Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #29
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Months ago I believe I read satellite 61.5, now their web site states 72 degrees. Here is an excerpt from their web page:

" All Your Programming on One Satellite!
The Carryout Anser is designed with a larger reflector for superior gain that allows the unique ability to receive DISH HD programming from a single satellite; a key advantage over other automatic antennas that toggle between 3 satellites to receive DISH programming. The Carryout Anser antenna can also, receive all standard DIRECTV programming from a single satellite.

With a single satellite solution antenna, the chances of finding an unobstructed view are greatly improved since you are only aiming for a single satellite instead of two or three simultaneously."

I could not open the link you provided, so does it say something different?

Thanks, just want to get it correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
An Anser can get ALL of the Western Arc (110, 119, 129) or Eastern Arc (61.5, 72, 77) sats -- just one of them at a time.

Sat 72 is or 129 is preferred for HD programming.
Yes, I am aware of that. However, if you look at the post I quoted the Winegard web site information, it states it can receive HD programming from a single satellite, and the next sentence sort of clarifies that stating that it is a key advantage over "other" antenna's. So only the 72 degree satellite would be needed to receive all DISH HD programming.

I still just want to get it correct, so what would your interpretation be?
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2012, 06:02 AM   #30

Quote:
I still just want to get it correct, so what would your interpretation be?
Ignore the marketing, check the manual.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:11 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
I have the Anser and get all DISH programming on 72, except NO local channels.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #32
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 Special View Post
I have the Anser and get all DISH programming on 72, except NO local channels.

That is what I expected. It appears their marketing is correct.

My next question 38 Special is, do you have full functionality with a DVR, such as watching 1, recording another, or playback 1, record 2, or the split screen function watching two different programs with the Anser.

My technical guess is yes, as long as you do not have to switch satellites.

Thanks ahead of time for any reply.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
That is what I expected. It appears their marketing is correct.

My next question 38 Special is, do you have full functionality with a DVR, such as watching 1, recording another, or playback 1, record 2, or the split screen function watching two different programs with the Anser.

My technical guess is yes, as long as you do not have to switch satellites.

Thanks ahead of time for any reply.
Have not tried any of that. Don't have DVR, and don't have a dual tuner. But I have two receivers, one in the bedroom/outside TV) and one in the living room, we can watch any channel on either. Both receivers are 211K on DISH.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #34
KLK

Quote:
Have not tried any of that. Don't have DVR, and don't have a dual tuner. But I have two receivers, one in the bedroom/outside TV) and one in the living room, we can watch any channel on either. Both receivers are 211K on DISH.
So are you saying you watch different channels at the same time on different TVs? This is what I'm trying to do: watch different channels on different TVs in the RV. Have been trying to figure out if Tailgater will do this with 2 receivers. Does anyone know? Or do I need to go with Anser to get a portable dish and watch different channels on different TVs? Or will Anser not do this either?

Thanks.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
I can watch different channels with the Anser. But, I use two receiver for that to happen. The Anser has two outputs, one for each TV.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:12 AM   #36
sgb

I have a KVH R5SL tracking dome on the 2006 mountain aire.
I never had a problem using one a 311 DISH receiver, which is located in my garage and shop, when I am not on the road, until last week. It even worked while we stayed 6 weeks in Canada this summer. Of course, we lose the local channels after driving over 100 miles from the house.
Lately, because I left the receiver in the MH for several weeks without using it, the signal was disconnected due to inactivity.
I brought the receiver back in to the garage, and updated it with DISH, and it works fine in the garage.
But when I put it in the MH, it refuses to switch from switch DPP 1K2 to SW 42; I can tell the dome is on 119 or 110, but cannot see any picture. I have done a check switch probably 20-30 times in the last week, to no avail.
I have no phone line in the MH; if it is the problem, I did not have it a few weeks ago.
Any insights on this ?
Thank you so much.
sgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #37

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgb View Post
I have a KVH R5SL tracking dome on the 2006 mountain aire.
I never had a problem using one a 311 DISH receiver, which is located in my garage and shop, when I am not on the road, until last week. It even worked while we stayed 6 weeks in Canada this summer. Of course, we lose the local channels after driving over 100 miles from the house.
Lately, because I left the receiver in the MH for several weeks without using it, the signal was disconnected due to inactivity.
I brought the receiver back in to the garage, and updated it with DISH, and it works fine in the garage.
But when I put it in the MH, it refuses to switch from switch DPP 1K2 to SW 42; I can tell the dome is on 119 or 110, but cannot see any picture. I have done a check switch probably 20-30 times in the last week, to no avail.
I have no phone line in the MH; if it is the problem, I did not have it a few weeks ago.
Any insights on this ?
Thank you so much.
I would try this if you haven't already done so. Disconnect the "satellite in" cable from the receiver and let it go thru a complete "check switch" procedure w/o a cable attached, save the results when it ask's you. Now hook it back up and do a ck. switch a couple of times. Maybe?? Worth a try. Ps, not sure if you save or cancel? I would save first.

I have a KVH and it can sometimes do weird things to the receiver when changing from one sw. to another. I never can tell when it's going to happen. I once had a 311 receiver that would sometimes pull up an S22 or 24? switch that I hadn't used on it for a couple of years. I don't know if it's has to do with the receiver or the KVH. I never did get it figured out.

You don't need a phone line.
Pat

I just noticed that we are probably hi-jacking a thread and maybe should be moved
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #38
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLK View Post
So are you saying you watch different channels at the same time on different TVs? This is what I'm trying to do: watch different channels on different TVs in the RV. Have been trying to figure out if Tailgater will do this with 2 receivers. Does anyone know? Or do I need to go with Anser to get a portable dish and watch different channels on different TVs? Or will Anser not do this either?

Thanks.
Some of the DISH satellite receivers have the ability to provide signals to two televisions simultaneously and on different channels. I have the VIP-722 DVR, and another one here at the stick house. Both feed two televisions each here at the stick house. When I'm on the road I take the VIP-722 DVR with me. I have recorded programs on the DVR and I do not have to set up an antenna to watch the pre-recorded programs. On the back of the receiver are two satellite inputs, one says sat 1 input, and the other sat 2 input. Sat 1 is the primary input and it is the only input I use when on the road. There is an RF output called "Distribution out." I have fed it through a splitter to the Entertainment Switch. When I place the bedroom TV on the right channel and push the Sat button on the Entertainmet Switch I get to watch satellite in the bedroom with only the one receiver. In MY particular case i can only watch one channel at a time on both televisions.

With the proper antenna, and I suspect the Anser is a proper antenna, a person with the right satellite receiver should be able to duplicate what I have done for set up and receive different channels on each TV. I have done that with a portable 3lnb DISH antenna. However, with the Carryout it is one channel at a time. There is no DOME antenna on the market other than the Anser that will receive more than one satellite at a time. Dish uses 3 satellites with a normal antenna, and 1 satellite with the Anser.

Also, with the VIP-722 and the "Over the air module" installed, you can plug a Batwing into the back of the VIP-722, scan for local channels and then use the satellite "Guide" to view the scanned channels, never switching TV inputs.

Happy trails.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:54 AM   #39
sgb

[QUOTE=FreshAir;1400529]I would try this if you haven't already done

Thank you Fresh Air,

I don't know if we are hijacking the thread or not, and have no idea what and where else to go to; I apologize to everyone if it is the case.

I will try your suggestion this afternoon.
However, I don't know if I should save the result or not as it always says that "you have much less channels than previously"; I assume that it is because the receiver sees only satellite 119 at that point; if I save , then I drop all the channels that are on satellite 110. If I cancel, may be the receiver won't switch to the right switch.

I guess I could try the cancel option first, and if it does not work well, try again and do the save. I can always bring it back in the gatage or the house to reprogram if needed.

sgb
sgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:53 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
The thing you loose with the VIP722k is HD TV on both televisions. The second TV (bedroom) will only be standard definition. That is why I went with two VIP211k receivers when I went with the Anser. I had a HDMI cable run from the bedroom TV to the outside TV. That gives me HD TV outside. Right now, the 722k is just sitting in a closet.

Quote:
Some of the DISH satellite receivers have the ability to provide signals to two televisions simultaneously and on different channels. I have the VIP-722 DVR, and another one here at the stick house. Both feed two televisions each here at the stick house. When I'm on the road I take the VIP-722 DVR with me. I have recorded programs on the DVR and I do not have to set up an antenna to watch the pre-recorded programs. On the back of the receiver are two satellite inputs, one says sat 1 input, and the other sat 2 input. Sat 1 is the primary input and it is the only input I use when on the road. There is an RF output called "Distribution out." I have fed it through a splitter to the Entertainment Switch. When I place the bedroom TV on the right channel and push the Sat button on the Entertainmet Switch I get to watch satellite in the bedroom with only the one receiver. In MY particular case i can only watch one channel at a time on both televisions.

With the proper antenna, and I suspect the Anser is a proper antenna, a person with the right satellite receiver should be able to duplicate what I have done for set up and receive different channels on each TV. I have done that with a portable 3lnb DISH antenna. However, with the Carryout it is one channel at a time. There is no DOME antenna on the market other than the Anser that will receive more than one satellite at a time. Dish uses 3 satellites with a normal antenna, and 1 satellite with the Anser.

Also, with the VIP-722 and the "Over the air module" installed, you can plug a Batwing into the back of the VIP-722, scan for local channels and then use the satellite "Guide" to view the scanned channels, never switching TV inputs.

Happy trails.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #41
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
The thing you loose with the VIP722k is HD TV on both televisions. The second TV (bedroom) will only be standard definition. That is why I went with two VIP211k receivers when I went with the Anser. I had a HDMI cable run from the bedroom TV to the outside TV. That gives me HD TV outside. Right now, the 722k is just sitting in a closet.
Darn! I keep forgetting that some users go to bed to watch television, and I don't. I go to bed to sleep (or) and it takes me only a small amount of time after I shut my eyes to be out like a light.

You are certainly correct in the RF Distribution output does not provide HD, but an HDMI cable will.

Does the 211K allow for a USB connection for an external hard drive so it can be used as a DVR?
Old 12-16-2012, 08:40 AM   #42

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
[QUOTE=sgb;1401311]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
I would try this if you haven't already done

I will try your suggestion this afternoon.
However, I don't know if I should save the result or not as it always says that "you have much less channels than previously"; I assume that it is because the receiver sees only satellite 119 at that point; if I save , then I drop all the channels that are on satellite 110. If I cancel, may be the receiver won't switch to the right switch.

I guess I could try the cancel option first, and if it does not work well, try again and do the save. I can always bring it back in the gatage or the house to reprogram if needed.

sgb
It really shouldn't matter if you save or cancel as what your trying to do is get the right SW to come up on the ck sw operation. Hopefully after you ck switch with no sat cable hooked up the next ck sw with cable back on will give you the right switch #. Once you get that then you may have to do multiple ck sw test to get all the satellites. This is why I leave my 211 set to my portable 1000 dish and don't chane to my KVH very often.
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish, satellite