Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2013, 06:53 AM   #1

Dish receiver powering down while sleeping...

It’s only happened twice now, but during the night while we were sleeping we awoke to find our Dish Satellite receiver had closed, powered down, and shut itself off on its own. This is a roof mounted dish from Dish Network. I thought maybe a power outage but the digital clocks on the coffee pot and microwave were on and working. Any ideas?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2013, 07:00 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

When I first read your title, I thought it was just the receiver box going into power save mode after a number of hours of no activity... but to have a roof top sat dish actually stow itself is very strange.

What model dish is it? It probably has DISH printed on it but they don't make RV dishes. Is it Winegard?? If so, what model?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
It could be heat. If it's in a tight enclosed cabinet, the receiver can build up a lot of heat.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:04 AM   #4

I've looked for the manual. No can find! I know it's a Winegard Traveler. Bought and had it installed in June at Camping World. We keep the cabinet door open when parked. Temperatures around here are in the 30's... I'll keep an eye on it and if it continues to be a problem I'll run it back to CW and see if they can figure it out. Thanks for the replies...
Old 11-23-2013, 11:13 AM   #5

Does this unit have a hand-held remote control? If so,maybe a neighbour is controlling it--Just a thought.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #6

We have experienced that with our Direct receivers. Some receivers really don't need much to kill them. I would check the cord set on the back of the receiver first. If it is tight then don't worry about it.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
My new receivers have a power saving feature from the factory set up on them, in a certain time of inactivity the receivers will power down, if this is happening , and not having the signal to the dish will it close it up? Just a thought......
Old 11-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't know if this might help, but if your roof mount dish is automatically stowing itself, it might be because the receiver in the coach has gone into standby mode. If that's the case you can change the settings of the receiver.

On your Dish remote select Menu > Preferences > Updates. There you will find an option to set the number of hours of inactivity before the receiver goes into standby. I believe the maximum is eight hours, however you can also disable the function.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It could be the power supply to the Travler. Mine stowed itself once and they replaced the power supply, hasn't happened again. Call Winegard tech support.
Contact Us - Winegard

800-788-4417
M-F, 7:30 A.M. - 5:30 P.M. CST
Saturday, 8:00 A.M. - 3:30 P.M. CST

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a digital tv converter from Echostar (The remote says DISH and works a VIP 211K) Does the very same thing.

Dish programmed them that way. PLEASE complain to dish.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
DISH programs their receivers to power down the Travler and stow it? I have DISH receivers in the MH and they don't cause my Travler to stow itself?

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:34 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I think there is some confusion of terminology here. I don't think it's the RECEIVER, but the rooftop Winegard ANTENNA that is shutting down and stowing itself. Is that correct?
Old 11-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I think there is some confusion of terminology here. I don't think it's the RECEIVER, but the rooftop Winegard ANTENNA that is shutting down and stowing itself. Is that correct?
That is the way I understood the question.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Yes, the receiver in the coach shuts off and the dish on the roof stows itself. Great feedback here: I'll check the cable and menu. Thanks much...

Tags
dish, power