Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2014, 03:29 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dish from home to RV for travel

We have a Dish Network account at our S/B house. We currently have two receivers on the same account in our RV parked in the driveway. As you all know, you can no longer pay for Distant Networks from All-American Direct. We currently can no longer get the traditional networks on satellite while traveling. I understand how to get "locals" at different locations if you have a pay as you go RV account by calling in to change your "service address" keeping your billing address the same. Question is: Can I simply do this with our regular Dish account? I don't want to get a separate pay as you go RV account since we use the RV at home as extra living space and want the TVs to work there all the time as well as in the house. Cost would be prohibitive. Can any of you tell me how you accomplish this?
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2014, 04:47 PM   #2

That's an interesting question, i.e. does Dish restrict the ability to change your local channels at will to an RV account or will they do it for any account? Your biggest problem may be trying to get a straight answer as the standard customer service personnel seem to know little or nothing about RV accounts and may be confused by the request. Maybe there is someone with a normal (non-RV) account that does this regularly and can provide instructions.

If not perhaps the best thing might be to simply give it a try, meaning while at home have your locals changed to a nearby city in a different but overlapping spot beam (you can use this link to find a good candidate.) I would be certain to ask for 'RV Support' and when connected simply ask to change your local channel service address to the new city, and give your account number. One of two things will happen, either they will do as you ask or tell you that you don't have an RV-specific account and that they can't change the locals. I'm guessing it will be the former and you'll be in luck but I'm not sure.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:48 PM   #3

I believe you simply have to call DISH and request a temporary change in your SERVICE address, if they ask tell them that your in your RV and not at home. If they give you some static just hang up and call back again till you get a rep who will make the change for you. DISH reps are poorly trained due to high turnover so it's not uncommon to find one that doesn't know their business. Be advised your home receivers would then lose their local programming till you change back to your home address..
Old 04-12-2014, 05:25 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We took our Dish receiver from the house to Myrtle Beach last winter and used the same program that we had in Ohio so that we could watch the Big 10 network. We used a different tv and the antenna for the local channels. Everything worked out fine.
We have purchased a new tv and now I am going to use the satellite as will as the antenna on the same tv.
This will be accomplished by using an HDMI cable from the Dish receiver and using the coaxial connection on the tv for the antenna. Then I can switch back and forth with the remotes.
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:04 AM   #5
Community Moderator

i bring my home receiver wherever i go with a satellite dish on a tripod although i have an r4sl in place. i also installed a jack antenna on roof for ota/local programs. it works great. the jack pulls a lot of programs from far away cities, amazing to have. it's easy to install and inexpensive for the parts. a permanent solution to your issue.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:44 PM   #6

Back to the OP question, like you we have a Dish service at the S&B house. When we go south for the winter I move the receivers to the MH and call Dish as necessary to update the service address. When we get back to S&B, same applies. Move the receivers and call Dish to Update to that address. No problem in two years and many, many address changes.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:48 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been calling Dish with a change of service address and it usually takes about 20 minutes and then a reprogram to get the new channels. Ours is not a pay as you go, but a regular account.

Sometimes it takes two phone calls to get the programs straightened out.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish, travel