Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2011, 04:37 PM   #71

Solo Rvers Club
But you will not get the channel guide info for those local channels unless you are subscribed to those local channels. I know as it happened to me. When I went from MI to AZ I was able to get the local OTA channels but there was no local channel guide info until I caled Dish and switched my service address to my AZ location. All the guide showed was yellow and was listed as digital service.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2011, 09:50 PM   #72

Tiffin Owners Club
"All the guide showed was yellow and was listed as digital service"

The exact same thing happened to me. I turned off the receiver for a few seconds, then let it reload the program guide again. After that, the local OTA channels showed up in yellow and the program guide listed all of their programming information.
sfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:08 AM   #73

Solo Rvers Club
Maybe the receiver needed a reboot. I'll have to give that a try the next time I am out of the area. Thanks for the tip.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:08 PM   #74

Tiffin Owners Club
I think you are exactly correct. I also called the RV section of the Dish Network for assistance when I first raised the dish and turned on the receiver. The previous use was in Wytheville, VA around the end of February. When I got ready to watch my programming, the channels in my package weren't displaying. The dish repr. had me do the above re-boot and everything then worked fine.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:09 AM   #75

Monaco Owners Club
I have tried using the ota batwing connected to a older 508 reciever and tried scanning with the TV and nothing. How do I use the dish 508 to scan for locals. On my house unit a 723 has a menu for scanning ota channels but not the 508
One thing about dishnetwork is when I have not used the unit in a while I call dish they resend the signal and then I get all channels and locals. I did send a copy of RV reg to them everything is good...steve
srzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:26 AM   #76

Tiffin Owners Club
Steve,
I really can't help you with the 508 and OTA channels. On my recevier (211k) the OTA channels have to be scanned for thru the Dish receiver. Perhaps that capability is just not there with the 508.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #77

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
If you are in an RV, you can change your 'location'. Tell them you are in an RV and you need the local stations. All they need is a zip code. If you get a rep and (s)he doesn't know how to fix it, hang up and call again. Dish's reps aren't always the best trained.

I know it works. I have done it.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:02 PM   #78

Why not just take your home reciever in the motorhome and use it while on the road and put it back in the house when done with the rv?
jimbo16720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo16720 View Post
Why not just take your home reciever in the motorhome and use it while on the road and put it back in the house when done with the rv?
That works just fine! Only issue may be if you travel outside your 'spot beam' for local channels.

Neither Dish nor DirecTV cares if you take your home receiver on the road.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:30 PM   #80

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo16720
That would require having crummy satellite service at home We have FIOS. WAY better than the DISH service we use in the RV. It's tough to drag that fiber optic cable down the road though!
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:35 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthewall View Post
That would require having crummy satellite service at home We have FIOS. WAY better than the DISH service we use in the RV. It's tough to drag that fiber optic cable down the road though!

Why would it? I've had dish before and all you do is unplug the power, sat in, and sat out cables and hook them back up in the house when you get home. The picture quality wouldn't be any different. You can't watch tv at home when you're camping in the rv anyway. This way you pay for you're regular home account and use it while traveling instead of going through the bull of starting another account. It doesn't matter if your tv is in your house or in the next town it still works! You do need a separate dish for both locations.
jimbo16720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:59 PM   #82

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo16720

Why would it? I've had dish before and all you do is unplug the power, sat in, and sat out cables and hook them back up in the house when you get home. The picture quality wouldn't be any different. You can't watch tv at home when you're camping in the rv anyway. This way you pay for you're regular home account and use it while traveling instead of going through the bull of starting another account. It doesn't matter if your tv is in your house or in the next town it still works! You do need a separate dish for both locations.
You missed my point. I was saying that I don't want satellite TV service at home. I have Verizon FIOS TV and Internet at home. Lighting fast Internet and uncompressed HD video over fiber optic. Beats the pants off of the quality of satellite TV.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:17 AM   #83

KZ RV Club
We spent 55 minutes on the phone with DISH network last week, and the final solution was that we are switching our home from Comcast to DISH, we installed a Winegard Satellite in our coach and purchased 2 DISH boxes as part of a package deal through Camping World. We are keeping our internet and phone through Comcast, and our DISH monthly charges are less than $100 for 3 receivers in the house, and then we pay $7 a month for the two that we purchased for the coach. Good info that if you don't use the receivers for 30 days you need to reactivate it. Incidentally, while DISH offers these pay-as-you-go deals, we had a terrible time finding a rep who was aware of this, and they were not exactly polite with their customer service. The pay-as-you-go didn't work for us as we still have a high school student at home, and are not gone for a month at a time.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:42 AM   #84

$100 a month JUST for CATV service? I cut the cord when it got to $65 a few years ago.

Still would not mind a true pay as you go sat service in the motorhome but will not keep one active full time to use a few weekends and trips a year.