Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2010, 11:05 PM   #1

Dish Network or DirectTV Sat. Programming?

We chose Dish Network because they have the "Flex" plan that allows us to deactivate our service anytime at no cost and reactivate it anytime at no additional cost. When it is de-activated we pay nothing each month. There is no contract or long term commitment. The "Flex" plan is month to month. This works great for us in our MH because we aren't full timers.

With DirectTV you can de-activate your contract only 6 mths in any 12 mth period, then you must resume paying for your monthly service regardless.

Another reason we choose DishNetwork over DirectTV is because our Winegard Carryout Automatic satellite antenna(GM-1518) will pickup Dish Network HD channels. It won't pickup DirectTV HD channels.

In the past we had DirectTV in our stick home. Then, we would grab a receiver out of the house and put it in the MH and off we went. But we weren't exactly happy with the cost of DirectTV, so we switched to the local telephone, cable, and internet co-op and because we bundle our we are saving $$$. And that's a good thing.

We hope this helps?
lonestarace is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2010, 04:25 AM   #2

[QUOTE=lonestarace;650218]We chose Dish Network because they have the "Flex" plan that allows us to deactivate our service anytime at no cost and reactivate it anytime at no additional cost. When it is de-activated we pay nothing each month. There is no contract or long term commitment. The "Flex" plan is month to month. This works great for us in our MH because we aren't full timers.

With DirectTV you can de-activate your contract only 6 mths in any 12 mth period, then you must resume paying for your monthly service regardless.

Another reason we choose DishNetwork over DirectTV is because our Winegard Carryout Automatic satellite antenna(GM-1518) will pickup Dish Network HD channels. It won't pickup DirectTV HD channels.
In the past we had DirectTV in our stick home. Then, we would grab a receiver out of the house and put it in the MH and off we went. But we weren't exactly happy with the cost of DirectTV, so we switched to the local telephone, cable, and internet co-op and because we bundle our we are saving $$$. And that's a good thing.

Glad to see you testify. I have been thinking for some time about going to Dish in a bundle. I have had Direct for over 10 years and have been satisfied with it's simplicity. However, my monthly charge has gone through the roof for no more TV than I watch. There are so many misleading statements made by both entities it is hard to evaluate them realistically. So I guess your point of saving money in a bundle is the best argument for change. decisions decisions decisions!
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:28 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We currently use DirecTV but I have been thinking about the usefulness. I just replaced the TV with a new flat panel TV. It is very nice but we cannot get HD with DirecTV. We would have to replace our sat. dish at a cost of $1500-2500.

We have been using normal over-the-air transmissions to get HD with the standard Winegard antenna. Works very well and no problem with trees. And it is FREE.

One question. Will Dish recieve HD with the standard, old round antenna?
thepratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:41 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
no charges for Flex when deactivated ???

We signed up for Flex on Dish Network in April. Our biggest problems have been with the KVH sat on the roof. Once that decides to work, we get good channels from Dish.

Thought that we had to pay at least $19.99 each month for Flex? We can upgrade and downgrade our Dish package for the months that we use the MH (we're not fulltime). I'll have to check into the "not paying at all" for the winter months.
KSDP_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:00 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I just installed a new Winegard Trav'ler on the coach. I use Dish network at home so I gave them a call. I could use the home reciever in the coach at no extra charge, so no extra cost for the service. I just had to pay for the dish I installed.

A word of warning though! My dish account in the stick home was provided with the receivers several years ago when it was installed. The recievers were the wrong model to be compatible with the Trav'ler. They are also considered lease receivers by dish. So I purchased two new receivers of the proper model for the coach and installed them. By going this route I pay $7 per month for each extra receiver. I can call to activate or deactivate the extra units as desired just like the flex plan. So now the coach costs me $14 a month for dish, and nothing when I call to deactivate for however many months I choose. No extra contract or seperate account.

Tommy
Parkerrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:08 AM   #6

I can see here that I need to re-consider my present plan with Direct. Thanks to all for the info.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkerrs View Post
I just installed a new Winegard Trav'ler on the coach. I use Dish network at home so I gave them a call. I could use the home reciever in the coach at no extra charge, so no extra cost for the service. I just had to pay for the dish I installed.

A word of warning though! My dish account in the stick home was provided with the receivers several years ago when it was installed. The recievers were the wrong model to be compatible with the Trav'ler. They are also considered lease receivers by dish. So I purchased two new receivers of the proper model for the coach and installed them. By going this route I pay $7 per month for each extra receiver. I can call to activate or deactivate the extra units as desired just like the flex plan. So now the coach costs me $14 a month for dish, and nothing when I call to deactivate for however many months I choose. No extra contract or seperate account.

Tommy
I am not sure who gave you the information about your receivers not being compatible with the Winegard Trav'ler but it was incorrect information. The Trav'ler does not care what kind of receiver you use and will work with every receiver ever made. The Trav'ler is actually capable of locking onto the correct satellites with no receiver at all connected.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepratts View Post

Dish Network HD will work with any standard satellite TV antenna. HOWEVER, the programming for Dish Network comes from 3 different satellites. The main programming comes from 110 and 119 and the HD programming comes from either 61.5 or 129. If you use a manual single LNB antenna you will have to re-point the dish each time you want to change channels located on one of these. You could point to 129 only and watch only the HD programming that is available there but you would lose a lot of programming.
I would recommend that you have at least a dome capable of switching between the 3 satellites automatically or use an antenna with multiple LNB's so you can receive them all at the same time.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:54 AM   #9

Quote:
We currently use DirecTV but I have been thinking about the usefulness. I just replaced the TV with a new flat panel TV. It is very nice but we cannot get HD with DirecTV. We would have to replace our sat. dish at a cost of $1500-2500.

We have been using normal over-the-air transmissions to get HD with the standard Winegard antenna. Works very well and no problem with trees. And it is FREE.

Using an external dish to receive Dish HD you need the Dish 1000 model round antenna to capture all three satellite signals at the same time.
buck62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:59 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Bill,

I just went by the installation manual for the Trav'ler. It said to use either a 311 or 611 receiver with it only. As you said it probably wasn't neccessary as I used a 311 in the bedroom but put a 322 in front so that it would operate my forward TV as well as my outdoor TV at the same time on different channels. I could have saved the cost of the receiver and the $7 a month on the bedroom, but not the front as I didn't have a dual receiver in the house. Live and learn, my lessons are usually the expensive kind where I say DUUUU at the end.

Tommy
Parkerrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:05 AM   #11

€We DON"t have Dish or Direct TV in our stick house. We have cable that is bundled with our landline and internet service.

To view HD channels on the Dish Network you need: 1) an antenna that points at satellite 129, 2) a Dish Network HD receiver, 3) and an HD(1080p) TV, 4) HD programming from Dish Network,which is now free for life for "Flex" accts if you pay a one time $99 fee. If you sign a contract, HD is free. We have a "Flex" acct that we only activate 2 or 3 mths a yr. We have the "Americas Top 120 w/HD" package that we pay $40/mth for only those mths that it is activated. This works for us. We recently upgraded our non-HD receiver from the old Dish500 model#3900 to a new HD model# VIP 211. We got it directly from Dish Network. We had to pay for $100 because we have a "Flex(mth to mth)" acct. If you sign a year round contract, again its free.

A couple of weeks ago CW had an online only sale for the Winegard Dome Carryout(13.5 lbs) Satellite antenna(GM-1518) for $660(normally $800). This antenna will point at satellites 129, 119, 110 or 61.5 when the user sets the dip switches for Dish Network, and as a result will get any channels on these satellites. Most of Dish Networks HD channels are on satellite 129. This antenna can only point at one satellite at a time but it automatically finds and moves seemlessly between these satellites.

We have an old(1999) in-motion KVH dome on our roof, but it will only work w/DirectTV. Another limitation fixed domes have is trees. We often times don't have a clear view of the southern sky where we have to park. With our carryout automatic dome antenna we stand a much better chance of getting a clear view.

I plan to make a little wheeled cart for the dome, and a manual reel for its power cord, coax, and the chain that will be bolted to the MHs frt curbside basement where it will be stored. We wouldn't want this little jewel to accidentally walk off. We have a coax cable(from Sat. receiver), 12v and 110v in this compartment.

We hope this helps?
lonestarace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:11 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
Dish Network HD will work with any standard satellite TV antenna. HOWEVER, the programming for Dish Network comes from 3 different satellites. The main programming comes from 110 and 119 and the HD programming comes from either 61.5 or 129. If you use a manual single LNB antenna you will have to re-point the dish each time you want to change channels located on one of these. You could point to 129 only and watch only the HD programming that is available there but you would lose a lot of programming.
I would recommend that you have at least a dome capable of switching between the 3 satellites automatically or use an antenna with multiple LNB's so you can receive them all at the same time.
Bill,
Thanks for the info. I think our Winegard will switch between 110 and 119 but I don't think it knows about 129. It is the type that mounts on top of the MH in a folded position, single LNB. You have to change dip switches for the service you are using. I think I remember the setting for Dish as 110.
thepratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Bill,
Thanks for the info. I think our Winegard will switch between 110 and 119 but I don't think it knows about 129. It is the type that mounts on top of the MH in a folded position, single LNB. You have to change dip switches for the service you are using. I think I remember the setting for Dish as 110.
You are quite likely correct. Their older antennas (pre-2008) could only toggle between 110 and 119 and they did not do a very good job of doing that! The AS2003 (white control box with 4 buttons) came out in (surprise!) 2003 and was a very bad antenna. Prior to that the RM9946 had a similar white box with a digital display that allowed you to select the satellite. It worked very well but would not toggle, you had to manually select the satellite.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:56 AM   #14

Mid Atlantic Campers
Whats going on with the new Dish Net upgrade, it uses satellite #77 only. Will the traveler see 77 ?I was told by a Dish Net installer that the Traveler has the wrong dish, it is a 2000.1 and needs to be a 2000.2 dish ? Is this true, I'm not doing the upgrade due to this statement.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote