RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2017, 10:43 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dish hopper 3 in RV?

I want to upgrade our home hopper 2 to a hopper 3. We have the Winegard traveler SK1000 automatic dish. I am getting mixed info. Winegard says no way. I mentioned the DPH42 switch and they said it has never been tested in that application. I mentioned changing the LNB and was told the unit will not communicate correctly with the hopper 3.

I have spoken with two dish installers, one said it worked but seemed a bit vague about it and said it took some fiddling with it and required some different steps when activating the system. The other tech it can be done.

We have a tech scheduled to come to our home this week to upgrade our hopper to a hopper 3. I sure do not want to cause a problem where none exists now.

Anyone done this upgrade with the same equipment and know anyone that actually does it successfully or is Winegard correct and it cannot be done?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2017, 11:30 AM   #2
In the ether...

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
I want to upgrade our home hopper 2 to a hopper 3. We have the Winegard traveler SK1000 automatic dish. I am getting mixed info. Winegard says no way. I mentioned the DPH42 switch and they said it has never been tested in that application. I mentioned changing the LNB and was told the unit will not communicate correctly with the hopper 3.

I have spoken with two dish installers, one said it worked but seemed a bit vague about it and said it took some fiddling with it and required some different steps when activating the system. The other tech it can be done.

We have a tech scheduled to come to our home this week to upgrade our hopper to a hopper 3. I sure do not want to cause a problem where none exists now.

Anyone done this upgrade with the same equipment and know anyone that actually does it successfully or is Winegard correct and it cannot be done?
Read this: DISH TV RV Network Diagrams

TechWriter shows you how to do it. It's on the last page of the thread.

Scott

Old 12-06-2017, 09:33 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
A little late but for the Hopper you can go with the Western Arc Hybred LNB and then you'll only need 1 cable from the antenna for the system to function normally.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:53 AM   #4

Quote:

Calling DISH and Winegard directly usually results in getting bad info. However, contacting local sat installers usually works.

Here's the poop: with an SK1000 you want to use a DPH42 switch. You DO NOT want an installer to swap out the existing SK1000 DPP (DISH Pro Plus) LNBF with the new DPH (DISH Pro Hybrid) LNBF.

If the installer insists on swapping out the SK1000 LNBF, then send him packing because you'll probably end up having problems (like the Crazy Ivan).

If the installer isn't sure what to do, show him this drawing:

I use this exact setup and it works like a charm . . . and other RVers are using Hopper 3s in their RVs. The H3 is a superb whole house DVR.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
A little late but for the Hopper you can go with the Western Arc Hybred LNB and then you'll only need 1 cable from the antenna for the system to function normally.
This is a good setup for connecting a portable dish (ie, a 1000.2), but not a Travler SK1000. For an SK1000 you want to use a DPH42 switch.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:59 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
This is a good setup for connecting a portable dish (ie, a 1000.2), but not a Travler SK1000. For an SK1000 you want to use a DPH42 switch.
Yes my installer (now good camping friend) tried the hybrid lnb just to satisfy himself. When we got the crazy Ivan reaction, we shut things down and did the exact wiring with the original lnb reinstalled just as Tech Writer posted. Works perfectly. Just do not plug the hopper or DPH42 switch in until the traveler is finished finding and locking all three sats. Power up any joeys you have after the hopper is booted up and running and you will be fine.

Within a few minutes you will be watching tv. You may also turn the satelitte info box off by pushing the power and select buttons simultaneously if you wish and then just push the power button again when it is time to stow the sat.

BTW, the ota adaptor works on the hopper 3 as well. Just plug it in to ota antenna output, turn the ota antenna amp on, plug the other end into the USB port on the hopper, go to home page and run the ota scan and eventually the new ota channels will show up in your guide listing and may be watched and recorded just like any other. You will just have to use “my channels or all channels” instead of any favorites lists you have at home to see them.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:54 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Teck Writer; This is what I just did, use the western arc hybrid 3LNB and 1 wire down to a 203952 Hybrid Solo Hub. It feed our Hopper 2 and 1 wireless Joey. I had no option but to run this because somewhere my #2 antenna coax has an open in it. My system as set up is fully functional with no issues at all.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:19 PM   #8

Tom, how do you know which LNB is on the Travel'r? I'm assuming that my June delivered coach has the Dish Pro Plus LNB....
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Teck Writer; This is what I just did, use the western arc hybrid 3LNB and 1 wire down to a 203952 Hybrid Solo Hub. It feed our Hopper 2 and 1 wireless Joey. I had no option but to run this because somewhere my #2 antenna coax has an open in it. My system as set up is fully functional with no issues at all.
Excellent catch! See my new DPP vs DPH Blog Post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes754 View Post
Tom, how do you know which LNB is on the Travel'r? I'm assuming that my June delivered coach has the Dish Pro Plus LNB....
Traveler's come with DPP (DISH Pro Plus) LNBFs, not DPH (DISH Pro Hybrid) LNBFs.

DPP and DPH LNBs have different logos on them -- see my DPP vs DPH Blog Post.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:12 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Tech Writer; While I don't know how to do it, I understand you can manually tune the Traveler dish to the Eastern Arc. Have you experimented doing this with a Hybrid Eastern LNB installed? Just looking at possibilities in case western sats are obstructed but eastern's have a clear view.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Tech Writer; While I don't know how to do it, I understand you can manually tune the Traveler dish to the Eastern Arc. Have you experimented doing this with a Hybrid Eastern LNB installed? Just looking at possibilities in case western sats are obstructed but eastern's have a clear view.
You can get a standard Winegard Travler SK1000 to acquire Eastern Arc sat 61.5. Some people report that they have also been able to pick up 72.7 -- those would be the only two EA sats you would really need.

I think I tried an Eastern Arc DPP LNBF on my Travler, and it didn't work. You should give it a try.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:59 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Eastern ARC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
You can get a standard Winegard Travler SK1000 to acquire Eastern Arc sat 61.5. Some people report that they have also been able to pick up 72.7 -- those would be the only two EA sats you would really need.

I think I tried an Eastern Arc DPP LNBF on my Travler, and it didn't work. You should give it a try.
First I've got to figure out how to get the Traveler to acquire one of the eastern arc sats.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:13 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
The interface module manual for the 1000 shows how to start up and set manual selection not auto. You would then set the Sat you are looking for 61.5 It then looks for that specific Satellite I found the link via google but lost it in transfer . its a easy search.
The Eastern LBNF does not work on the traveler I was told this 2 years ago when I asked on a Howard Forums I believe. Best case is a Manual setting on One satellite .. Not all programming will be avail.
I was told at the time a spare ground EA antenna manual aim was the best solution and set up to patch in. Never did it
BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Just do not plug the hopper or DPH42 switch in until the traveler is finished finding and locking all three sats.
I never unplug the DPH-42 switch. I just power up the Trav'ler and go.

Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish