Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2011, 07:06 AM   #1

Dish Network for RV

Hi All I'm a newbie.
Getting ready to live in our 32' wildcat for a couple of years at Soloman Island Maryland and need satelite TV. I was looking at the rv package from Dish Network and it look expensive. Amazon has a Dish Network 500 system for $95 but what pachage would I need. Can I use any package and hook it up myself? I was also thinking of putting it into our house in Virginia too maybe using the same account. Apprciate some help.

Tim
mgb922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2011, 07:31 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgb922 View Post
Hi All I'm a newbie.
Getting ready to live in our 32' wildcat for a couple of years at Soloman Island Maryland and need satelite TV. I was looking at the rv package from Dish Network and it look expensive. Amazon has a Dish Network 500 system for $95 but what pachage would I need. Can I use any package and hook it up myself? I was also thinking of putting it into our house in Virginia too maybe using the same account. Apprciate some help.

Tim
I have Dish in my home and in my RV. When I had it installed in my home I got an extra reciever for my RV and it works just fine. The extra reciever cost $5 per month. It will time out in 30 days if it is not used and you have to call them to get it going again which can be a bit of a hassel. I always ask to speak to someone in the USA for starters. I never tell them that it's in a RV, that seems to get their drawers in a twist. Also if you are far away from home base, you might not get local programs that you have at home.
Good luck !!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:06 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
I have Dish in my home and in my RV. When I had it installed in my home I got an extra reciever for my RV and it works just fine. The extra reciever cost $5 per month. It will time out in 30 days if it is not used and you have to call them to get it going again which can be a bit of a hassel. I always ask to speak to someone in the USA for starters. I never tell them that it's in a RV, that seems to get their drawers in a twist. Also if you are far away from home base, you might not get local programs that you have at home.
Good luck !!
I went with Direct TV while on an extended trip to east Texas in '09. Started out with one receiver in the RV while we were between stick houses, the added two HD receivers to the stick house once we decided where we wanted to settle down. The one in the RV will time out due to lack of use, but I just call customer service for a re-boot. Other than I got a yo-yo for a technitian when I had the RV done who did not not the difference between a router and a splitter and had to correct his installation mistakes, I've had great service.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:31 AM   #4

So it sounds like I get Dish for my house and a extra receiver and not tell them about an RV. If I do that I'll need an antenna. Is the Dish Network 500 a good one or would I be throughing good money after bad?
Old 09-27-2011, 10:27 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
So it sounds like I get Dish for my house and a extra receiver and not tell them about an RV. If I do that I'll need an antenna. Is the Dish Network 500 a good one or would I be throughing good money after bad?
Am I missing the boat on this one. What's with this with not telling your provider about having one in the RV. As Noted above, My first reciever with Direct TV was installed in my RV which has it's own satellite antenna. Unless you have one of the portable satellite dishes, yes you will need one in your RV and one on the house. When I'm on the road, I use the satellite service if I end up somewhere that has either poor or no cable service. I call customer service, request a temporary signal location with no billing address change. When I get back to Vegas, I give them a call and have the location change back here. There is supposed to be a way to do it online, but I haven't tried that yet.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:49 PM   #6
ljr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang652 View Post
Am I missing the boat on this one. What's with this with not telling your provider about having one in the RV.
The Dish rules say you can only have one service location at a time per account. If you follow them to the letter than any/all of your receivers have to be in the same place whether its the house or the RV.

In talking to Direct customers I've come to believe that Direct "gets" the RV lifestyle much better than Dish. Whenever you say "RV" in a conversation with Dish customer support be prepared for a long, confusing conversation full of contradictory information. The good news is that if you don't like the answers you get just call back and talk to somebody else. They will probably tell you something entirely different.
ljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:08 PM   #7

We have a houseboat as well as a motorhome, we have dish network in our home. I got an extra reciever and installed a dish for the houseboat, works just fine. I am thinking about doing the same for our motorhome. And no i did not say it was for a different location. Somehow i don't think dish network would like that too well...lol
jjb4100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:56 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Tim, and welcome to IRV2! We use Direct TV so can't help on the Dish Network questions! Good luck & God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:18 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I talk to Dish customer service I am connected to a foreigner, I always ask for someone in the USA. That someone in the USA could be great or a moron. If I get a moron I just call back and try again. The least informtion you give them the more likely it will go well. I believe in the K.I.S.S system !!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:34 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I got dish in my RV this month. Bought an "rv on the go" vip211k reciever from camping world for $149... and an "Americas top 200 plan" for $59/month.
Supposedly I can turn the service on and off at will, thought the guy who sold it to me said it would autobill to my credit card every month? We'll see.

I do not have satelite service in my stick and brick house.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Is the Dish Network 500 a good one or would I be throughing good money after bad?
Yes, it's a reliable dish that's pretty easy to aim. However, I suggest you get at least an inexpensive signal strength meter to help you aim.

I think the 500 is intended for sats 110 and 119 -- it can be purposely mis-aimed to sats 119 & 129 to pick up the HD channels on 129.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:06 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Tim,

I am also at Solomons. I have Dish Network at my home and an extra VIP211K receiver for my motor home at Solomons.
I bought a new VIP211K receiver on eBay for just over $100. I also bought a Dish 1000 antenna for around $50 and a Tri-pod for $16. You will need the RG6 coax cable (I suggest 50'). I have the meter to aim it and would be glad to help you.

The other nice feature with the VIP211K receiver is you can connect your own inexpensive hard drive to the USB port and it will function as a DVR. This allows you to pre-record programs, pause during phone calls or dinner and fast forward through commercials. There is a onetime fee for this, but it is a bargain compared to the monthly DVR fees you would normally pay and it is good for all the receivers on your account. The only restriction is the hard drive must have its own power supply cord; the Dish receiver will not power it.

The 1000 Dish antenna allows you to receive three satellites and does not require a switch box. It will also receive HD programs with no additional equipment. However, there are several versions of the 1000 antenna. I have the one designed for the western US (1000.2), but it works great here at Solomons.

Best of luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Hi Tim,

I am also at Solomons. I have Dish Network at my home and an extra VIP211K receiver for my motor home at Solomons.
I bought a new VIP211K receiver on eBay for just over $100. I also bought a Dish 1000 antenna for around $50 and a Tri-pod for $16. You will need the RG6 coax cable (I suggest 50'). I have the meter to aim it and would be glad to help you.

The other nice feature with the VIP211K receiver is you can connect your own inexpensive hard drive to the USB port and it will function as a DVR. This allows you to pre-record programs, pause during phone calls or dinner and fast forward through commercials. There is a onetime fee for this, but it is a bargain compared to the monthly DVR fees you would normally pay and it is good for all the receivers on your account. The only restriction is the hard drive must have its own power supply cord; the Dish receiver will not power it.

The 1000 Dish antenna allows you to receive three satellites and does not require a switch box. It will also receive HD programs with no additional equipment. However, there are several versions of the 1000 antenna. I have the one designed for the western US (1000.2), but it works great here at Solomons.

Best of luck!
Thanks Vito that sounds like a plan. We'll be setting up on the 4th in section F I think it's spot 36 but not sure. Look for a dark blue Chevy 3500 or a couple or red Priuses. We'll be the Wildcat fifth wheel with the steps. Stop by.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:36 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljr View Post
The Dish rules say you can only have one service location at a time per account. If you follow them to the letter than any/all of your receivers have to be in the same place whether its the house or the RV.

In talking to Direct customers I've come to believe that Direct "gets" the RV lifestyle much better than Dish. Whenever you say "RV" in a conversation with Dish customer support be prepared for a long, confusing conversation full of contradictory information. The good news is that if you don't like the answers you get just call back and talk to somebody else. They will probably tell you something entirely different.
When we are far from home and want to receive locals, we change our service location. The receivers at home may stop receiving the local channels, but that's OK. We're not there. The alternative is to not change our location and using the OTA antenna for locals.

Tags
dish