Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2007, 02:19 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
I did a 'find' for other discussions on this topic...and there doesn't seem to be any 'current' info.

We disconnected our cable in November before leaving for the winter. Now is the time to go satellite, and we've been researching...both appear similar. For those of you more technically adept & experienced RV'ers, which one might be better? I've seen the "DNS" on DirecTV, but does DISH have anything similar?

And how does one work with the 'landline' phone requirement when you're gone from home? I've also heard to make sure the RV gets installed first in the 'free' installation.

Any help is appreciated!

Rose
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2007, 02:19 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
I did a 'find' for other discussions on this topic...and there doesn't seem to be any 'current' info.

We disconnected our cable in November before leaving for the winter. Now is the time to go satellite, and we've been researching...both appear similar. For those of you more technically adept & experienced RV'ers, which one might be better? I've seen the "DNS" on DirecTV, but does DISH have anything similar?

And how does one work with the 'landline' phone requirement when you're gone from home? I've also heard to make sure the RV gets installed first in the 'free' installation.

Any help is appreciated!

Rose
Old 03-30-2007, 03:08 PM   #3

Dish or Direct is like Ford or Chevy. Those who own it will say it's the best.
Dish does have DNS but it is provided by a separate company called All American.
If you have satellite internet with Hughes the satellite options are better with DTV than Dish. If you want TV service in AK then Dish will work where Direct likely will not.
Consider both companies to be the same. Now go look at their websites and you will see that they have different (yet similar) pricing options. If you watch very little TV then Dish has some less expensive (fewer channels) options.
There's no good answers here (yes, both will give you the hardware for free) but if it were me, I would be a DTV customer for the convenience.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:31 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Rose,
I'm a long time DTV customer. I have two receivers in the coach and two in the house. If you have a basic receiver, there is no requirement for a telephone line hookup. There are a lot of DTV dealers offering a variety of packages. I do not know what you mean by having the coach receiver installed first. My coach receivers are #3 and #4 of my four receivers. I see no difference in how me or any of the receivers are treated by DTV. I have installed all my equipment myself (house and coach). This is just me. I need to know about the stuff I use and installing it provides a bit of first hand knowledge.

I continiue to be a DTV customer because DTV just works. If it isn't broke, I don't fix it.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 05:53 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I dumped cable years ago, I went to DirecTV because Dish wouldn't allow me to do my own installation and I had to conform to their schedule to get them to do it. I decided that I didn't want to start a relationship with them, under those kind of terms because that was exactly why I was leaving cable.

I think that, at least for the moment, DirecTV remains easier to aim than Dish. I have a single LNB dish on a tripod that I can set up very quickly in a campground. My buddy's Dish Network is more touchy because he has to align to get both "birds". I like simple.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 03:58 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I too had a problem with Dish and their unfriendly attitude toward RV'ers.

Been with Direct for 4 years and love their service. BTW - Direct has begun offering local channels is High Definition. Something Dish is not doing.

Mark

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 06:34 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dish is getting to be less and less friendly toward RVers. I sure wish I did not have them now as I would change to Direct.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 06:36 AM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had DTV many years ago until they told me I could not carry the receiver in my motorhome and use with my DIY installation. They said because the phone would not be connected, their test signal sent periodocially would shut down the receiver because of no feedback. I felt this was BS, so I dropped them.

I have had Dish ever since and I recently upgraded to their HD package. I am very pleased with the service. When I told them I woulld be carrying the receiver in the motorhome the only thing they said was that I would not have distant network stations...to me it is no big deal because much of the big network programming sucks anyway.

So it comes down to personal preference and what you can get for the $$$.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:05 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The Dish Net receiver we now have has to have a phone attached or they charge you $5.00 more each month. When ask about an RV, they said that they did not allow the home unit to be moved to an RV. But we could set up an RV service...ie, just more money for them.

The whole bunch are scam artist in my opinion.

If it was not for TLC, Biography, Animal Planet, and a few other channels, I'd ditch satellite TV altogether.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:22 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FLYTYER:
I had DTV many years ago until they told me I could not carry the receiver in my motorhome and use with my DIY installation. They said because the phone would not be connected, their test signal sent periodocially would shut down the receiver because of no feedback. I felt this was BS, so I dropped them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
We have had DirecTV in our 5th wheels for many years. The RV receiver is billed as a mirrored receiver from our home DirecTV service and costs us $4.99/month.

When we don't use our RV for extended periods, the receiver will indeed be unable to pick up anything beyond the setup channels. In that event, I call DirecTV, they send a "refresh" signal via satellite to reactivate the receiver, and all is OK.

DirecTV knows this receiver is in the RV and is not connected to a phone line. Not a problem for them or us.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 11:35 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Wow, many shades of gray here, that's for sure. The more we get into this, the more confused we get. Hubby threw up his hands earlier!! He's leaning toward DISH -- and I don't give a rat's derriere. I just want quality service at home and on the road -- and no BS. Now THAT'S hard to come by these days!!

Still researching . . . and saving $$ by not having cable OR satellite!! But HE's dying without a remote to fool with. (Must be a man thing!)

Thank you all for your responses. And more responses are good too.

Rose
Old 04-01-2007, 05:37 AM   #12

Jayco Owners Club
We have had DTV with very little problem. 5.00/month extra for the RV.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:07 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I started subscribing to Directv two weeks ago. I have a total of 4 receivers (3 in the house and 1 in the motorhome).

The first receiver is "free", the additional receivers are $4.99 per month. Only one of the receivers in the home is required to be connected to a phone line.

The receiver in the motor home receives the same channels as the house EXCEPT for the local network channels. Also this receiver does not need to have a phone line connected. If you want to watch a Pay Per View etc., you can call an 800 number.

To obtain network channels at the receiver in the motorhome, you have to subscribe to Distant Network Services (DNS) at a cost of $9.00 per month. This will provide NBC, CBS, FOX and ABC from New York and Los Angeles (8 channels).
Old 04-01-2007, 06:25 PM   #14

BaD42 - I've been looking at subscribing to Dtv too, but just for the MH . Did you call one of the phone numbers in the various RV magazines? Won't they let you have the local channels in the RV if you are using it locally? My main reason for subscribing is to get the locals for the programing and local weather since they usually are not available from most lake campgrounds we've been in. There are so many questions out there to get answers for. How did you ever wade through all the hassels?
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G