Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2011, 06:58 AM   #29
Commercial Member

Quote:
I just wish they would offer "a la carte" programming
Unfortunately most of this is dictated by the networks and is not an option for the provider to make. In order to purchase and sell you ESPN they will force the provider to offer all ESPN channels. Most channels are owned by a small handful of companies and are only sold in those bundles.
winegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #30

I know all about it. We resisted going to a DISH setup because we could get a la carte programming for C-band thru Skyvision. Kinda hard to carry a 10 ft C Band dish on top of the RV. If we could have, we would have and I did try to figure out a way to do it (KU) but at the time, it wasn't doable. I have no interest in many of the channels (sports & shopping) on the air but end up paying extra simply because I want to watch things like BBC America.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:51 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by winegard View Post
Unfortunately most of this is dictated by the networks and is not an option for the provider to make. In order to purchase and sell you ESPN they will force the provider to offer all ESPN channels. Most channels are owned by a small handful of companies and are only sold in those bundles.
Andy, when will DirecTV offer a monthly pay-as-you-go program similar to Dish's? I know many RV owners who use DirecTV and would love this plan.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:15 AM   #32
Commercial Member

With DIRECTV you do have a few options right now. Currently you can suspend your account for up to 6 months per year in up to 2 seperate intervals. This will extend your contract by the time you are suspended.

As an example, brand new 2 year contract. You suspend for say March & April, and again for October. You have just added 3 months onto your 2 year agreement and you cannot suspend again until the next year.

There is also a number we transfer customers to that are dead set on DIRECTV with no contracts. In my opinion financially it makes more sense to do the 2 year contract and suspend, but if that is the only way a person will do it we direct phone calls to 800-769-4635 which is a DIRECTV "owned receiver" line.

Again, I will state financially if you really sit down and look at the numbers I believe you come out ahead in most cases by going with the contract. Your programming is WAY cheaper for the first year and you get free equipment. Not to mention any other deals they are offering like free movie channels, etc.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthewall View Post
We just signed up for this last month. I paid the one month with the intention of not paying again until the spring when we actually start using the RV. DISH Network calls me at least twice A DAY with an automated recording stating that if I don't pay the bill my service will be canceled and I will have to pay a re-connect fee to turn it back on.

I've called DISH several times and explained the pay as you go program that I'm on and they claim to know nothing about it.

The calls will not stop.

We'll see what the deal is in the spring when we want to turn it back on.

So far, it's not working at all like they claim. A HUGE headache.

I'm going to call Winegard tomorrow, since that's who I bought the pay as you go service from and see what they have to say.
Update. After a phone call from Winegard, I thought the calls had stopped for two days, until today when DISH called again.

I spoke with the DISH representative and she stated in no uncertain terms that there is NO such thing as an RV Pay as you go program. My account is delinquent and will be considered that way until I pay or cancel the service and I will continue to get the calls until I pay.

I would HIGHLY suggest that anyone avoid this program until DISH is actually aware that they are selling such a program.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:05 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Ouch!.. After reading Winegards ad I was ready to sign up..
glad I waited
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #35
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthewall View Post
Update. After a phone call from Winegard, I thought the calls had stopped for two days, until today when DISH called again.

I spoke with the DISH representative and she stated in no uncertain terms that there is NO such thing as an RV Pay as you go program. My account is delinquent and will be considered that way until I pay or cancel the service and I will continue to get the calls until I pay.

I would HIGHLY suggest that anyone avoid this program until DISH is actually aware that they are selling such a program.
Let me assure you that should not be happening and we will get it taken care of. We are at a show today with DISH and will bring it up.

Thank you again for bringing this to our attention.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:40 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by winegard View Post
Let me assure you that should not be happening and we will get it taken care of. We are at a show today with DISH and will bring it up.

Thank you again for bringing this to our attention.

Thank you, I'm confident Winegard will get this straightened out eventually. I was just so frustrated today while speaking to the DISH representative. She simply would not acknowledge that the RV Pay as you Go program even existed. This is not an isolated incident, I have had several conversations with DISH when they repeatedly call but this one was the worst.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:11 PM   #37

Any update yet??
Don/Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:59 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don/Lou View Post
Any update yet??
I almost hate to say anything but I didn't get a DISH phone call yet today.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:38 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Hey keep us informed.. like I said I was ready to sign up untill I read what happened to you.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:46 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Long View Post
Hey keep us informed.. like I said I was ready to sign up untill I read what happened to you.
Second day without a DISH call (this ties the recent record).
Old 02-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #41

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Question for Andy

I presently have a Winegard manual, single on the roof of the motor home. I had Direct and took a unit from the house with us on trips. I dropped Direct for various issues mostly technical.
I would like to sign up for the Pay As You Go plan on Dish, but can my existing sat dish work with their equipment.

Thanks
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthewall

Second day without a DISH call (this ties the recent record).
Five days. No calls. I think we may solved the problem.