for $10-$20. Frankly since an NTSC RF output doesn't even achieve SD specs I'd advise replacing any TVs this ancient with an HD set since they're so inexpensive nowadays.

With regard to the USB OTA module for the 211z, don't know what to tell ya, mine works great. Very good sensitivity, the OTA stations show up on the program guide, etc., IOW the same functionality as any other OTA tuner and there's no difference in performance that I can tell. If anything the OTA dongle (being newer hardware) seems to be a little more sensitive than the built-ins.

I'd agree that the 211z isn't so much as an 'upgrade' over the 211k since functionality is essentially the same, and if you have a 211k that's working well for you then might as well stick with it. But IMO for any new purchase the 211z is preferable due to the newer hardware and resultant smaller footprint, lower power consumption, and the tendency to run so much cooler than the 211k thus avoiding all of the heat-related issues reported in this thread and elsewhere.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish