Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2017, 06:57 PM   #1

Dish Reciever Question

I am hooking a dish eastern arc 1000.4 to my Wally.

I tested it at home with a different Wally and it worked great.

Now I am remote with a different Wally, and it looks like I have a clear shot to all 3 (61.5, 72.7 and 77).

During the process I was going in a less optimal position and it could only see 61.5. The Wally asked me if I wanted to remove the other two satellites from the setup. I mistakenly said yes.

I want to be sure I didn't do something that needs undone.

I have run a check switch with no dish attached and then reran with the 1000.4 attached and it only shows me 61.5. It doesn't even have a box for the other two.

Can I fix this? Or is it just not showing the other two because it can't see them?

I would think check switch would show all the satellites without a check mark if it can't see them.

Hopefully someone can help.

Thanks!
starneml is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2017, 10:17 PM   #2

Just rerun the check switch when you can get all three eastern sats.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:27 AM   #3

I did this on accident when switching my dome out for a Trav'ler. Just use the check installation option again and it should re-configure for each sat.
RickySpanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:17 AM   #4

When running the check switch routine the receiver will only show the actual satellites it can see. If you are only able to acquire the 61.5 sat in your current location that's all the receiver will show. You need to reposition and acquire all three sats for the receiver to show all three.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:58 PM   #5

Just came across this thread. I just recently switched to dish from Directv. Have a dome on roof of my motorhome with single LNB. Therefore I only receive one satellite at a time. I an having the darndest time locating the satellites. It's like the signal meter isnt always working. Also not really sure which satellite to be aiming for. Anyone that would have decent experience that could offer me some pointers would greatly be appreciated.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 02:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
Just came across this thread. I just recently switched to dish from Directv. Have a dome on roof of my motorhome with single LNB. Therefore I only receive one satellite at a time. I an having the darndest time locating the satellites. It's like the signal meter isnt always working. Also not really sure which satellite to be aiming for. Anyone that would have decent experience that could offer me some pointers would greatly be appreciated.

Chad
What model and year of dome antenna do you have on your roof?
Old 09-30-2017, 02:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
What model and year of dome antenna do you have on your roof?
Thanks for replying. It's a King Dome 9630-LP by king controls. It's kind if an odd bird. It is not automatic acquisition. I have an inside remote that I set elevation on and then set it to search in a general direction after verifying by my compass general direction.

Main problem I have is the wally in the diagnostics section. When trying to locate satellites the signal meter is not always working. Have yet to figure out when it is working. Was on phone with dish tech support over an hour this morning. Lady gave me azimuth and elevation. I searched the direction endlessly. Nothing. I ran a check switch status for probably 4th time this morning, then in 30 seconds I found the 77 satellite. I know I was all around the same area before and never got a lick Of signal. Of course I have only the channels on that satellite but is working great.

Is there a better satellite I should be aiming for? One with more channels? I have never in 10 years had a problem locating Directv satellite, but just can't seem to get with dish in locating them. Thanks so much for any help.

Chad
Old 09-30-2017, 06:34 PM   #8

Thanks everyone. Worked as you said. Thanks!!
Old 09-30-2017, 07:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks for replying. It's a King Dome 9630-LP by king controls. It's kind if an odd bird. It is not automatic acquisition. I have an inside remote that I set elevation on and then set it to search in a general direction after verifying by my compass general direction.

Main problem I have is the wally in the diagnostics section. When trying to locate satellites the signal meter is not always working. Have yet to figure out when it is working. Was on phone with dish tech support over an hour this morning. Lady gave me azimuth and elevation. I searched the direction endlessly. Nothing. I ran a check switch status for probably 4th time this morning, then in 30 seconds I found the 77 satellite. I know I was all around the same area before and never got a lick Of signal. Of course I have only the channels on that satellite but is working great.

Is there a better satellite I should be aiming for? One with more channels? I have never in 10 years had a problem locating Directv satellite, but just can't seem to get with dish in locating them. Thanks so much for any help.

Chad
What resource are you using to try and locate the sats? I would recommend Satellite Finder / Dish Alignment Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com

If you are looking for DISH Eastern Arc sats you want 61.5 and 72.7. Together they carry 95% of DISH Network programming.

One other thing, unlike DirecTV, DISH programming is spread over 3 sats either Eastern Arc or Western Arc. So you will be constantly changing antenna alignment any time you change channels, a real PITA. You might want to consider an equipment upgrade to a fully automatic antenna.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:31 PM   #10

Quote:
What resource are you using to try and locate the sats? I would recommend Satellite Finder / Dish Alignment Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com

If you are looking for DISH Eastern Arc sats you want 61.5 and 72.7. Together they carry 95% of DISH Network programming.

One other thing, unlike DirecTV, DISH programming is spread over 3 sats either Eastern Arc or Western Arc. So you will be constantly changing antenna alignment any time you change channels, a real PITA. You might want to consider an equipment upgrade to a fully automatic antenna.
Thanks again. Illkrob. I've used the website to aim my dish. The problem I'm having is the darn signal monitor on the wally. Just can't seem to figure out why it doesn't react to the signal. I messed with it this afternoon. Tried to locate another satellite and nada. Then was going to go back to the 77 satellite and took 20 minutes to find it again. When I found it the sound signified I had something but the meter still showed zero. I had to run another check status (about 10 mins) before it showed signal. I just don't get it.

Yes, I've realized that I'd have to change satellites to see all the channels. Dish neglected to tell me that when I was questioning them before I switched. I may have to look into one of the tailgater dishes. I guess with Directv fixing to do away with SD programming, my only option for the future is the tailgater.

One last question. I looked on eBay and noticed there were some options for signal meters. There were some in the $60 range that looked like they may help. Any experience with those? They claim it gives the strength of the signal as well as the particular satellite you've found. Seems to me that would eliminate my problem of the signal meter in the wally. As I said before, I've never had a problem with finding the Directv satellite. It drives me crazy trying to find these. Thanks again for your help.

Chad
Old 10-01-2017, 12:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks again. Illkrob. I've used the website to aim my dish. The problem I'm having is the darn signal monitor on the wally. Just can't seem to figure out why it doesn't react to the signal. I messed with it this afternoon. Tried to locate another satellite and nada. Then was going to go back to the 77 satellite and took 20 minutes to find it again. When I found it the sound signified I had something but the meter still showed zero. I had to run another check status (about 10 mins) before it showed signal. I just don't get it.

Yes, I've realized that I'd have to change satellites to see all the channels. Dish neglected to tell me that when I was questioning them before I switched. I may have to look into one of the tailgater dishes. I guess with Directv fixing to do away with SD programming, my only option for the future is the tailgater.

One last question. I looked on eBay and noticed there were some options for signal meters. There were some in the $60 range that looked like they may help. Any experience with those? They claim it gives the strength of the signal as well as the particular satellite you've found. Seems to me that would eliminate my problem of the signal meter in the wally. As I said before, I've never had a problem with finding the Directv satellite. It drives me crazy trying to find these. Thanks again for your help.

Chad
Where are you located now trying to access the Eastern Arc sats?

The DISH receivers are slow to react to sat signals. I remember when I had a manual open face antenna it seemed to take forever some times to get a signal to show on the receiver strength meter.

Those meters are good when using a manual open face antenna. However I don't see how you could install one for use on your dome.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Where are you located now trying to access the Eastern Arc sats?

The DISH receivers are slow to react to sat signals. I remember when I had a manual open face antenna it seemed to take forever some times to get a signal to show on the receiver strength meter.

Those meters are good when using a manual open face antenna. However I don't see how you could install one for use on your dome.
I was camping this weekend but am home now in NC. I was only about 60 miles away when camping in pretty much the center part of the state. The lady at dish said I should be able to pick up the western arc satellites.

The slow signal meter would explain why I'm having so much trouble finding them. My dish rotates around automatically and is not real fast, but not creeping along either. I think I'm past the satellite before the signal meter shows it. The only reason I found the 77 satellite yesterday was the tv made a slight different noise. It never showed on the signal meter til after I ran a check switch with the dish locked onto the satellite. That's why I thought an external meter would help.

The meters I looked at on eBay mostly have one rg6 connection for the dish. I would hook the meter at the connection behind the receiver. Once locked onto the satellite i would remove the rg6 connection and put back on the receiver. I have one of the little cheapo meters from camping world for probably 20 years but never had much success with it. The current meters I looked at claim to tell the satellite your hooked onto and the strength of connection. I "assume" it's a cheaper version of what the dish home installers use to align dish at your home. Thanks

Chad
Old 10-01-2017, 05:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Where are you located now trying to access the Eastern Arc sats?.

Extreme north central pa. No way I can WA anywhere near me (in a forest). But there is a hole I am able to make use of for EA.

Tags
dish