Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2014, 11:23 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dish Network A/B Switch Needed

I’m looking for a good A/B switch that will work with Dish Network, to make it easy to switch between signals from my rooftop antenna and my portable. I bought one on ebay but it didn’t work. Can anyone recommend one?

Thanks!

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2014, 11:52 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use this one to switch the OTA between my Dish 211k receiver and the A/V distribution box. It works really well.

Winegard TV-0151 Video A / B Switch (TV-0151) from Solid Signal
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:12 PM   #3

You cannot use an A-B switch for satellite input signals(switch between dishes) they do not carry the required MHz(signal). Your best method to do what you want would be to physically switch cable from one to the other at the receiver. not to mention the sat input needs to have a good "clean connection) to the receiver.

If you do find a switch that works, do yourself a favor and unplug the receiver when changing the switch, or for that fact when changing any connection on the dish side of the system. voltage spikes can damage the receiver and dishes.
Spencer & Tracie RVM#62
2013 RAM 3500DRW 4x4 Laramie, Cummins, 385HP,850FTLBS Aisin Trans
2014 DRV Elite Suite 41RESB4
Spare puller:2004 RAM3500DRW Cummins (DW's truck)
Roosters 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:01 PM   #4

I have used A/B switches for at least 8 years to switch between my rooftop satellite dish and my portable dish without any problems at all.
I used 2 switches to switch both dish outputs. Used RCA model VH-74 A/B switches.
As mentioned you do need to pass DC voltage to the LNB but most mechanical switches take care of this issue. I am using this with a Dish Network VIP 722 receiver.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:27 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think I paid about 10 bucks at K-Mart for my A/b switches, Frankly got ripped off, GOOGLE had them for 2 bucks a pop. Same switch.

Seriously any decent coaxial A/B switch should work.. You do not need a lot of isolation since at DC the isolation is 100% and only one antenna will be active (The selected one) with DC power.

OH. two other suggestions.

1: A-bove B-elow

2: Always be in A when you hook up or unhook the antenna B-elow (That way if it shorts, no damage to receiver) Switch to B after you connect and back to A before you disconnect
Old 07-16-2014, 05:15 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs up Thanks!

The guy that did the Dish install at my home told me that only high quality A/B switches will work with satellite feed. This is why I came here and asked for a specific model. I have been manually unscrewing the coax from the receiver as suggested, but my receiver is mounted high along the top of the windshield, so the older I get, the harder it is to connect/disconnect the coax while standing on the driver’s seat.

Good advice re: unplugging the receiver before swapping out the coax cable. I must admit, I’ve never practiced this but will do so from now on.

I found the RCA VH-74 switch recommended by Harry on Amazon. I ordered it from them since I am a Amazon Prime member.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Craig

Old 07-16-2014, 06:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig P. View Post
The guy that did the Dish install at my home told me that only high quality A/B switches will work with satellite feed.
I have a feeling most any RF AB switch will work.

I used to use these 900 MHz rated AB switches in my first RV Hopper setup.

However, they should NOT have worked since these 900 MHz ABs were switching between two dishes (Travler & a portable) with rated frequency ranges of 2 GHz -- over twice the frequency of my AB switches.

Go figure.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:17 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
I have a feeling most any RF AB switch will work.

The one I bought off of eBay didn't, hence the reason for my post. Thanks for the info.

Craig

Old 07-20-2014, 10:56 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well I have now tried three different A/B switches, including the RCA VH-74, and none of them will work with my Dish 211k receiver. For some reason they stop all communication between my receiver and antenna. I gave up and bought a sat signal splitter. I affixed it to the inside wall of my electronics cabinet and I will physically switch the coax feeds when I need to run my portable antenna. This will be easier than sliding the receiver around to gain access to the coax input, but far less easier than merely hitting a switch.

Craig

Old 07-20-2014, 11:34 AM   #10

Here is the switch that I am using to switch between my rooftop dome and portable satellite antenna. I have DISH Network so I know it works :Amazon.com: C2G / Cables to Go 41015 High Isolation AB Switch: Electronics
Old 07-20-2014, 07:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Well I have now tried three different A/B switches, including the RCA VH-74, and none of them will work with my Dish 211k receiver. For some reason they stop all communication between my receiver and antenna.
It sounds like the AB switch isn't the problem.

In your first post you said you wanted to "switch between signals from my rooftop antenna and my portable". A couple questions:

- What portable are you using?

- Is that rooftop antenna an OTA batwing?
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:15 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Here is the switch that I am using to switch between my rooftop dome and portable satellite antenna. I have DISH Network so I know it works :Amazon.com: C2G / Cables to Go 41015 High Isolation AB Switch: Electronics
I use the same AB switch to connect my Trav'ler and portable to my Hopper. Works great.
David49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
It sounds like the AB switch isn't the problem.

In your first post you said you wanted to "switch between signals from my rooftop antenna and my portable". A couple questions:

- What portable are you using?

- Is that rooftop antenna an OTA batwing?

My portable is a Winegard Carry-Out. The rooftop I was referring to is my KVH TracVision sat antenna. As soon as I connect an A/B switch, my KVH loses the sat signal.

Craig

Old 07-21-2014, 11:43 AM   #14

Quote:
My portable is a Winegard Carry-Out. The rooftop I was referring to is my KVH TracVision sat antenna. As soon as I connect an A/B switch, my KVH loses the sat signal.

Craig
Check the voltage at the back of the off/on switch. KVH units require at least 13.5-14 volts ( I believe ) from the power supply to work correctly. If this operating voltage is weak then the input signal through the A/B switch could also be weak.

Tags
dish