Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2014, 02:59 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Your receiver maintains an internal list of the channels it is authorized to decode for you.
Normally, this list is updated by a refresh from dish once a day. The list expires approximately 4 weeks after it was downloaded. If you receiver is connected to both a (properly aimed) dish and AC, it'll pick up the update, even if it is turned 'off'. If your list expires, you can't decode any channels until the list is updated. A simple call to dish, request technical support, and when you get a tech, just tell them your receiver has been unplugged for a month and needs an authorization list update. About a minute later your receiver will start working normally again. If you get someone who won't just send a reauthorization signal, but wants to do all kinds of diagnostics, just hang up and call again (about 1 agent in 20). My rv lives indoors when not in use and I have to call almost every trip, and almost never a problem.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2014, 10:32 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tquarles View Post
Your receiver maintains an internal list of the channels it is authorized to decode for you.
Normally, this list is updated by a refresh from dish once a day. The list expires approximately 4 weeks after it was downloaded. If you receiver is connected to both a (properly aimed) dish and AC, it'll pick up the update, even if it is turned 'off'. If your list expires, you can't decode any channels until the list is updated. A simple call to dish, request technical support, and when you get a tech, just tell them your receiver has been unplugged for a month and needs an authorization list update. About a minute later your receiver will start working normally again. If you get someone who won't just send a reauthorization signal, but wants to do all kinds of diagnostics, just hang up and call again (about 1 agent in 20). My rv lives indoors when not in use and I have to call almost every trip, and almost never a problem.
Thanks, that explains it perfectly. I will hook up my tailgator about every 2 weeks. That should do the job. Finally some one with an answer.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:06 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just called DISH to cancel/suspend/pause my service as the RV will not be used till March. After much discussion, they are charging $5 per month while not being used.
I called 800-333-3474, are others being charged a fee?
FMCA F438950
AUPOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:04 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUPOP View Post
I just called DISH to cancel/suspend/pause my service as the RV will not be used till March. After much discussion, they are charging $5 per month while not being used.

No I am not paying a fee. You have to insist that they "DISCONNECT" your service. DO NOT accept anything else, if they do not want to do this get rude with them and demand your service be disconnected. DISH is trying to maintain the appearance of growing customer numbers and when you cancel your service it subtracts from their number of customers. If you just suspend then your still counted as a customer. It's a PR/EGO thing with DISH trying to say they are growing while DirecTV and cable are losing customers.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:37 PM   #33

I recently switched to DirectTv and Dish was not happy. They offered more and more to make me come back, eventually they offered $50 off each month for a year! Too late, I had already switched and I like Directv a lot more.
If you have Dish, tell them you are going to cancel and you can get $300-$600 off your bill for staying.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Enconcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:01 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUPOP View Post
Is this on the Pay As You Go plan??
If so you have been given the worn g info
Don/Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:20 PM   #35

Just bought a tailgator that only works with dish. Then they drop FOX news. Time to sell the tailgator and switch to direct??? OR is there a mod that can make a dish tailgator find a DIRECT satalite?
Old 01-08-2015, 04:44 AM   #36

x2 but have used them about 15 years.
dvkiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:21 AM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Pay as you go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don/Lou View Post
Is this on the Pay As You Go plan??
If so you have been given the worn g info
Yes, you certainly have been bamboozled!! There is no dollar charge for disconnect on the "Pay as you go plan." As for Dish dropping Fox, they did not drop Fox. Dish is in contract disputes with CNN and Fox with their demands for more money. IMHO no loss there's just too many factual entertaining media to watch than the propaganda laden biased information broadcast from both networks. Turn them off and watch the history channel or an old Andy Griffith show and do your blood pressure a favor.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:49 AM   #38

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can do what I did once with DirecTV

Call them, at the main number, Tell them you need RV support and if they transfer you outside the company call them back and say:
Transfer me to ___(the other compan)___ again and I'm calling DirecTV

Amazing how the name of the competitor works wonders.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:19 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
Yes, you certainly have been bamboozled!! There is no dollar charge for disconnect on the "Pay as you go plan." As for Dish dropping Fox, they did not drop Fox. Dish is in contract disputes with CNN and Fox with their demands for more money. IMHO no loss there's just too many factual entertaining media to watch than the propaganda laden biased information broadcast from both networks. Turn them off and watch the history channel or an old Andy Griffith show and do your blood pressure a favor.
I got the same story from Dish when I went to shut our service off right after the holidays. They insisted that it had always been that way. I got them to suspend the $5 monthly fee for the next 3 months until we turn it on again.

Sounds like the key is, as others have mentioned, to specifically state that you want to disconnect. They offer a "pause" which is where the $5 comes in. The pause allows you to keep your current plan (and monthly rate). If you disconnect, you are subject to whatever plans they're offering when you reconnect.

I wish they were more up front about this stuff...
anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:26 PM   #40

Ford Super Duty Owner
I just set up my dish and receiver and contacted Dish network to activate the service. The cost is $7 a month because I already have service in my home when not in the RV. They also informed me that I can suspend the service when the motorhome is not in use and there will be no monthly charge for the motorhome unit.
trikeleader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish