Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2017, 08:07 AM   #15

Post #3 is talking about using a Tailgater dish which requires a VIP211 or Wally.

This would not be the first time a Dish CSR gets it totally wrong if you mention the word RV.

Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2017, 09:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
Post #3 is talking about using a Tailgater dish which requires a VIP211 or Wally.

This would not be the first time a Dish CSR gets it totally wrong if you mention the word RV.
If a Tailgater requires a VIP211 or Wally then the poster was not using one because he said he has a Hopper.

But yes, CS is hardly the last word. I guess we don't know for certain what the hardware restriction matrix is until we get some more confirmation.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:11 AM   #17

I meant the CSR was talking about the Tailgater require. Most calls to Dish CSRs when the word RV in mentioned immediately jumps to the Tailgater and VIP 211 script because they believe that RVers only use Pay-As-You-Go and a Tailgater dish. Neither is true.

Having used DNS with a VIP612, VIP622, VIP722K and a Hopper, I can state that DNS doesn't have a hardware/software requirement. DNS is strictly a function of certain transceivers being enabled.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:14 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
I meant the CSR was talking about the Tailgater require. Most calls to Dish CSRs when the word RV in mentioned immediately jumps to the Tailgater and VIP 211 script because they believe that RVers only use Pay-As-You-Go and a Tailgater dish. Neither is true.

Having used DNS with a VIP612, VIP622, VIP722K and a Hopper, I can state that DNS doesn't have a hardware/software requirement. DNS is strictly a function of certain transceivers being enabled.
Understand. That does make more sense.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:50 AM   #19
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Has anyone signed-up yet to know the equipment required for sure?
Reading that the Wally was required, but maybe not.

I can't really see why any 211 with upgraded firmware can't get this.

We had the old 3rd party DNS for Dish and it was nice and simple to have so...
We'll be looking into this, especially since the "locals" are billed as a separate $10 pack, now.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:45 AM   #20

When the Locals changed to a $10 add-on, the subscription packages were reduced $10 so it was a wash.

No special equipment is required. If you are receiving Dish channels now, your receiver will work. Some Dish CSRs get wrapped around the axle when you say RV and immediately go to the current Tailgater/receiver combination.

To me. I tolerated the old DNS because it was only in SD but you got NY and LA. I am not sure I would want to deal with Prime Time being 11:00 PM - 1: AM in the East. Changing Locals has gotten so easy these days.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:30 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Has anyone signed-up yet to know the equipment required for sure?
Reading that the Wally was required, but maybe not.

I can't really see why any 211 with upgraded firmware can't get this.

We had the old 3rd party DNS for Dish and it was nice and simple to have so...
We'll be looking into this, especially since the "locals" are billed as a separate $10 pack, now.
We have the LA locals now using our Vip 211k and Winegard Traveler. Haven't tried the pathway X2 yet but don't see why that wouldn't work.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:32 AM   #22
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeffrey View Post
We have the LA locals now using our Vip 211k and Winegard Traveler. Haven't tried the pathway X2 yet but don't see why that wouldn't work.
Thank you...
And just to be sure I understand - do you have the LA locals or the DNS LA affiliates?

There's reportedly a big difference. The regular LA locals include over a dozen channels...and the spot beam signal fades around Las Vegas (northbound on I-15).
The DNS is advertised as only 4 networks and shouldn't drop.

Actually it is very easy to ID the difference...what channels are you getting these affiliates on?
I can be check that on "the satellite guys" SAT listing.

Thanks again
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 08-20-2017, 12:36 AM   #23

If i recall correctly, it is KABC, KNBC, KCBS, and a four one which is probably Fox.

I can't check because they sent me an email noticing that my motor home registration expires in September.

I up loaded the email confirmations for renewal as I haven't received the new registration in the mail yet.

Even explained that I lived on the road and probably wouldn't get the actual registration for a few weeks.

Will call tomorrow and give then a piece of my mind for cutting me off before the end of September.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:45 PM   #24
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well...bit the bullet today and completed the forms and submission process for DNS with a nice lady from Dish Customer Service.

Forms were "uploaded" at Dish.com.
Only problem (no biggie) was the forms had to be in an image format to upload (like JPG, not PDF).

Should see the DNS channels pop-up on the guide within 14 calendar (after they review my application)...or need to call.

We are looking forward this renewed option. We had DNS from the 3rd party provider back before it was dropped, years ago and found it SO easy when moving around.
Being from SoCal, Los Angeles networks will be no issue for us.

Have NO IDEA why there is no east coast alternative...first time the right coast was ever not favored by any company

The agent confirmed that we can drop the "locals" (same pack price) if desired. We will do this after we are confirmed as getting the DNS channels.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 09-16-2017, 03:47 PM   #25
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
DNS Has Been Activated

That didn't take long...signed-up Sept06 with the help of a very nice customer service agent on the phone (uploaded documents and confirmed RV account).

Mid-day today (I have been checking twice a day) the CONUS feeds popped-up for the 4 LA networks (KABC-9655, KCBS-9656, KNBC-9657, and KTTV-9658). And, they are in beautiful HD.
I don't see a PBS affiliate, but that wasn't expected.

Our first 211 got the "activation" first...the second followed a few minutes later.

We are still getting the locals for our current "service" location too - as we have for all the years since the old DNS was ended. The CS Agent said we could remove the locals if/when we desired, but didn't have to.

We have very much enjoyed receiving the locals by spot-beams, and have had no problems changing them as we moved about...so, before cancelling the locals on our program pack, we'll have to see how the DNS feed works for us.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 09-18-2017, 09:57 AM   #26
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
DNS Activation Notice

Didn't see it 'til later...about the same time the channels popped-up on the receivers, Dish sent us e-mail notification to the e-mail on the account, reporting DNS had been approved and activated.

Pretty great Customer Service experience for us.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 09-19-2017, 09:20 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
What senarios would one want this?

I use chat to change service address to wherever I am so as to get the local stations where I am. Local weather, traffic, etc.
2 pages and no one has answered this. Why would you want this? What is the benefit?
CarolynanBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:33 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynanBob View Post
2 pages and no one has answered this. Why would you want this? What is the benefit?
I can think of two benefits offhand:

1. You don't need to contact Dish to set your receiver to the correct 'locals' spot beam every time you move more than a few hundred miles.

2. You do not have to constantly reset DVR timers for OTA programming.

How important either of these are depends on the user, but if they bother you then DNS solves them. Personally the lack of PBS and the west-coast only feed would limit the utility too much for DNS service to be worth it to me, but if the offering matures and corrects these deficiencies then I think it would be worth having.

The disadvantage of DNS is that sometimes you want local locals, as in the weather and news in Los Angeles does you no good if you are in Miami. But I guess you can always subscribe to both local and DNS services. Again, I don't see why one would bother given the current kinda weak DNS offering, but YMMV.

Tags
dish, service