Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2018, 08:37 AM   #1

DISH network Hopper and DVR app

Has anyone had a good or bad experience with the Dish hopper hard drive and or the mobile device DVR app for use while traveling with network access only and no wifi?

Thanks, Rick
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2018, 09:07 AM   #2

We have a Hopper 2 with the Winegard Trav'ler and really don't have any issues.

You have to have a wifi connection for movies and Netflix. When we stay in Parks we connect but otherwise it's no biggie. It's gone months w/o a connection.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
We have a Hopper 2 with the Winegard Trav'ler and really don't have any issues.

You have to have a wifi connection for movies and Netflix. When we stay in Parks we connect but otherwise it's no biggie. It's gone months w/o a connection.

Thanks for the response, Dish is claiming I would be able to watch my satellite tv that would be based at home through any mobile devise without a wifi connection and even modify DVR settings remotely. Have you heard of this, if this could work I may not need a dish on the coach, I already watch Netflix on my phone and want to try the streaming devise to the tv's?
Old 02-08-2018, 09:30 AM   #4

Dish anywhere gives you access to your home dvr. but you need internet access to do it. I use my smart phone to set programs on the home dvr and check programs. Have to use data to do it. I could use the phone or my jet Pac to watch on my lap top or plug into the tv, but still using data or slow WiFi from my home dvr.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:33 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucbyrickg View Post
Thanks for the response, Dish is claiming I would be able to watch my satellite tv that would be based at home through any mobile devise without a wifi connection and even modify DVR settings remotely. Have you heard of this, if this could work I may not need a dish on the coach, I already watch Netflix on my phone and want to try the streaming devise to the tv's?
It is true that the Mobile device functions do not need WiFi.

BUT the mobile device in the RV with you still must connect to to the internet - sometimes...which would usually be a cellular data connection (cellular broadband).
https://www.dish.com/features/travel/

Some programs can be downloaded to your device or to a mobile hard drive (I believe) for true no connection viewing, but most functions need a cellular internet connection.

This is the Holy Grail of the "Cut the cord" initiative to dump cable TV...but wireless broadband still has lots of gaps in coverage. And these gaps grow with different cell phone service providers.

Someday...but not now...at least not for where we travel.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:34 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Using the DishAnywhere application on a PC or app on a phone or tablet you can access your Hopper at home. Watch recorded shows, set shows for recording, etc. All much like you are sitting at home. I have used it for years. It works over your internet connection so is subject to the variability of your connectivity. I use it most often over a cellular hotspot device.

My current setup for viewing is a Microsoft Miracast adapter on the main TV. I run DishAnywhere on a Win10 PC and cast its screen to the main TV. In addition I use Netflix and Amazon Prime video with this setup.

I have purchased but not yet setup a Amazon FireStick. Newly available is the ability to install the DishAnywhere program onto the FireStick. The FireStick also includes Netflix and Amazon Prime videos. Using the Firestick would replace the need for the Win10 PC / Miracast / casting.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:47 AM   #7

Yes it works great. The hopper at home has to be connected to the internet and then you can watch, record or do it all thru the dish anywhere app on your phone, iPad or computer. My wife watches her recorded shows on our iPad while we travel. We have an unlimited data plan for our phones and iPad thru ATT.

With the ATT unlimited data we never need to look for wifi.

I have a little dongle thingy that connects the phone to the tv.

If we are in a weak cell service area the play will be interrupted.

Dan
Captain Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Using the DishAnywhere application on a PC or app on a phone or tablet you can access your Hopper at home. Watch recorded shows, set shows for recording, etc. All much like you are sitting at home. I have used it for years. It works over your internet connection so is subject to the variability of your connectivity. I use it most often over a cellular hotspot device.

My current setup for viewing is a Microsoft Miracast adapter on the main TV. I run DishAnywhere on a Win10 PC and cast its screen to the main TV. In addition I use Netflix and Amazon Prime video with this setup.

I have purchased but not yet setup a Amazon FireStick. Newly available is the ability to install the DishAnywhere program onto the FireStick. The FireStick also includes Netflix and Amazon Prime videos. Using the Firestick would replace the need for the Win10 PC / Miracast / casting.

Great information.

I have unlimited data with Verizon and rarely ever have speed or connection problems, are saying with a fire stick and dish hopper I may not need a dish on my coach?
Old 02-08-2018, 09:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
It is true that the Mobile device functions do not need WiFi.

BUT the mobile device in the RV with you still must connect to to the internet - sometimes...which would usually be a cellular data connection (cellular broadband).
https://www.dish.com/features/travel/

Some programs can be downloaded to your device or to a mobile hard drive (I believe) for true no connection viewing, but most functions need a cellular internet connection.

This is the Holy Grail of the "Cut the cord" initiative to dump cable TV...but wireless broadband still has lots of gaps in coverage. And these gaps grow with different cell phone service providers.

Someday...but not now...at least not for where we travel.

Best luck

Thanks, I am just a little skeptical of dish sales claims and was hoping someone had had some success with their claims actually working on the go.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Dish anywhere gives you access to your home dvr. but you need internet access to do it. I use my smart phone to set programs on the home dvr and check programs. Have to use data to do it. I could use the phone or my jet Pac to watch on my lap top or plug into the tv, but still using data or slow WiFi from my home dvr.

I haven't heard of the jet pack, is this a good device?
Old 02-08-2018, 10:19 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucbyrickg View Post
Thanks, I am just a little skeptical of dish sales claims and was hoping someone had had some success with their claims actually working on the go.
The connectivity is really up to the individual's situation.

We have tried the app for our Dish receivers. Where we go, there is often weak or no cellular internet. But, the Western US (our primary travel area) has vast areas with little infrastructure.
For this reason, we take a receiver on the road. We have a rooftop antenna AND a portable for when shade trees block view of the southern sky.

If the individual always goes where there is a good cellular internet or good campground WiFi, it should work great.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:29 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I want to follow this thread closely. This is exactly what I am looking to do.

I will have Dish at my RV pad in AZ and have been thinking of how to make this all work. I have just added the Hopper 3 and 2 Joeys on the coach, replacing the 211K and 612 Dish receivers. I was going toad another Joey to the RV lot for my outdoor TV. Perhaps that should be the Hopper and put the second Joey on the coach.

I already have the Firestick but just haven't set it up. I am struggling with getting the right unlimited data plan. I use the Verizon Jet Pack with 22 gigs of data which is not enough for steaming Netflix or Amazon Prime much. Thinking of checking into the Family Motor Coach $49 month unlimited Verizon plan. Tried for months to get on that $20 month Mobley deal to no avail. Missed out that one.

Vsheetz or others if you have more to offer I would be very interested. Thanks for the great input. Staying connected on the road has been the biggest challenge for me.

Thanks
Steve
Old 02-08-2018, 10:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
The connectivity is really up to the individual's situation.

We have tried the app for our Dish receivers. Where we go, there is often weak or no cellular internet. But, the Western US (our primary travel area) has vast areas with little infrastructure.
For this reason, we take a receiver on the road. We have a rooftop antenna AND a portable for when shade trees block view of the southern sky.

If the individual always goes where there is a good cellular internet or good campground WiFi, it should work great.

Best luck

Thanks, yes we usually parking lot camp in major cities or at campgrounds with wifi mostly in the mid west and east.

It sounds like its best when trying fairly new technology to have a good back up system that usually works as well.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer Guy View Post
I want to follow this thread closely. This is exactly what I am looking to do.

I will have Dish at my RV pad in AZ and have been thinking of how to make this all work. I have just added the Hopper 3 and 2 Joeys on the coach, replacing the 211K and 612 Dish receivers. I was going toad another Joey to the RV lot for my outdoor TV. Perhaps that should be the Hopper and put the second Joey on the coach.

I already have the Firestick but just haven't set it up. I am struggling with getting the right unlimited data plan. I use the Verizon Jet Pack with 22 gigs of data which is not enough for steaming Netflix or Amazon Prime much. Thinking of checking into the Family Motor Coach $49 month unlimited Verizon plan. Tried for months to get on that $20 month Mobley deal to no avail. Missed out that one.

Vsheetz or others if you have more to offer I would be very interested. Thanks for the great input. Staying connected on the road has been the biggest challenge for me.

Thanks

Steve

Is the jet pack just a hot spot?

Rick

Tags
dish