Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2017, 04:24 AM   #43

Just did it to change to Dayton yesterday. 4 Minutes till l had the Dayton locals. Rebooting the receiver does not speed up the channel change, so take the receiver reboot time out of your wait.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2017, 05:05 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Good for you, Bruceisla to escape

Did you dump the locals in trade for DNS - or just dump the broadcast networks in total?

I agree as said above, the DNS broadcast networks in Pacific Time are not the best for a large part of the US market. Wonder why Dish didn't start with a major east coast market (maybe ATL or NYC)...maybe those affiliates wanted too much in rebroadcast fees(?).

I hope my comments about hurricanes are NOT seen by anyone to diminish the horrors of these killer storms. We lived through many hurricanes - unable to evacuate - being identified as "mission critical" personnel. They are terrible. So glad anyone reading this survived Irma. Some did not

Safe travels
Dumped Locals entirely. I've been staying in locations with cable. Not good, but watchable for the few times we watch Locals. I usually get good OTA for football season. I get weather from the internet. So far, not missing the Dish Locals. Never had a problem changing Locals via Chat ... just thought I'd save $10/mo. Not a huge deal but a few bucks to put towards internet (Mobley).

And ... I don't have to do the 2 receiver workaround any more.

As for the comment ... no worries ... I don't think anyone took exception ... and the weather is getting weirder every year. The good news is that forecast models seem to be much better. We waited 1 night at White Springs FL (centerline of Fl near GA) to wait for turn of Irma. Then we made our north/east/west decision. I did re-learn the reason for keeping the fuel topped off.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:58 AM   #45

Quote:
Yes, the chat part of the routine can take just a few minutes...but wouldn't you agree that:
*there can be a wait for the Rep to start the chat,
*there will always be a delay waiting for the authorization to come down on the raw SAT,
*if you restart the receiver to prompt the local channels to change, the receiver will want to download program data.

All these things make the total time 20 min or more for us.

Safe travels

Yes, I agree. And I'm hoping it's not just coincidence, but after 20 times, it seems like a trend, it's not taking more than a few minutes total, receiver does not need to restart..
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:53 PM   #46

We are also trying to work with a Wally that came with our Pathways X2 as a package. There appears to be no way we can save our satellite settings and guide as we go from gen time to solar with inverter or any kind of power loss even momentary losses. The acquisition of signal and guide download apparently cannot be saved or stored in an eprom.
Have you spoken with any Wally users of a way to keep settings after a power source switch?
Tip47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:25 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tip47 View Post
We are also trying to work with a Wally that came with our Pathways X2 as a package. There appears to be no way we can save our satellite settings and guide as we go from gen time to solar with inverter or any kind of power loss even momentary losses. The acquisition of signal and guide download apparently cannot be saved or stored in an eprom.
Have you spoken with any Wally users of a way to keep settings after a power source switch?
I don't think you can force the unit to keep settings and program data without power...but...

...There is an easy fix for this that might also increase the life-span of your Wally...add an Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS).
Like: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K8ZMTAQ

The UPS electronics will provide power no matter what...switch between shore, gennie, or inverter at will. AND, the right kind of UPS will condition the power for a better environment to the Wally.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:51 AM   #48

Quote:
I don't think you can force the unit to keep settings and program data without power...but...

...There is an easy fix for this that might also increase the life-span of your Wally...add an Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS).
Like: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K8ZMTAQ

The UPS electronics will provide power no matter what...switch between shore, gennie, or inverter at will. AND, the right kind of UPS will condition the power for a better environment to the Wally.

Best luck
I like that idea !! However, I think I'll look for a PSW version. Probably not necessary for the Wally but my other audio/video "stuff" doesn't like MSW.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:02 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dumped the "locals" today...saving $10 a month.

We haven't watched the locals provided by Dish since getting DNS and the OTA tuner is always there for when we are within range of their antenna.

Yes, the local news from L.A. is "different", or maybe "special" is a better word to describe the anchors on their local TV news programs (much like the cast of a Telenovela - these are some beautiful people ).
Plus it is interesting, how many police/car chases there are in the L.A. area (almost daily)
But the network content is just like everywhere else.

We've never dropped or added service before...it was SO EASY - on-line at the "My Account" page of MyDish dot Com. The change took place in less than 1 hour.

We're very pleased with this change in offering at Dish
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:03 AM   #50

5 minute dish CHAT?

My hat is off to the poster that has consistently experienced 5 minutes from beginning of CHAT to receiving new local stations.

My experience has been that 3 out of 5 times the process takes 15 to 20 minutes. The other 2 times out of 5, I have to recontact CHAT to request the change all over again. It's generally a case of the original CHAT CSR not following through with everything that needed to be done, like sending an update signal to my DVR. On occasion it has taken 3 attempts.

I wish that one day they would simply set up a web page that would allow us to enter the new zip code of our current location and everything would be handled automatically.

We travel with a VIP722 and Winegard Traveler mounted on the roof.
fnej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:33 AM   #51

I too experience an average of 5 minutes or less for a Chat change of Service Address, I have a scrip I post at the beginning after I had my account number and PIN ready.

"I am an RVer and have just move to a new location. I need to change my Service Address (only) to New Pace, Anywhere, TC 78572 and have the Locals changed to that location. Leave the Billing Address as it is."

Having the information ready makes for a quick Service Address change. Yes I would like a web page to change my Service Address but it doesn't take much longer using Chat.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:37 AM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
The key is dumping a script that’s complete on them name account number etc
Here’s mine

Dish Network
Hello , thank you
I am in a RV and
I have changed locations. The satellite dish and receivers have been set up and are working.
So that I can receive the local channels in our new location. Please change my SERVICE address to
Insert address here

Please be sure to delete the old local channel location.

NOTE !
My BILLING address does not change.
Again ,I am in a RV

Thank you!
Name
Phone number on account

Acct # Xxxxxxxx.

Works almost every time and have no problems 5-10 min max make sure the TVs are on and waiting just to be sure they are connected.

I add the RV part because they were occasionally wanting to send a tech out to change me to Eastern dish .. when I traveled in eastern areas this seemed to stop that.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:20 AM   #53

What amount of taxes are those who have switched to LA DNS paying?
I know mine changes everytime I switch locals as we move. Here in New Orleans I was paying a 3 cent FCC Surcharge, in Nasheville, TN I was paying an additional $6.35 Satellite Sales Tax.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:35 AM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have all of our local stations on my IPhone. I can access them anytime, anywhere that I have service. We have unlimited data so it's not a problem. If you check with your local stations I am sure they have the link that you need. I can also get them on my laptop.

As far as programs that I like, I can get most of them on Dish anywhere we are.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:45 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post
What amount of taxes are those who have switched to LA DNS paying?
I know mine changes everytime I switch locals as we move. Here in New Orleans I was paying a 3 cent FCC Surcharge, in Nasheville, TN I was paying an additional $6.35 Satellite Sales Tax.
I need to change my location to new Orleans...

In Georgetown TX I was paying...

Taxes

11/16/17 State/Local Tax (Sales) 6.13

Surcharges

11/16/17 State Cost Recovery Fee 0.48

11/16/17 FCC Regulatory Fee 0.03

In Williston, Fl...

12/16/17 Communications Services Tax 8.34

12/16/17 Video Gross Receipts Tax 2.18

$10.52

Surcharges

12/16/17 FCC Regulatory Fee 0.03
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:45 PM   #56

I submitted my forms today, hopefully won't be long before they appear.

The number listed on the form, 1-866-974-2817, is no longer in service. The number to get to the DNS folks, without going through the long Dish menu, is 1-866-974-1848. At least, that is what the lady said.

Tags
dish, service