Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
Please explain this a little more. I just called Dish, and it was like pulling teeth just to get them to agree to send me a DVR and setup the service, so I didn't do it yet. They would only allow me to use it on a monthly basis. When you "Disconnect" are you cancelling the service or exactly what?

1) With the pay as you go service you have to purchase your equipment from a DISH retailer or Camping World, etc. You cannot lease it like on a monthly contract. You own the equipment.
2) Once you have the equipment you call DISH and tell them you wish to set up a Mobile RV account using the monthly Pay-As-You-Go billing option with whatever programming package you want. Make sure you have the receiver serial numbers they will ask for them.
3) With the Tailgater package from DISH you only get a VIP 211K receiver. You then go out and buy a self powered remote hard drive and call Dish to have them activate it on your receiver for a $40 charge.

4) When you DISCONNECT your service is cancelled. However if there is a balance in your account it remains there till you reconnect. If the account runs 30 days and no new funds are added the account self cancels. All you have to do is go online to MY DISH and register to reconnect online, just save your account number info to re-register.

Hope this helps.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #16

Yes, disconnect the service when you are not using pay-as-you go service from dish. When calling DISH we always tell them it's an RV account. we also call them when we travel out of our local viewing area and tell them we want to change our "SERVICE" address and then we get the local channels for the area we happen to be in, as example when we were in south FL last winter we recieved the Miami stations. When in north FL recieved the Jacksonville stations etc.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nope, no way to bank unused days. Plus it's like 50/month not the 20 they advertise. plus they will send you a very nasty E-mail if you don't renew.. (I sent one back too.. No repsonse to it yet)..

That said, if you only use it a few months out of the year, it's the best plan out there.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #18

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just a note...
We had trouble with the kingdome Sat. Turns out the mother board is burnt. Talk about a bummer. Since the unit is 18 months old, the warranty only covers parts. Not labor or shipping. Between the two it's about $1000.00. Simply not worth it. I will probably buy a new portable unit. Just not now. We will be leaving soon for a trip and there is no time to get this all hooked up correctly.

On the bright side...I bought a Blue Ray DVD player from Sears that is wifi capable. It's a great unit. It's a Samsung and it was only $100.00 It comes with Netflix, You Tube and Pandora radio . Netflix is FREE for the first month and $7.99 a month after that. You can cancel anytime, and Pandora is Free always.
All you need is wifi so you can download the entertainment.

Most parks now have wifi. So this is a great alternative. IMO

Hope this helps..Happy Travels
Rusty1233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #19

Most campgrounds wifi service will not support streaming videos.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtermini30 View Post
Most campgrounds wifi service will not support streaming videos.
This is correct, no campground I have ever stayed in had wifi with enough band width to allow the amount of usage needed to stream a movie especially HD. 1 HD movie will use approximately 1.2 GB of band width.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #21

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Did not know this about bandwidth..definately challenged. So maybe it will be RedBox entertainment for DW and for me I will be fishing the Southern Sierra's.
We'll live.
Rusty1233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Nope, no way to bank unused days. Plus it's like 50/month not the 20 they advertise. plus they will send you a very nasty E-mail if you don't renew.. (I sent one back too.. No repsonse to it yet)..

That said, if you only use it a few months out of the year, it's the best plan out there.
I have started and stopped my service several times. No complaints, no nasty emails.
jablair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:44 PM   #23

I bought my 211 and dish on amazon then called DISH. WRONG! Call dish if you have the service at home, they will supply all the hardware and install it in your RV for one time$50.00 + $7.00 a month. The tech even gave me a portable mast base. AND, you can turn it off and on month to month. The $50.00 is for the 211 which I paid 74.00 for, so we used mine. I have a spare dish now.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
LLLKROB, When you call to DISCONNECT, what number do you call???
rsw1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #25

I just take one of the dish recievers from the house when we go out and hook it up to the king dome. Been doing that for 6 years now and never had a problem.
Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:56 PM   #26

I just call the regular DISH number 800-333-3474. They used to have a RV department but as I understand that number no longer works. When you call if the C/S person does not know what you are requesting ask to speak to a supervisor.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #27

the best way is if you have dish at home, just buy a tailgater for about 350.00 and a 211k receiver for about 50.00, call dish while you are at home and add the 211k to your home acct for $7.00 a month, hook it to one of your tvs and activate it at home, then take the receiver and tailgater with you on your rv trips, the tailgater easily finds the satellites and you have service for 7.00 a month. best buy recently had a boxed pkg for 409.00. on line;
faye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish