Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Thumbs up "Dish For My RV" Satellite Finder App

As relative newbies to satellite TV, we recently activated our dome and started the Dish pay-as-you-go service. So far, so good! Today I was putzing around on the internet when I happened to find an iPhone app called "Dish for My RV Satellite Finder". I downloaded the app, then took my phone outside to the end of our driveway, where we THOUGHT we would get ZERO satellites because of our neighbor's trees. Here's what I found...

All three Dish Network satellites!

This seems to be a cool app, but right away I'll say that this is NOT a tool to use for aiming your dish. It simply allows you to determine whether there is line-of-sight for your antenna.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2013, 01:16 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use an Android app called Dishfinder Pro. I do use it to aim the dish. I point my phone and find the sat. I then make a visual reference to where the sat is to something near by. I aim towards that reference and usually get a picture in a few minutes.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #3

My Dish Tailgater...

...just needs a clear view to the southern skies, then it does it's magic, all by its own little self!
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

X10 om tailgater
Old 09-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubwheat View Post
...just needs a clear view to the southern skies, then it does it's magic, all by its own little self!
Our KVH dome also automatically finds the satellites. I just like that I could carry my phone around a campground and find the "best" site for setup.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 View Post
I use an Android app called Dishfinder Pro. I do use it to aim the dish. I point my phone and find the sat. I then make a visual reference to where the sat is to something near by. I aim towards that reference and usually get a picture in a few minutes.
Good idea. I'm sure this could be used in a similar fashion. I'm thinking we will use this for scouting which campground site to choose.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Trees really aren't much of a problem in the southern part of the country since you're aiming pretty high. Up north the angle is a lot lower and trees are more likely to block the signal.

I also use Dishpointer Pro. I just used it to setup a tripod so the TVs work while the motorhome is parked in the garage. Normally, I use the Winegard Trav'ler on the roof, but I do keep a tripod for those times when trees are blocking the signal.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjburns View Post
Trees really aren't much of a problem in the southern part of the country since you're aiming pretty high. Up north the angle is a lot lower and trees are more likely to block the signal.
You know, I had wondered about that. I wasn't too sure exactly how high off the horizon those satellites are, since our antenna is automatic. Is it a problem to get a signal in the Rockies?
Old 09-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I have a Droid phone and use a free app, Satellite AR. It works similar to what yours does Sarah. Sometimes you can avoid frustration by moving the rig a couple feet in either direction before you get all set up.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Dishpointer app does much the same. A great tool. Does not matter if manual or automatic dish, one still sometimes does not have an obviously clear LOS to the southern sky. Using an app such as those discussed in this thread is a great aid to setup in less than optimal scenarios.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Is it a problem to get a signal in the Rockies?
It depends on where you are and what obstacles are around. The further north, the lower you have to aim. The satellites orbit around the equator.

In 2001, I moved from Tucson to Bellingham, WA, just south of the Canadian border. I thought setting up the satellite antenna would be easy, until I realized how low I had to aim. My house also had lots of huge trees. Finding a spot where I could get a signal wasn't easy. In Tucson, aiming over trees wasn't much of a problem. In Tucson, Dish satellite 119 is up at 51.5°. In Bellingham it's at 33.9°, almost 20° lower. Add tall trees to the mix and finding an opening in the trees is a lot tougher.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Our KVH dome also automatically finds the satellites. I just like that I could carry my phone around a campground and find the "best" site for setup.
Yes, it's a great little app. Our summer volunteer campsite in Oregon had very limited sky view due to trees around the site. The volunteer coordinator assured me that previous occupants of the site had good satellite reception. I was able to use the app to demonstrate to him that the "window" had become overgrown. He came along with a pole saw and fixed it so we could at least get two out of three satellites.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #13

I don't understand the statement about southern locations and the aim of the dish is high. Right now we are in northern Georgia and it 46 degrees. When we were is south texas it was 43. Any kind of bush or tree would block the signal. Must be Dish satellites that are high, 101 direct is pretty low to the horizon..

2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4,2008 Crossroads Cruiser M29CK, 2008 HD Ultra Classic Trike
pddgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
I have a Droid phone and use a free app, Satellite AR. It works similar to what yours does Sarah. Sometimes you can avoid frustration by moving the rig a couple feet in either direction before you get all set up.
Thanks, Jay. I have an Android tablet; I'll check for that app. (Free is good. )

Tags
dish, satellite