Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Dish for my RV

I am contemplating buying the dish for rv pay as you go service. What I don't care for is that if you only use it for 2 or 3 days a month you pay for and lose the remainder of the days. Is this correct, or is there a way to bank the days leftover? Looking for a way around this, any ideas ???
Rusty1233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty1233 View Post
I am contemplating buying the dish for rv pay as you go service. What I don't care for is that if you only use it for 2 or 3 days a month you pay for and lose the remainder of the days. Is this correct, or is there a way to bank the days leftover? Looking for a way around this, any ideas ???
I have this service. It is billed by the month. You cannot turn it on and off for a few days a month. There is no way around it that I know of.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Did you buy your service straight from Dish or from a local Dish retailer? I was on a chat with them and they said I had to go to a local retailer.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:15 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
Did you buy your service straight from Dish or from a local Dish retailer? I was on a chat with them and they said I had to go to a local retailer.
I bought the Tailgater and VIP211K hardware on Amazon and then just called Dish's 800 number to sign up for their Pay as you Go service.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #6

Have DISH pay as you go and turn mine off/on when ever we want, the balance of unsed days are carried forward to the next time you turn it on. You are paying in advance when you pay your bill, example last time we turned it on, with our balance was. 69¢ to turn it on since we just had paid the bill before turning it off. The key is to call and have it turned off when your done with the trip.
We purchased ours from CW, but if you are going to have it as home service then local retailer.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by no3putt View Post
Have DISH pay as you go and turn mine off/on when ever we want, the balance of unsed days are carried forward to the next time you turn it on. You are paying in advance when you pay your bill, example last time we turned it on, with our balance was. 69¢ to turn it on since we just had paid the bill before turning it off. The key is to call and have it turned off when your done with the trip.
We purchased ours from CW, but if you are going to have it as home service then local retailer.

This is correct, you pay for a month in advance and then use it say for 10 days then call DISH and tell them you want to DISCONNECT your service. It is very important you use the term DISCONNECT, otherwise they will try and charge you a service fee.

When you disconnect the remaining unused portion remains in your account as a credit.

When you wish to restart your service you can call dish prepay for another 30 days receiving the credit in your account so you only have to pay the difference between your credit and the charge for 30 days service.

I have been using Pay As You Go for 4 years and it has always worked this way.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
This is correct, you pay for a month in advance and then use it say for 10 days then call DISH and tell them you want to DISCONNECT your service. It is very important you use the term DISCONNECT, otherwise they will try and charge you a service fee.

When you disconnect the remaining unused portion remains in your account as a credit.

When you wish to restart your service you can call dish prepay for another 30 days receiving the credit in your account so you only have to pay the difference between your credit and the charge for 30 days service.

Well, I learned something new. Thanks!
Old 06-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #9

Thank you no3putt... I thought I had read somewhere that you could do it like that. The correct term is Disconnect right? Not suspend, correct ? So what you are in a sense doing, if I get this right is : say you pay in advance for the $ 50.00 package and you use it for 15 days you have used $ 25.00 of your monthly package. Then you Disconnect, then when you want to restart you tell them to reconnect service and your acct. balance shows a $ 25.00 credit so for the $ 50.00 package you pay $ 25.00 and your off and running.....Correct ?? So you have banked the unused portion...YIPPEE
Old 06-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #10

Gotta Luv these forums...HUH ??
Old 06-24-2013, 09:50 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
If you have Dish at home receiver in RV $6 or $7 a month,I never turn off just hook up at home also and when get tired of nagging go watch out in RV
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:07 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post

Please explain this a little more. I just called Dish, and it was like pulling teeth just to get them to agree to send me a DVR and setup the service, so I didn't do it yet. They would only allow me to use it on a monthly basis. When you "Disconnect" are you cancelling the service or exactly what?
Old 06-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #13

From my understanding... you are on a month to month basis, so you have no service to cancel, no contract. If you only use part of what you pay for and Disconnect, they owe you a refund. But they do not send it. So when you reconnect that balance goes toward the purchase of a new month which you have to pay to resume service. Basically it is like a floating month service. I have not started my service yet but have ordered the top box.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you have Dish at home (S&B house), you can take a receiver like 722 or 211k and use them while away in your RV. I have an extra 722 I got free from a neighbor that I leave in the MH and I call Dish before I leave and have them add the device to my account. When I get back home, I call and have them remove that device and I pay only for the time it was "active" between my calls. I did not have to do the call when I took a DVR with me from the house. Just used it like when at home. Since I now leave the extra 722 in the MH, I call so I won't be paying for it when not using it.

If you leave your local viewing area (~50 miles or so), you will have to use your OTA antenna to scan for local channels which can be done if you connect the OTA cable to the DVR. If you have the 211k, then you can record from 2 tuners if you have the external USB option with a hard drive and Dish fee (just to have the capability).... If you have the 722, it has an internal hard drive and 3 tuners (2 satellite and one OTA).

John
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish