Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2016, 07:48 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Dish Network threw me a curve!

Have dish network pay as you go, using 211Z receivers I purchased from camping world. Rather than keep calling to activate and deactivate, I decided to have dish install a home antenna with a wally receiver in my barn loft. The person I talked to yesterday told me to call Dish once the equipment was installed at barn (home) transfer the two receivers in MH to new account.
Just lost 2 hours of my life trying to get MH transferred to home account.

They stated the only way to combine the account was to have a technician come install two new Wallys in MH as the 211Z and Wally was not compatible on a home account......

This has me furious as they did not mention this when I agreed to a 2 year contract. Is anyone else able to use the two together
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2016, 08:15 PM   #2

I had them install it in my house and asked for two extra recievers, one for me and one for my buddy. I had no trouble at all. I will say if the recievers don't get turned on frequently I have to call and have them reset.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:20 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchuckie View Post
I had them install it in my house and asked for two extra recievers, one for me and one for my buddy. I had no trouble at all. I will say if the recievers don't get turned on frequently I have to call and have them reset.
Are they all the same type of receivers?
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:34 PM   #4

No, in the house it's 1 hopper and 3 joey's. The rv boxes are 211z
Old 11-23-2016, 08:48 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I think you received bad information from the person you spoke to. I have a Hopper and Joey at my stick house and two VIP 211Z's in our motorhome. The motorhome units we only turn on in the summer when we travel. $7.00 each per month. Everything including my landline is on one account.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:05 PM   #6

Same as above. Hopper 3 and 4 other joeys or something at home, now. Same as the OP, I started as pay as you go in the RV with a 211z then opened a normal account. I spent over 3 hours on the phone before finally getting it worked out. Here is what happened to me.

After talking to the 5th or 6th person at Dish customer service, starting over each time, someone finally got it figured out. She told me that since they don't do a credit check on you when you do pay as you go, you basically get lumped into the bad credit bucket of customers. Then trying to covert to a normal account is not possible without an act of God with the RV and the 211z included. That may have been an issue on its own.

The rep that figured it out, cancelled my pay as you go account completely. Did a credit check, opened a brand new account and set the order for the house up. Then after the new account was setup she added the 211z as an additional receiver for $7/month. It is important that that step happens after the account is setup.

She also said the other reps did not understand that the 211z would not be connected to the same system as the Hopper and Joeys. She said many reps do not understand the RV setup and there lies the problem.

Not sure if this is the same issue you are having, but it sounds painfully familiar. Try hanging up and calling back several times until you get a knowledgeable rep. Sad that it takes that. Dish has the worst customer service I have ever dealt with for account setup. Once up and running, all is good. Good luck.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:08 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just an idea...what would Dish say if you sold the 211's?

To emulate this, you could cancel the RV account, then "act" like you just acquired them, adding them to the home account...should only be $7 per 211.

211's are solo receivers, that can work in an RV...but it's fine to use them in a fixed location.

I would be inclined to believe the Dish Rep was just trying to avoid losing a full priced account.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:13 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
They both have to be a Wally or 211 but not one of each. You just need to change the Wally for another 211. Wally are taking over for the 211 so when you opened the new account they gave you latest receiver.
Blimjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimjr View Post
They both have to be a Wally or 211 but not one of each. You just need to change the Wally for another 211. Wally are taking over for the 211 so when you opened the new account they gave you latest receiver.
The wallys are for his house. The 211z is for the RV. Not on the same system/dish.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:21 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Bad info .. I have a Wally in my stick home on a perm dish which THEY came and installed shortly after they were introduced , on the same account my RV tuner was on I had a 211k in my Motorhome on a active account they had no problem.. that was in march of this year
I thenwent full time and added another 211z ( the second receiver in the MH 3rd on the account ) again no question. I leave the wallly active at the sticks and bricks for when my daughter is there ..
I'd ask for the RV "department" or just call again. Perhaps call tech support first
They are correct the Wally won't work supposedly unless it can see all 3 satellites ,211's can or so I've been told but of course the home dish sees all three. Many mobile RV are single lnb portables
The only difference is I'm not" pay as you go" anymore it's on a two year contract ..that I started at the same time . perhaps that's why and I didn't ask anything about a RV just add to my " account " for use while home.
Long and short .. they all work great , all on the same account and they know it ! I change service addresses all the time as I move ( of course that removes locals from the Wally at home but I can get Those over the air at home.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnRide View Post
I think you received bad information from the person you spoke to. I have a Hopper and Joey at my stick house and two VIP 211Z's in our motorhome.
The Wally is not the same as a 211.

You can't have a Wally with a 211. If you want 2 receivers in your RV, then it's two Wallys or two 211s, not one of each. You can't mix 'em.

However, if you have a Hopper in the house (S&B), then you can have 211s or Wallys in your RV.

OP, as soon as you had that Wally installed in your house, you had to go with Wallys in your RV.

I suggest you talk with DISH's Customer Retention and get them to trade your barn Wally for a Hopper.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:35 PM   #12

So I'll bite. Why can't a Wally and a 211 be mixed?
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:51 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
The Wally is not the same as a 211
OP, as soon as you had that Wally installed in your house, you had to go with Wallys in your RV.
Perhaps as a new policy? Certainly not technical . As you can see from my post above ... a Wally at home and 211's in the RV works fine. And at least in March or April? that's what they themselves did.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes754 View Post
So I'll bite. Why can't a Wally and a 211 be mixed?
DISH policy.

You can also technically "mix" VIP receivers (211, 722, etc) with Hopper 1 & 2s, but DISH doesn't want you doing that either. However, DISH finally relented to RVers with house Hoppers allowing them to have 211s in their RV.

Wallys appear to be a 211 replacement and DISH doesn't want the two mixed even if they can technically work together.

For more info, see Satellite Guys Forum from this July.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish