Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2017, 12:52 PM   #1

Dish Portable Satellite Stops Working

We have a Wineguard Pathway X2 portable satellite that we don't use regularly. Our satellite box is a Dish VIP 211Z. When we haven't used it in a while, we have to have Dish "ping" it or update some software, then it will work. But, most mornings we turn it on and we have a complete signal loss, even though it shows all, satellites as green.

We can rerun the satellite search, and sometimes it's works. Other times we have to go to greater lengths to get it to work. Other times we lose the locals (we haven't moved), and have to rerun the satellite search, then they work. The next morning we usually have to go through this process again.

Has anyone else experienced this? We have ordered a Wally box, and are hoping that will help. I don't believe it's the satellite receiver, since we show that all satellites have been found.

Thanks in advance.

Kari
Klf728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2017, 01:20 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Kari,

I've found that if I leave my Dish 211Z receiver plugged in and hooked up it will stay updated even if we haven't used it for a long period of time. If I unplug it or lose power I will have to run it through it's update.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:10 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The ping to reauthenticate the receiver if not connected for over ~30 days is normal and expected behavior.

Having to repeatedly rescan for satelites is not normal in my experience, as long as you have not lost power. If after you install the wally if it persists then that pretty much isolates to the antenna.

Having to change the service address for local channels - if you are on the edge of the service area, it may work then not. I have experienced this. The edge of the service area is not binary.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
Kari,

I've found that if I leave my Dish 211Z receiver plugged in and hooked up it will stay updated even if we haven't used it for a long period of time. If I unplug it or lose power I will have to run it through it's update.

Jon

We have a roof mounted satellite that we use when we can, this is the first time in about 5 months that we have used the portable. But, good to know this part is normal.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
The ping to reauthenticate the receiver if not connected for over ~30 days is normal and expected behavior.

Having to repeatedly rescan for satelites is not normal in my experience, as long as you have not lost power. If after you install the wally if it persists then that pretty much isolates to the antenna.

Having to change the service address for local channels - if you are on the edge of the service area, it may work then not. I have experienced this. The edge of the service area is not binary.

No, we haven't lost power, it happens almost every morning. Hoping the Wally will help, we get it next week.

I guess we could be on the edge of the local service, I'm not sure how far they extend. We're in southern GA, exit 1, and our locals are Jacksonville. I'm going to believe it's the box for now, it's just flaky.

Thanks for your input.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:27 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klf728 View Post
We have a roof mounted satellite that we use when we can, this is the first time in about 5 months that we have used the portable. But, good to know this part is normal.

Roof mounted dish antenna:
Is it an in-motion or an elliptical that raises up and is exposed?
I'm wondering if you can hear those moving at night to update your channel guide?
Thanks in advance.
Jackstraw54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackstraw54 View Post
I'm wondering if you can hear those moving at night to update your channel guide?
Thanks in advance.

Ours is an elliptical that raises up, it has 3 transponders and once it find the satellites it doesn't move. I would suspect if you only have 1 transponder you could hear it move, we see our portable move when we change channels, but it's not on the roof.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:02 PM   #8

If it is anything like our tailgater see if you can open it up and watch it work. We were having the problem of rescanning often and found the wheel that raises and lowers the dish was slipping in the curved plastic part that made the dish go up and down. I found a nut and bolt near the bottom of same and there was some adjustment to it. All good now.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:20 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackstraw54 View Post
Thanks in advance.
We turn our roof mounted dish off after it locks into the satellites so it doesn't move anymore and it updates.
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:51 AM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
We turn our roof mounted dish off after it locks into the satellites so it doesn't move anymore and it updates.

Thanks. I have an in motion that came with 2015 Tiffin Allegro Bus 45OP, but added an elliptical stationary Wineguard traveler that gets all 3 satellites. I'm happy so far & yes turn off the in-motion!
Old 07-30-2017, 07:47 AM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klf728 View Post
Ours is an elliptical that raises up, it has 3 transponders and once it find the satellites it doesn't move. I would suspect if you only have 1 transponder you could hear it move, we see our portable move when we change channels, but it's not on the roof.

Thanks! I upgraded to a newer coach & now have in motion, Wineguard traveler & a Pathway X-2 taking up 1/2 of my jeep's backseat.
Once parked the Wineguard locks on & no Moving around at all!
Old 07-30-2017, 08:38 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
I think you said you had a portable dish antenna.

Use top quality RG6 with gold connectors. Keep the number of connectors between the antenna and the receiver to absolute minimum. Make sure the connections are tight (snug with pliers)

I used an older 322 Rx and a 1000.2 antenna in our Mirada.

Using our home Dishnet receiver while on the road – 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

I use the same antenna and an upgraded VIP 222 in our Southwind.

Using our home Dishnet VIP222 receiver while on the road – 1999 Southwind 35S

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
I think you said you had a portable dish antenna.

Use top quality RG6 with gold connectors. Keep the number of connectors between the antenna and the receiver to absolute minimum. Make sure the connections are tight (snug with pliers)

I used an older 322 Rx and a 1000.2 antenna in our Mirada.

Using our home Dishnet receiver while on the road – 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

I use the same antenna and an upgraded VIP 222 in our Southwind.

Using our home Dishnet VIP222 receiver while on the road – 1999 Southwind 35S

Thank you, I think we'll need to upgrade our connectors.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:23 AM   #14

Gold connectors are a hipe......just like monster cables.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish, satellite