Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2017, 02:23 PM   #1

Smile DISH: new CHAT layout, quicker response

I've noticed for several weeks the DISH has updated it's former CHAT layout, with the 'new' Chat option being simpler and quicker. No more 'drop down' for the type of chat, just a big RED button on the lower section of the acount page.

Enter a few simple account details, and your 'question', which for most of us is probably changing the local Channels SERVICE ADDRESS. Using the 'presaved' chat wording below, and adding the current address from google maps 'cut and paste', this can be done from your phone so much quicker, and not near the confusion on their end...

"hi, traveling in our Motorhome with our Receiver, so that we can receive LOCAL channels, please update our Service Address to:
6580 Clinton Hwy, Knoxville, TN 37912"
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2017, 02:29 PM   #2

Maybe that is why Chat was broken Saturday, it was in change.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:47 AM   #3

We almost dropped DISH because no matter what I said they seemed to drop my local programming when we changed service address. And it was such a hassle to get it reinstated including wanting to charge us for it. It didn't seem to matter if I called or did a chat. And they were not willing to assign me someone who would either do it right OR follow up with a manager who would look into why it kept happening. But I do welcome a more streamlined chat! Hoping they addressed the training or system glitch on dropping my locals!
lnanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnanne View Post
We almost dropped DISH because no matter what I said they seemed to drop my local programming when we changed service address. And it was such a hassle to get it reinstated including wanting to charge us for it. It didn't seem to matter if I called or did a chat. And they were not willing to assign me someone who would either do it right OR follow up with a manager who would look into why it kept happening. But I do welcome a more streamlined chat! Hoping they addressed the training or system glitch on dropping my locals!
Perhaps a definition is necessary. When you change your Service Address to a location more than 200 miles from you last locations, you will probably lose your local broadcast channels. But you will receive new Locals (broadcast channels) from the location you moved to.

That is a function of the spot beam patterns that deliver Locals broadcast channels, not bad Dish CSRs.

We only change the Service Address when we move out of a spot beam but that is 20 times or more a year and only once two years ago that the CSR forgot to do the Locals switch.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:49 PM   #5

it works

we've changed ours EVERYDAY since coming back into the US from Alaska/Canada on July21st - everyday we were in a different local 'service address' area - and it works everytime.... tho:

sometimes the 'update' does not go thru - dont know why, but I'll blame it on Dish's internal systems and how the CSR's are trained to handle it, but usually a second chat solves it. I've decided that it's best to keep the chat going until you see your 'old' local channels turn RED, meaning that the signal was set correctly.

the new chat is just shorter and it seems the CSRs now know what to do, without any confusion or a lot of additional questions, and not a single time have they asked if I 'also wanted to update my Billing Address' nonsense!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:04 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Changing the service address makes it so you get local stations near you, wherever you are. It does not provide your 'home' stations. We recently travel from west coast to East coast and back, over a period of five months and many service address changes. It worked very well. Used chat most times to change the service address.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:28 AM   #7

Maybe it's the package we have that causes confusion VS. others' experience here. We know we don't keep our "home" local channels and we follow the spot beams to reduce the number of times we have to change our service address. But I've learned to check my profile on DISH online when they change the service address to check that the "local" programming add-on is still listed. I also check the billing address to make sure it didn't change. Our chat script always says "please change our SERVICE address only to..." We've also started to emphasize that they make sure our locals don't get dropped once that started happening. But both of those don't seem to make a difference. It's the luck of the draw in who we get. But I definitely lost my patience when it happened 4 times in a row! I was especially upset I couldn't escalate the issue to a manager to see if it was system glitch since it seemed to happen so much.
lnanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:45 AM   #8

I agree that the Dish CS reps are poorly trained/don't care about service address changes. I only change 3-4 times per year and it is very rare when it is done correctly the first time be it chat or on the phone. Even when it is changed they usually also change the billing address.

They keep telling me they are going to add the service address change to the account login but it still has not happened.

How can it be so hard?
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:03 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
We run into a problem every now if we use the word "Motorhome".

We bring our at home receiver (VIP 222) with us and use it while on the road. We just tell them that we temporarily moved, and give the new service address.

We had a couple instances when we said we were in a motorhome, BIG MISTAKE - the Chat person said the receiver wouldn't work in a motorhome and then the long discussion ensued before we finally told them Look, we've done this hundreds of time, ee accept all responsibility if it doesn't work, just change the service address, everything else stays the same.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
I agree that the Dish CS reps are poorly trained/don't care about service address changes. I only change 3-4 times per year and it is very rare when it is done correctly the first time be it chat or on the phone. Even when it is changed they usually also change the billing address.

They keep telling me they are going to add the service address change to the account login but it still has not happened.

How can it be so hard?
It isn't that hard and too many users have successful changing of their Service Addresses. I have more than a dozen changes a year with no problems.

And for the last year, the CSRs seem to be very aware of Service Address changes.

You may have problems but I don't think it is the Dish CSRs.

Tags
dish