RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2011, 09:26 PM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don/Lou
Please update us on Monday re the outcome!!
You sure have had your problems- but it may help others?
Don
Update 2:
Well after three hours on the phone with various Dish and Winegard reps, we are online again.

I finally got a Dish rep to understand my issue and she connected me to the two month old Dish RV Support group based in the US. They knew exactly what to do and got my 211k receiver back online in a matter of minutes. The rep suggested that I ask for the RV support group in the future and perform all disconnects and reconnects through them. He also confirmed what another poster mentioned that you can turn the service on and off in increments as short as one day.

On Tuesday on our return, I will call the rv support group and turn the service off. We will then still have 25 days left on the 30 day pre pay we made today. I'll let you all know how that works.

All and all a very unpleasant experience with Dish today.

offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2011, 11:20 AM   #58

Fleetwood Owners Club
You are correct. I was misinformed again by DISH. It is for a 30 day period. I started mine on 8 April and wanted to pause it on 20 April. I was totally disconnected and the guy I spoke to was very rude in handling my questions.

CSI Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #59

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthewall View Post
Update 2:
Well after three hours on the phone with various Dish and Winegard reps, we are online again.

I finally got a Dish rep to understand my issue and she connected me to the two month old Dish RV Support group based in the US. They knew exactly what to do and got my 211k receiver back online in a matter of minutes. The rep suggested that I ask for the RV support group in the future and perform all disconnects and reconnects through them. He also confirmed what another poster mentioned that you can turn the service on and off in increments as short as one day.

On Tuesday on our return, I will call the rv support group and turn the service off. We will then still have 25 days left on the 30 day pre pay we made today. I'll let you all know how that works.

All and all a very unpleasant experience with Dish today.
It only works prepaid for a month at a time, if you only use it one week out of the month, you still have to pay for the whole month. Dishnetwork PrePaid RV FAQ
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley

It only works prepaid for a month at a time, if you only use it one week out of the month, you still have to pay for the whole month. Dishnetwork PrePaid RV FAQ
Yes and no. You always have to buy one month but when you stop service short of that full month, you have a credit on your account for the remainder of that month. I just re-started my service last Friday and stopped it again on Tuesday, using only 5 days. Right now I will have to pay $6.00 in order to restart my service the next time, the difference of my credit and a full months service. I then will have 30 days prepaid and the cycle starts over again.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:39 PM   #61

Dish Network's pay as you go plan

Two weeks ago during a satellite TV seminar at the Camping World store in Seffner, FL I purchased a DishNetwork model ViP21K receiver. Last Saturday I tried to activate that receiver and establish a Pay-as-you-go account with Dish Network. Five phone calls and one day later I was finally able to activate and establish an account.

I then found the account was NOT set up as a Pay-as-you-go account even though I was very specific in requesting it when I opened the account. I asked for it to be changed to a Pay-as-you-go account and was told they could not do that because the account was established. I requested the account closed and my money refunded and called Camping World in Seffner. I was told to call back Monday morning when someone would be available to look into the problem. Today (Monday) I’ve called Camping World four times before finally getting a call back from the Store Manager. While waiting on a call back from Camping World I called Dish Network again, this time the person knew of the program I wanted but said my account was now locked for some period of time (months). He transferred me to another representative who knew nothing about the Pay-as-you-go program. I called Winegard who is listed in the promotion, but they were no help and told me to deal with Dish. I will certainly remember that the next time I need to purchase any satellite or over the air products in the future. The Camping World store manager finally called back and said someone from Dish would be contacting me. That is were the whole mess stands at this time, waiting again on Dish Network.

I’m being told I can not return the receiver to Camping World because it has been “activated”. The level of poor customer support and incompetence has spread across three different companies with this issue.

I’m most disappointed in Camping World and would not recommend this product to anyone. It is not like this is a new product that has just been rolled out this month. It has been around for many months.

Another problem I had with the installation was after being told by both Camping World and Dish before I purchased the receiver that the dish installed on my Motor Home by Fleetwood would be compatible I found it was not. Well it was, but the cabling was not and had to be replaced. I would have sure liked to have known that little piece of information upfront.
g111857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:15 PM   #62

An update, received a call back from the Camping World store manager. She contacted Dish Network Corporate and I received a call from them this afternoon They had an agent from their RV support group call me and he was able to get the Pay in advance plan set up for me. I would advice not trying to activate a new receiver on the weekend. If someone in the RV support group is not setting this up you are going to have issues and getting to that group on the weekend appears to be a problem. It has been mentioned before here in various posts that contacting this group within Dish is critical and my experience further drove that point home.
g111857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:37 AM   #63

This has been so funny (SAD really) to read about the POOR POOR service from DISH NETWORK and now to hear about the same POOR SERVICE from Camping World too, another SAD situation indeed.

I was a DISH customer for almost 10 years and dropped them for DirecTV (tried anyway) last year. Apparently not only is DISH not aware of their own RV program, they don't have the word CANCEL in their vocabulary either. It took MONTHS before they quit calling me wanting MONEY!

I don't know that DirecTV is any better, seems they have their short comings also. I have a two year commitment and I'll go back to DISH when that's completed... then back to DirecTV when the DISH commitment is done...

It's just ridiculous the 'special offers' that both companies give 'new' customers and ignore existing customers.

Seems the new way to do business is to "promise them ANYTHING... they won't read the fine print anyway".

michigancamper
MICHIGAN CAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:59 AM   #64
Commercial Member

The typical issue that new Pay-As-You-Go customers run into is that they call DISH Network to sign-up for service or to activate their receivers. This program has a specific call center dedicated to the RV customer and can be reached at 877-435-0181.

It is important that all account setup be handled through this phone center. If you sign-up with DISH Network directly they will be unable to help you. Otherwise if you call that number first things typically run very smooth.
winegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:33 PM   #65

Glad I found this site. After talking with the reps at www.dishformyrv.com (1-800-472-1039) twice, I purchased a VIP211K receiver and a Winegard Traveler for my RV on 26 April 2011. I specifically asked the sales reps if I would be able to get the network stations when we travel and was told that all I had to do was call customer service to make the change. Well, the first time I called to change my location the customer service rep had no idea what I was trying to do and basically told me that the only way to change service location was to change my account address. No one at customer service (1-800-472-1039) seems to know anything about the RV program. Am I mistaken about getting local network stations on the RV pay-as-you-go program? I activated thru dishformyrv.com at 1-800-472-1039 but talking to them is like talking to a brick wall. Will I have better luck with the 877-435-0181 number? This whole experience has been very frustrating so far. What is the number for the Dish RV Support group based in the US? Help!!!
scottv5870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:22 PM   #66

Ford Super Duty Owner
You can connect the Winegard bat wing antenna to the receiver, I believe that is what the mean about receiving local stations.

"
  • The Dish Network mobile HD receiver is compatible with subscribers’ off-air antennas.
Pay-as-you-go is a user friendly service and is highly useful for RV owners. With such mobile TV entertainment service designed for RVs, passengers of RVs can have great fun while traveling. Also they can catch a number of their favorite programs without miss. Subscribers can subscribe and discontinue the service as per their wish. Pay-as-you-go is an amazing TV entertainment service for RVs."
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:06 AM   #67
Commercial Member

[QUOTE=scottv5870;852636]Am I mistaken about getting local network stations on the RV pay-as-you-go program? QUOTE]

DISH Network currently does not offer "distant locals". This means when you are out of your install zip code you will most likely not receive channels such as NBC, ABC, FOX, PBS, CBS, etc. DIRECTV currently offers these channels out of NY or LA at $15 per month. DISH Network should be coming online with something similar to this soon.

Your other option if you are using the Pay-As-You-Go program is to change your physical address with DISH Network. Unfortunately this can be hit or miss and some customer service reps will help you while others will say you cannot do that.
winegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:29 AM   #68
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
You can connect the Winegard bat wing antenna to the receiver, I believe that is what the mean about receiving local stations.

"
  • The Dish Network mobile HD receiver is compatible with subscribers’ off-air antennas.
..............(snipped/wm)"
John is correct. If you have an antenna rf input on the back of the satellite receiver you can connect your batwing antenna to it. Then, you need to use the satellite receiver menu to scan for local channels. Once completed you can use the satellite "Guide" menu to see what is playing on the local channels, with info for the digital stations, and choose what to watch directly from the satellite guide. I believe you can even record the local channel. They will appear in the menu guide as a different color than the satellite channels. It is quite a nice feature. Just remember that every time you change geographical locations you will have to re-scan for local channels, just like you have to do on the television.

The HD off of the batwing is much better than the HD from the satellite.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:02 PM   #69

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Once completed you can use the satellite "Guide" menu to see what is playing on the local channels, with info for the digital stations, and choose what to watch directly from the satellite guide. I believe you can even record the local channel. They will appear in the menu guide as a different color than the satellite channels.
That will only work if you are in your local area or you have called to switch your service address when on the road.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:58 PM   #70

Tiffin Owners Club
It will work exactly as WayneM describes.
He's talking about incorporating the OTA channels into the program guide. The OTA channels have nothing to do with your "service area" local channels. OTA channels are truly local channels picked up by your OTA antenna. I believe they are yellow in color in the guide.
Just used this feature this past weekend and it works very well.

sfischer is offline   Reply With Quote