Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2017, 10:32 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
Dish For My RV (tm) does not know where we are!

Irony: "the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect" Oxford dictionaries.

I suppose "Dish For MY RV", a pay month to month plan is a form of irony. When we get set up at a campground and start up the dish and the receiver for Dish Network and we look for some local news, guess what? We get a listing of the stations local to our home base, NOT where we are actually located at the time. I didn't buy Dish For My Home - I have cable for that thank you very much, I bought it so the DW can watch her cooking shows and as a result I get to enjoy some really nice food. I'd also like to see some local news & weather programs.

So perhaps they should have advertised the service as "Dish For My Home Location that I can get anywhere I can access a satellite (except that the local home station won't come up because we are "out of the viewing area") - duh we are traveling in our RV!!!!

Ironic isn't it?

It turns out that the solution is to contact Dish Customer support and have them change your (home) location - every time you want to get local TV!

We will see how many address changes Dish can take!

I hope that their software is up to the task (warning presence of irony detcted).
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2017, 10:39 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
We do this every time we change locations. We use the web based "Chat" system, I copy /paste a short script into the Chat window that has our new "Service" location. By the time I get the antenna set up and pointed, I'm good to go.

This is the script I use:

Receiver # Rxx xxxx xxxx-xx
NEW SERVICE ADDRESS
Address Number and Street
City, State, Zip

Do NOT change my billing address, It remains the same at:
Address Number and Street
City, State, Zip
Thank you.

Local channels are transmitted from the satellite on very sharp and directional spot beams that can only be seen in a small geographical area. If you're outside the satellites footprint for that spot beam (local channel) you will not be able to receive it.

By notifying Dish of a new "Service Location" they then send a signal to your receiver to receive the correct spot beam for the area you indicate.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:49 AM   #3

I have changed service addresses just like Waiter21 does. In a couple of occasions I thought that they did not change them for me. In fact they did and the locals were on another bird. In my case I was tuned into 110, 119 and 129 sats and the local channels were on 72. I could manually make my Traveler dish go to 72, but only 72 and some of the channels that I normally watch were not on that bird. Only stayed there for a week and then back to locals on 119 or 110.
Bago40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:58 AM   #4

Interresting. When I first got dish, only got local tv when I was local to Phila. Now when I set up,the dish, I get Phila. local stations in different locations. Gettysburg, PA now and this past June when I was in Rhinebeck, N.Y.. If that's how its going to work now, great. Keep track of what's happening at home!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:25 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Dish will change it as many times as you need them to. Not a big deal. I go online and through the Chat option give them my new service address. Takes about 2-3 minutes.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:47 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
You will have no problems . well almost no problems ..if you use the online chat and the script as above that many of us use. Much frustration averted! In the past year and a half I have traveled the US Except the NE and changed "locals' as many as 5 times in a week.
When I've "called" we have gotten lost people in customer service but in chat its been great ... I do chat on my phone no real typing to do as I just cut and paste the script.
As noted if you are in a eastern city and some not so eastern ! it can cause some problems. when I first started I called and the nice gal wanted to send someone out to change my dish to the eastern sat one .. at no charge
We have a western automatic traveler. Hung up and called again no problem .. the area had changed to the EA bird but left the std definition on the western sat.
No company does your town locals nationwide Unless your hometown is LA or NY.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:54 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
I have the wally and it asks me to select the state i am in. Will I still need to do this when i travel across country? I am not sure if my setup with the wally will need this is it asks you to select the state.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:14 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I have the wally and it asks me to select the state i am in. Will I still need to do this when i travel across country? I am not sure if my setup with the wally will need this is it asks you to select the state.
I suspect its asking for state and/or zip for pointing purposes. You will need to change your "Service Location" in order to continue receiving local channels.

If you're not subscribed to "local channels" then you don't need to do anything.

The Satellites transmit beams used for normal programming are wide and cover most of north America.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish