Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #15

If you go with DirecTv be prepared to call them every month or every other month to argue price and be on the phone for an hour. To get a fair price they have discounts that expire every 3 -6 months that they hope you don't notice expiring (or don't care)on the bill they send you AFTER it has been deducted from your credit card.
Their billing practices are nothing short of deceptive and should be criminal.

You will pay that high price to get 250 channels of which you won't watch 235. Those you do watch will be mostly commercials. When the show eventually comes on, it will be filled with pop ups and opaque ads for what is on next. Even the guide will have Bold in color commercials.

If DW was not addicted to TV I would drop it in a heartbeat.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2013, 10:14 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
I switched from Dish to Direct 2 months ago. On install the HDMI Cable was too short (sorry we only offer 1 size) so I was forced to buy a longer one. Numerous calls and e-mails asking for compensation for the cable were either refused or ignored. For some unknown reason I'm not eligible for the $200 AAA savings offered in Westways magazine every month. When I inquire why I'm told because their PC says I'm not. It took 4 phone calls to receive my refer a friend discount.
While their system is user friendly and programming is good their customer service really stinks.
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
After 17 years of Directv, I have gotten so fed up with the Customer Service. You call and get someone who does not even speak good English I just decided they have also priced themself out of touch with me so cancelled them 3 months ago and have not missed them one bit!!!!
Today we came across the Tailgater from Dish. My wifes company now carries them. So we checked out the programming as we are preparing to go FT. What a deal and I spoke with the RV representative from Dish. Friendly, easy to use, pay as you go, no connect, disconect, programming change fees. HD, local channel from 200 miles of your base, relocate and you can call them and again, no fee they will reprogram you local channels for you. Very friendly and accommodating folks so we will hook up soon!
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #18

If you plan to stay with your current KVH Trac Vision unit and you are looking at Dish, be sure you verify that they are compatable (without expensive mod's) Thats what happened to me. The Dish sales rep said 'sure no problem'. I cancelled cable at home and installed Dish, so I could just add one more receiver to my plan, and put that in the coach. Then I found out that my L3 would require mods costing 1200 bucks to work with Dish. I had Dish pick up their equipment and cancelled the contract.
I understand that Direct SD boxes work with the older Trac Vision units. Either way you go, its worth the time to talk to the KVH folks first, and check the fine print........

Dale & Carol
'02 HR Endeavor
Gig Harbor, Wa
Wuzaboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #19

To further question the knowledge of you good folks, we are still under some kind of a contract with Directv. We plan to start traveling again (we live in our motorhome) and are doing some major work on it. Since the roof is being replaced, we thought it would be a good time to remove our King-Dome, which gave us excellent service, but, is now ready to be retired.

Question is, since we are still under contract and will need to stay with Directv, what type of satellite op do you folks recommend? DH is looking at the Rover or the King-Dome In-motion satellite. Comments? Thank you!

Carole, Paul, Nikko (Brussels Griffon), Darla (?), Pedro (one-eyed Chihuahua) and Casper (singing canary).
MobyDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:12 AM   #20

If you are staying with DirecTV about the only way to go is with the Winegard Trav'ler if you want roof mount and HD. That I am aware of.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:28 AM   #21
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobyDick View Post
To further question the knowledge of you good folks, we are still under some kind of a contract with Directv. We plan to start traveling again (we live in our motorhome) and are doing some major work on it. Since the roof is being replaced, we thought it would be a good time to remove our King-Dome, which gave us excellent service, but, is now ready to be retired.

Question is, since we are still under contract and will need to stay with Directv, what type of satellite op do you folks recommend? DH is looking at the Rover or the King-Dome In-motion satellite. Comments? Thank you!

Carole, Paul, Nikko (Brussels Griffon), Darla (?), Pedro (one-eyed Chihuahua) and Casper (singing canary).
before the end of contract, you might want to consider temp solutions, like a tripod thing. the roof mount system with box is a serious investment, that should be done with long term goal in mind.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #22

Kro-

Before you sign up on pay as you go I would get everything they are promising in writing. "Pay as you go" can only be put on a 6-month hold after which it gets turned on automatically and you start paying. This may or may not be a problem for you. They also charged me programming change charges every time I had it turned back on after the second time. There was a programming change charge for each movie channel and extra I had. The charges were credited back but I needed to call and complain to someone in the Phillipines. Sometimes you get a good tech or CS person but most of the time not. I finally went up on the roof of my house and found a spot between the trees I could receive all 3 satellites with a satellite locator app because the installer said he couldn't get all 3 sat's. Now I have DISH for the house and just take a receiver when I travel - no more pay as you go. If the dome is blocked by trees I use the Tailgater and all works fine now.

2013 Newmar Ventana 3634
gmpartsvet is offline   Reply With Quote