Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2018, 11:50 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Dish DVR In Stick House And Motor Home

We presently have two, TiVo enabled, THR22 Directv DVR's. Due to a botched transfer of Directv accounts to an AT&T billing system, we THR22 subscribers have lost all DVR capability. Our DVR, for which we continue to pay supporting fees, is now basically a vanilla IRD. We THR22 accounts are getting no information or help from DTV. The only thing DTV has offered is to replace the THR22's with their HR 24 or HR 54 DVR's. The GUI is really bad which is why we have the TiVo based THR22's to begin with. Therefore we are exploring DISH.

I'm sure the information lurks somewhere in this forum but I've been unable to reconcile what I was told by DISH and Solid Signal yesterday.

With our current DTV configuration we can pick up one of the DVR's, carry it out to the coach, plug it in to the antenna and the TV and we're good to go.

DISH and Solid Signal both said that was not possible to duplicate with DISH products. That's hard to understand given all the really well-presented configurations that TechWriter has provided. My impression is that DISH is suggesting an IRD (Wally?) with an add-on hard drive for the coach to simulate a DVR. However, it sounded like it would behave more like a VCR.

The DISH CSR implied that DISH prohibited DVR's (Hopper?) from being moved from the installed location to a mobile installation. Yet I see many of you with DISH setups talking about DVR's in your RV's.

We would install a DISH-compatible Trav'ler on the coach.

What's the deal here?

TIA
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2018, 12:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCoDave View Post
We presently have two, TiVo enabled, THR22 Directv DVR's. Due to a botched transfer of Directv accounts to an AT&T billing system, we THR22 subscribers have lost all DVR capability. Our DVR, for which we continue to pay supporting fees, is now basically a vanilla IRD. We THR22 accounts are getting no information or help from DTV. The only thing DTV has offered is to replace the THR22's with their HR 24 or HR 54 DVR's. The GUI is really bad which is why we have the TiVo based THR22's to begin with. Therefore we are exploring DISH.

I'm sure the information lurks somewhere in this forum but I've been unable to reconcile what I was told by DISH and Solid Signal yesterday.

With our current DTV configuration we can pick up one of the DVR's, carry it out to the coach, plug it in to the antenna and the TV and we're good to go.

DISH and Solid Signal both said that was not possible to duplicate with DISH products. That's hard to understand given all the really well-presented configurations that TechWriter has provided. My impression is that DISH is suggesting an IRD (Wally?) with an add-on hard drive for the coach to simulate a DVR. However, it sounded like it would behave more like a VCR.

The DISH CSR implied that DISH prohibited DVR's (Hopper?) from being moved from the installed location to a mobile installation. Yet I see many of you with DISH setups talking about DVR's in your RV's.

We would install a DISH-compatible Trav'ler on the coach.

What's the deal here?

TIA
We bought an external hard drive (Western Digital) and just plug it into the Dish receiver. That is how the DVR works with a 211 receiver. Had to pay a one time fee to have the DVR added to my account. Works great. However, it does not allow for moving the DVR (hard drive) back and forth between the house and the RV. Incompatible formats.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:11 PM   #3

Thanks for the response.

Are you saying that you can pick up the remote control in the RV and scroll to a screen that says something like "Find Programs" then tap in the program name (or keyword or actor) and have it find all occurrences meeting those conditions in the Guide? Then have it record those programs? Break it down by "First Run Only" or "First Run and Repeats"? Enter in 20 or more such scheduled events and prioritize them?

That's what we have now and are trying to replace and duplicate with DISH.

P.S. On edit - when we pick up one of our DVR's now and take it to the coach, all of the prerecorded programs are still available when the DVR is hooked up in the coach.
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
Old 08-09-2018, 06:21 PM   #4

Quote:
. . . I've been unable to reconcile what I was told by DISH and Solid Signal yesterday.

DISH and Solid Signal both said that was not possible to duplicate with DISH products.

Exactly. DISH and Solid Signal would not be my goto info source on this stuff. I guess that's why you're here. Here's are some sources I would recommend:Despite what DISH and SS say, yes, you can use your Hopper in your RV. You just have DISH install it in your home. Then when you hit the road, take the Hopper in your RV.

However . . . some gotchas . . .

MAJOR GOTCHA: You'll need either the expensive, but easy-to-use rooftop Winegard Travler dish (~ $1200) or a tripod-mounted open-faced dish like the 1000.2. Much cheaper, but a PITA to set up.

MINOR GOTCHA: When you travel out of your "home" TV area (typically a few hundred miles), you'll have to contact DISH and change your Service Address to where you're currently camped. You do this to get the local TV channels near your campground.

Quote:
Are you saying that you can pick up the remote control in the RV and scroll to a screen that says something like "Find Programs" then tap in the program name (or keyword or actor) and have it find all occurrences meeting those conditions in the Guide? Then have it record those programs? Break it down by "First Run Only" or "First Run and Repeats"? Enter in 20 or more such scheduled events and prioritize them?

That's what we have now and are trying to replace and duplicate with DISH.

P.S. On edit - when we pick up one of our DVR's now and take it to the coach, all of the prerecorded programs are still available when the DVR is hooked up in the coach.
To answer all your above questions, I don't know.

Here's what I do know about the Hopper 3 (BTW, you want a Hopper 3, not a Hopper 2) . . .
  • It has 16 tuners. If you enable PTAT (Prime Time Any Time), then you'll "only" have 15 tuners left. I record a lot of shows and have (so far) not run out of tuners or DVR space.
  • PTAT records ALL the prime time shows on ABC, CBS, ABC, and Fox -- Monday thru Sunday.
  • Hopper 3 "apps" -- Netflix and YouTube to name two.
  • DISH Anywhere -- allows you to watch whatever is on your Hopper (live & recorded shows) on an iPad/iPhone/Android. Handy when you're outside your RV and want to catch news, sports, etc.
  • Your Hopper will remember your Timers (shows you want to record) whether you're at home or in your RV.
  • All your pre-recorded DVR shows are available whether you're at home or in your RV.

Finally, if you don't want to take your home Hopper with you because of the antenna issue, you can use a DISH Wally receiver with an external hard drive and then buy an automatic dish like the Pathway X2. However, because the Wally only has 1 tuner, it makes a lousy DVR. It's more like a VCR like you said.

Another option is the Hopper Go.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:52 PM   #5

Thank you, TechWriter, for your comprehensive, informative response. This gives us hope that we can re-establish DVR happiness in both our stick house and the coach. There are moving parts here that will have to get lined up to make the switch.

We have an an appointment and quote to get the Trav'ler installed on the coach in October. We just need to flip the switch to the Dish vs DTV model. But the stick house can be addressed before that.

We'll be in touch.

Thanks again,
Old 08-10-2018, 08:47 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
When we had the InMotion dome we couldn't record one program and watch another program with our Wally. Now that we have the Trav'ler and using the same Wallys we can record one and watch one or we can record two channels but can NOT watch another.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Exactly. DISH and Solid Signal would not be my goto info source on this stuff. I guess that's why you're here.
OK, so what do we do to get a DISH experience similar to what we used to have with DTV?

Here's an overview of where we're at.

Current DTV Configuration:

Slimline 3 antenna on pole in back yard. Multi-Switch and no SWM. Two CoAx pairs (4 coaxial cables) from antenna to house. One pair to each of two THR22 DVR's through B-Band Converters. These are TiVo enabled HD DVR's supported (so say) by DTV. One DVR for each TV. They are not connected to each other.

No phone connection and no internet connection.

When traveling in RV one DVR in the residence with its respective prerecorded programs, is disconnected from its CoAx cable pair and associated TV and physically taken to the coach. There it's connected to the coach's antenna via a CoAx cable pair (two coaxial cables) and a distribution switch/box via RG-type CoAx. The two TV's in the coach get their respective DVR feed from the switch/box. The DVR remaining in the residence is powered off during our absence.

Programming:
Given that these things are not ala carte, it's understood that to get a particular channel a package including other channels is often required. From what little I understand, it looks like the DISH package next to the top has most of the channels we currently receive. (America’s Top 200, 240+ Channels)

We have the basic "cable" channels and some content-specific channels like DIY, GAC, AHC, VEL, etc.

We do not watch movies or sports or listen to music on the TV.

We do not do social media such as Facebook, Twitter, etc.

We do not want our TV's to touch the internet, nor do we want the internet to touch our TV's.

We do not watch TV on our phones, tablets, PC's, etc.

All that said, we do have a MiFi Hot Spot running 100% of the time in the residence or the coach consistent with our personal physical location. Given today's technological possibilities, we want to have a way to make sure our TV infrastructure does not connect to the internet. It cannot connect through our MiFi because we filter based on MAC address.

We want to be able to pick up a remote and set up multiple recording actions based on program name or keyword or actor name or time & channel that will execute on a one-time or recurring basis as desired. First-run or including repeats, as desired.

We've no desire to issue commands vocally.

We will have a Winegard Trav'ler antenna installed on the coach.

To the extent practical, we'd like to duplicate the above - except we'd like it to work. DTV shut down the DVR service for our model of DVR.

TIA
Old 08-10-2018, 08:45 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
> Are you saying that you can pick up the remote control in the RV
> and scroll to a screen that says something like "Find Programs"
> then tap in the program name (or keyword or actor)
> and have it find all occurrences meeting those conditions in the Guide?
> Then have it record those programs? Break it down by "First Run Only"
> or "First Run and Repeats"?
> Enter in 20 or more such scheduled events and prioritize them?
>
> That's what we have now and are trying to replace and duplicate with DISH.

If you get the Hopper 3 and the triple LNB Sat Dish (see TechWriter's excellent post) ...

Dish Hopper 3 has Prime Time Anytime this records in HD all prime time programs on CBS, NBC, ABC, and FOX. It keeps 8 days worth. When traveling in the RV you have to have the Hopper 3 on, Sats acquired, have your service address matching where you are, be in a market with the networks in HD, and finally be connected after your service update long enough before prime time to get a Guide Update for this to work. Note that PBS is not part of Prime Time Anytime you have to set those up like cable or independent network shows.

If you want to keep a prime time show longer than the 8 days you select it and select "save show or save series".

You can search in all the ways you describe that your TIVO can.

You can filter NEW or NEW and REPEATS like your TIVO can. Hopper 3 is smart enough not to record multiple copies of same episode no matter how many times it is shown.

Hopper 3 can record up to 16 things at once so priority is not important, but you can set priority and raise / lower as you wish.

Dish has the 30 second forward skip and 10 second reverse skip feature similar to TIVO.

For some but not all channels Dish has automatic commercial skip. For those without it I just push the 30 second skip button to blast thru the commercials.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post

If you get the Hopper 3 and the triple LNB Sat Dish (see TechWriter's excellent post) ...

I've read TechWriter's post and others that say the Hopper 3 is the way to go. So far, so good.

Dish Hopper 3 has Prime Time Anytime this records in HD all prime time programs on CBS, NBC, ABC, and FOX. It keeps 8 days worth. When traveling in the RV you have to have the Hopper 3 on, Sats acquired, have your service address matching where you are, be in a market with the networks in HD, and finally be connected after your service update long enough before prime time to get a Guide Update for this to work. Note that PBS is not part of Prime Time Anytime you have to set those up like cable or independent network shows.

I doubt we'll enable the PTAT feature at home or on the road.

If you want to keep a prime time show longer than the 8 days you select it and select "save show or save series".

You can filter NEW or NEW and REPEATS like your TIVO can. Hopper 3 is smart enough not to record multiple copies of same episode no matter how many times it is shown.

Hopper 3 can record up to 16 things at once so priority is not important, but you can set priority and raise / lower as you wish.

Dish has the 30 second forward skip and 10 second reverse skip feature similar to TIVO.

For some but not all channels Dish has automatic commercial skip. For those without it I just push the 30 second skip button to blast thru the commercials.

Good to know. I assume one can simply "fast-forward" as well.
Thanks, Randy, for the info.

One thing I've not seen written is how robust the Hopper 3 is with respect to temperature. The entertainment gear in the coach is in a cubby hole that can get warm if the sun is hitting that part of the coach. I've installed a thermostatically controlled fan in there to circulate fresh air through the compartment. Our TiVo's can get up to 47-48c.

Thanks again. Learning more every day.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:24 AM   #10

Quote:
If we have a Hopper 3 and some flavor of Joey to cover the two TV's can this be done from either remote?

In the coach it does not matter much. But at home, DW is going to want to schedule recording of programs and watch them on her TV independently of what's happening, if anything, on the other TV.

I've looked at TechWriter's very fine diagrams of possible configurations but still need to determine which one best meets our needs and order up the installation.

The Hopper 3 is a given, I think, but what kind of Joey should we have? We might not even need a Joey in the coach. The Hopper 3 can feed, via a composite video to coax converter, the second coach TV as we do now. The second TV in the coach is basically a second monitor when viewing satellite stuff. We just switch the TV's connection to the batwing via the "Box-Of-Many-Buttons" for OTA.

We don't use a tripod-mounted external satellite antenna at the coach. If the rooftop antenna can't see the satellite we don't bother.

Thanks again to everyone for their inputs.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:45 PM   #11

Quote:
If we have a Hopper 3 and some flavor of Joey to cover the two TV's can this be done from either remote?

In the coach it does not matter much. But at home, DW is going to want to schedule recording of programs and watch them on her TV independently of what's happening, if anything, on the other TV.
No problem. A Hopper will have it's own remote and each TV will be connected via a Joey (see below). Each Joey will have its own remote.

From each TV you can record, schedule, delete, and playback TV programs on the Hopper DVR.

Quote:
I've looked at TechWriter's very fine diagrams of possible configurations but still need to determine which one best meets our needs and order up the installation.
Here's how you could wire an RV for a Hopper 3 and 0, 1, or 2 Joey 2s (or 4K Joeys): Hopper 3 + Joeys in an RV

Quote:
The Hopper 3 is a given, I think, but what kind of Joey should we have? We might not even need a Joey in the coach. The Hopper 3 can feed, via a composite video to coax converter, the second coach TV as we do now. The second TV in the coach is basically a second monitor when viewing satellite stuff. We just switch the TV's connection to the batwing via the "Box-Of-Many-Buttons" for OTA.

We don't use a tripod-mounted external satellite antenna at the coach. If the rooftop antenna can't see the satellite we don't bother.
With a Hopper 3, you can use 3 possible Joeys:
If you have other TVs in your RV that are connected using a coax cable, then you just connect a Joey to that coax and connect the Joey to the TV.

BTW, in order to operate, Joeys must be connected to a Hopper. If you take your home Hopper on the road and leave the Joeys behind, they won't record anything on their own. However, Hoppers work just fine on their own.

The BOMB is no longer needed. You can just connect your batwing to DISH's OTA tuner and plug the OTA tuner into one of the Hopper's USB port. Here's how
DISH Explains The OTA Feature.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:43 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Like any residential electronic box the Hopper 3 must be kept at room temperature. If you can stand the room temperature the Hopper 3 will tolerate it too. The Hopper 3 uses about 30-40 watts when on or off and power is applied.

I stacked some felt pads behind the cabinet door so it does not close quite all the way so I get some ventilation. When sun is hitting the wall behind the cabinet I open the door all the way. It will overheat and shut down if it gets too hot.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
No problem. A Hopper will have it's own remote and each TV will be connected via a Joey (see below). Each Joey will have its own remote.

From each TV you can record, schedule, delete, and playback TV programs on the Hopper DVR.

That's great news. Are both remotes equally capable? I'm thinking of reversing the typical lay out in the stick house. Put the Hopper 3 in DW's space and the Joey in the living room where 95% of the TV watching and equipment programming gets done. The reason being that when it's time to travel it's much simpler to pull a DVR from DW's stand than the stuffed cabinet in the living room.

Here's how you could wire an RV for a Hopper 3 and 0, 1, or 2 Joey 2s (or 4K Joeys): Hopper 3 + Joeys in an RV
Thanks for the diagram.

The BOMB is no longer needed. You can just connect your batwing to DISH's OTA tuner and plug the OTA tuner into one of the Hopper's USB port.
That's cunning. Almost makes me want to put up an OTA antenna here at the house.
Quote:
I stacked some felt pads behind the cabinet door so it does not close quite all the way so I get some ventilation. It will overheat and shut down if it gets too hot.
Thanks, Randy, for the response. It's understood that being a piece of consumer electronics it's expected to be installed in a "room temperature" environment. The older Series II TiVo's were not all that tolerant of the upper end of the "room temperature" environment. The current THR22 TiVo seems oblivious to temperature. I was just wondering if there is a history of Hopper 3 and Joey dying prematurely when installed in an RV.

Thanks again to everyone for the information. It's been helpful.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:02 PM   #14

KZ RV Club
My goal is to have hopper 3 and what is needed for two other TV’s in 5er. I have someone that will install Travler and wire it to match the wiring diagram on the forum that works with hybrid and solo hub, etc. Since I. Have sold my S&B how should I go about getting the hopper from Dish? Can I just schedule an install when I plan to be in RV Park for a month? Can I agree to like 12 or 24 month contract to get Dish to supply Hopper and Joey’s? Thanks in advance just trying to call the right people first.
baranski37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish