Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2018, 04:50 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
DISH for RV, need the scoop

What is the real scoop on how DISH works with two receivers (one for each of two TV's) and one of the auto dome sat antennas? If you are watching different programs on the TV's, can the DISH antenna do that? If not, which TV gets priority?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2018, 05:19 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
There is one that’s the primary and it controls the satellite looked at. It’s the one connected to the number one or primary output .... If the Chanel the second receiver is in the same bird then it will tune it if not it will not. From my experience it’s less than ideal but a compromise , depending on which two channels your trying to get obviously . The one output “Any Dome” won’t work You need a specific dish that has two outputs.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:54 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bill, are you saying if you get a dome antenna with two outputs, it is not an issue?
Old 11-14-2018, 06:12 AM   #4

The Winegard Pathway X2 is a portable (not roof mount) but it has a compromise when using the 2 receiver mode.

If I understand it correctly, the dish only looks for satellite 72 in the east. It has the most channels, so both receivers get all channels the same, but only channels on that one satellite.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:16 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
let's see if i can help you out......we have an 07 monaco knight, two tv's, one in living area, one in bedroom.........we have an inmotion wingard satellite and two dish 211z receivers............the living room tv is the "main tv".........the bedroom is the "secondary tv"..............you are watching tv in the living room and the mrs. wants to watch something different in the bedroom..........she can, but she can only watch shows that are on the satellite that is being used on the living room tv.......so, if i am watching something that is coming thru via satellite 119, she can only watch shows that show up on satellite 119......it can be a different channel, but the satellite must be the same......if she is watching and i change the living room tv to a show that is on, say satellite 129, her screen will show "no signal", or "satellite lost"...........now, where this get challenging is when you go to bed and want to watch tv as you drift off..............the living room tv must be tuned to the channel you want to watch in the bedroom........so if i want to watch "everybody loves raymond", and it is on a channel that is being received on satellite 119, the living room tv must be turned to "everybody loves raymond", or another channel that is on satellite 119.............so to set this up, you turn on the living room tv, set to the "raymond" channel, turn off the tv, but leave the "satellite" on..........you go to bed, turn to "raymond" and watch.............you can turn the channel in the bedroom to another show, but it must be on satellite 119...........there is also the example of shows that are on satellite 129. which is a high def satellite...........if you are on 119, you can also watch shows that normally show up on 129, but also have a low def counterpart, which would be on satellite 119..............so if i am watching raymond on satellite 119, i can also view msnbc, which normally is broadcast on high def satellite 129, but it automatically shifts to the low def version on satellite 119.............this is a bit confusing, i know, and it took me a while to understand it, but it is a small price to pay to get tv..............the only real downside is, since the satellite is on all night, it will continue to make adjustments as needed to keep the signal........and if you are watching a show on 129, that is the only satellite you will get, it won't shift to low def channels/satellites.................you can determine which satellite shows are broadcast on, by viewing the show and hitting the "info" button twice.......it normally shows the satellite the show is broadcast on...........let me know if you need any further confusion...hahahah..........best of luck
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:56 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Bill, are you saying if you get a dome antenna with two outputs, it is not an issue?

No , I’m saying you can’t use two receivers period unless it’s a two output dome. The single output domes can’t be used.
Even with the two output domes you are limited as described to one satellite reception.
Clear as mud .. right?
I’ll complicate it more .. buy two portable / roof mountable single output domes and put both on the roof one to ea tv .. cheaper than a trav’ler and you can remove them to move out of a tree line [emoji6]. Ea tuner can get all Channels. If I had to replace my travler I’ve considered doing that
Old 11-14-2018, 07:29 AM   #7

I got tired of the game and use two portables. So much easier. Had the one and ran HDMI line to bedroom so both tv's had the same all the time. They had a sale, so did the up grade. Pain in the you know what. So just use the old and new together.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:41 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
With our Wineguard Traveler with three feed horns we can watch two different programs and they don't have to be on the same satellites.

I think there are some portables out there that do that as well.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:52 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
We have the Trav'ler, 1 Hopper and 2 Joeys. We are supposed to be able to watch 3 TV's at the same time and - with the Hopper - record up to 16 shows (15, if you're watching one while recording the others.
With the Traveler, we have some issues with locking onto satellite 129. 110 and 119 aren't an issue as long as there is clear "line of sight". Trees 'off in the distance' usually don't pose a problem.
What we have had issue with is the length of time that it takes to acquire the satellites! Seriously? I think it's taking about 20+ minutes from the time that I press the "on" button on the Winegard box until it finally finds itself and the three satellites. To the point of the post, during all of the "hunting", I can hear the dish turret whining and grinding as it tries to lock onto a satellite and am concerned that it is wearing out the dears / motor.
I think we have decided to change our setup process to turn on the Satellite box just after leveling up and before extending the slides, hooking up, etc, etc, etc.....
Anyone else have an issue with how long it takes for the Trav'ler to lock onto the satellites? Is there an alternate process that will reduce the length of time that it's taking? I had read that starting the Trav'ler BEFORE turning on the /hopper/Joeys allows it to find satellites quicker -- but I haven't found that to reduce the time that it has been taking.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:42 PM   #10

Dish Network

Dish Traveler has 3 different outputs for 3 different TV’s. Each TV needs it’s own receiver, unless using the newer Joey’s. Each TV can watch any channel it wants. Also any DVR receiver will tape any channel you want. All are HD compatible, based on the receiver. Setup should only take a couple minutes, which can be done while you are setting everything else up. Best setup you can get.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:56 PM   #11

Our Travel'r doesn't take very long unless there are trees in the way or we are at higher latitudes. In Nova Scotia it took several different passes at very low angles to get 110 and 119. 129 was so low in the sky, a blade of grass would block it.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:16 AM   #12

For some more accurate information and lucidity check out the blog by Techwriter. https://rvseniormoments.com/tech-docs/dish-tv-for-rvs/

The Small dome systems look at a single satellite. If you have a single cable attachment to the dome you can still use it with multiple receivers with the proper splitters. While each can watch a different 'channel' they all need to be on the same satellite.

Travel'r antennas have changed over the years. Techwriter discusses the changes in the LNB (the antenna unit that picks up the signal) and has wiring diagrams that can answer questions you might have.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeffrey View Post
Our Travel'r doesn't take very long unless there are trees in the way or we are at higher latitudes. In Nova Scotia it took several different passes at very low angles to get 110 and 119. 129 was so low in the sky, a blade of grass would block it.
Same here!
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:22 PM   #14

I have the Winegard X2 Pathway and I use a Wally receiver in my Living room. Also in the bedroom is a V211 receiver. I live on the VT,MA,NY, borders. I do not have any issues with watching two separate channels at all.
Grafton Guns is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish