RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #15
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
The cable input can be the same wire as your RV Park cable hook-up...just swap the inside end of the wire from your video input selector - to the rear of the ViP-211k - or buy 2 diplexers (1 for each end) to use the coax for both connections:
Satellite Diplexer: Signal Combiner and Splitter
The Vip211K box sends 12 volts down the coax to control the Tailgater. Using diplexers could send the voltage to something in the RV like the BOMB or the TV itself. I used an A/B coax switch from Radio Shack to ensure that the 12V was isolated.

Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #16
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
The Vip211K box sends 12 volts down the coax to control the Tailgater. Using diplexers could send the voltage to something in the RV like the BOMB or the TV itself. I used an A/B coax switch from Radio Shack to ensure that the 12V was isolated.
That is a very good point about the 12VDC...I don't know what a diplexer would do to the DC flow. And different diplexers would probably do different things.

About the OP's last post re: Heat...my ViP-211k does get hotter than I thought it should. It gets just about as hot as my TiVo. I don't know what that means...I'm just sharing. But remember, if it is plugged-in then it is still running. If you power-off, it is still reading signals for the Guide and Authorization. You have to unplug it to stop it from trying to stay connected to the bird.

Safe travels

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV & OUTLAW MODS/FIXES
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #17

Tailgater

I have the Tailgater, had it for 2years, it worked real well until a month ago, it quit working, to get it fixed it cost 35.00 each way for shipping & average cost to repair is 200.00. You can buy a new one for 350.00 or refurbished for 250.00 plus shipping, having refurbished tells me they
( King Control ) may be having lots of trouble with the Tailgater. If you do buy one, or if I buy a replacement, be sure to buy the extended warranty. It may pay to look around for another portable. Portables are nice because you can position them from under trees, with a roof mount, you have to move the whole RV. I have had 150' of cable on mine & it still worked. I'm undecided right now.
Jack
jackportia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Some can be split

Satelite signals can not be split, so I was told by the dish installer.[/QUOTE]

I have my Wineguard split via two A/B switches and get Dish on all four of my TV's. Each RV unit may be different I realize but at least it worked for me.
SmokyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #19

My first Tailgater antenna went bad. Replaced under warranty & the replacement one has been OK.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #20

Here's my story. I have a Fleetwood 39j and had the trac vision stationary dome. I have dish and they are not dish friendly. So,I pulled it off, sold it on ebay for 350 and bought a king vue cube from the factory . a refurbished unit was 830.
I wanted to use on the long Michigan to California runs.

They get a lot for the ladder mount which I wanted but I noticed my fishing buddy had an old hughes dish. I uded the angle mount on the bottom after taking it apart and it worked perfect for my homebrew ladder mount.

The king motion view cube is the same as the tailgater. You can mount the tail hater there the same way and it will work well. King agreed to stop making the in motion for truckers in order to partner with dish net on the new rv program.btw my 311 receiver from my den works great. when I post in my credit for the old dish im in a motion system for 500. it works great. good luck.
cliffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:00 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will compare them to a point..

Rooftop dome: (in-motion) can be used to record shows as you drive. it is SECURE (hard for it to grow legs and walk off) and there is no set up needed.

However if you are parked under the evil signal eating tree. it is useless.

Roof mounted DISH type antennas only work when parked, but can power multiple receivers or DVRs. Also suffer from Tree-itis however.

Tailgater can be bracket mounted in such a way that it acts much like a rooftop. I DO NOT KNOW if it will work in motion (The point I mentioned) but suspect not.

Or it can be hand carried to a location away from the Evil Signal Eating Tree. Major advantage in some parks.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
I'm getting so frustrated again. Gotta chill my jets. I want this satellite tv issue behind me!

I am not sure I am getting a good signal from the dish to the receiver, there are two possibilities: 1) Bad cable/cabling 1a) Bad LNB/Antenna 2) Trees are in the road of receiving the signal. 3) the vip211K Dish receiver isn't picking up any satellite signals. And before you say anything, I can't get up on the roof, which compounds things for me too.

So I am going to install the satellite meter I ordered and see if I get a signal, any signal from the coax coming in. This will eliminate my question as to whether the cable/antenna/lnb is bad and/or if there are issues with the trees. If I can get a signal, any signal, to come in on the satellite meter, then I think the vip211K box is bad. I know when the tech came out a month ago when I first started this fiasco, he hooked up the 500.00 dumafitchy thing and immediately we found the satellite we were looking for. SO I thought there was nothing wrong with the satellite antenna/lnb/cable. Now, when I finally figured out what to do with the vip211K to get it running, I can't get a signal, any signal, to come across on the 'point satellite dish' screen, from any satellite.

ARGH!!!!

I have to wait till the signal meter gets in. Then I thought of another idea, I have an old DirectTV receiver (no dvr) in the house from years ago that I should be able to hook up and do a 'check signal strength' diagnostic from the DTV receiver, if the DTV 'point dish' screen worked, then I would know it was the vip211K, which gets extremely hot if left on for any length of time. A friend didn't think it was that warm, but it gets (to me) very warm, if not hot, when shut off and plugged in, which could be a symptom that the vip211K is defective.

Anyway, sorry, I had to vent. I'm getting so frustrated!

Oh, I talked to Blue Moon (a local RV Repair (great folks, they fixed my rear A/C unit last year) and Authorized Winegard Techs) as well as Camping World and they both want boo coo bucks for diagnostics, so I'm darn sure not going to pay 3-5 hours at 125 an hour to get this existing manual crank up single lnb 10 year old winegard dish to work (if its bad) when I can get a new auto tracking roof mount for 650.00 (plus install) or the Tailgater for 350.

Rant over.....If I ever get satellite tv running, It will be a miracle it seems!

Didn't you get your 211k from CW ? Here's a suggestion to reduce your frustration. Just take your 211 back to CW and plug it into their antenna right there at the store. I know that they will do that for you is because I've done it. Right now you are frustrated because you don't know the source of the problem. If your 211 performs at the store you've eliminated it as the issue.
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #23

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dave, I have since determined that I am not getting any signal from the satellite antenna. So I have to wait until I get a diagnosis on that. Can't justify taking the coach in for diagnostics on the antenna money wise, so I'm hoping a friend will come check it out for me. Could be a loose connection at the dish, or a bad LNB, but will find out eventually. The 211 is doing its job, but it can't finish until the signal gets to it...
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #24

So far I have discovered that the tailgator is like every other automatic dish made. Prone to lots of problems. At this point in time I think the smartest thing most people can od is buy a dish/tripod package and a decent satellite locator meter and go camping. There are apps for smart phones that will get you close, there are gadgets that mount to the dish that will show you the correct positions and by looking through them you can see if anything is blocking the signal. And finally there are meters that will lock onto the correct satellite and give you perfect alignment without the need of connecting to the receiver and yelling back and forth. I have and use all of them and can have great HD signal in under five minutes without the hassles of all the automatic breakdowns. Yea, BT,DT and have the bills to prove it.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #25

Quote:
Dave, I have since determined that I am not getting any signal from the satellite antenna. So I have to wait until I get a diagnosis on that. Can't justify taking the coach in for diagnostics on the antenna money wise, so I'm hoping a friend will come check it out for me. Could be a loose connection at the dish, or a bad LNB, but will find out eventually. The 211 is doing its job, but it can't finish until the signal gets to it...
Ok, now you at least know what the issue(s) are. Good luck.
Also, I tend to agree that if you are going to use your system on a semi-permanent set up that a ground mounted tripod triple LNB antenna may be your best option. The advantages are that they are less prone to weather related interruptions and you can use it for more than one TV. They are also inexpensive.
On the down side they are cumbersome and speaking for myself difficult to set up. I know that several posters here say that it's a piece of cake. I say, yes; sometimes that's true. But most of the time it's not so easy.
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #26

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by VestaDave View Post
Ok, now you at least know what the issue(s) are. Good luck.
Also, I tend to agree that if you are going to use your system on a semi-permanent set up that a ground mounted tripod triple LNB antenna may be your best option. The advantages are that they are less prone to weather related interruptions and you can use it for more than one TV. They are also inexpensive.
On the down side they are cumbersome and speaking for myself difficult to set up. I know that several posters here say that it's a piece of cake. I say, yes; sometimes that's true. But most of the time it's not so easy.
Yes, I am not out that much in the coach, maybe over a whole year maybe 40 days total. It just doesn't warrant that kind of expense.

But I don't like being somewhere and not able to get up, feed the pups, fix my coffee, and have the news on tv. They all go hand in hand.

So, I'll get it fixed eventually, just not going to spend money on it or buy an outside one, unless forced into it.

I need someone that knows how to install the little ends on the coax. Two of the three in the cabinet above the driver's chair were torn off. The third one, I believed and still do, is the actual cable to the dish, but will find out for sure in time.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #27

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have ordered the Dish Tailgater from CW. They had a 25. coupon, I had a 20.00 and 10.00 gift coupons, dropped it from sale price of 349 down to about 325 including tax, free shipping (added it to the existing order). I already have the vip211K, which from all accounts, fits hand in glove with the Tailgater....

I can troubleshoot the receiver, and find if it will hook up to the cable/park antenna outlet.

Then, mid August, will be able to diagnose the satellite roof antenna to see what's up with it thanks to Mr. Charlie and we will go from there......

Will keep you posted!
Old 07-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #28
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

I need someone that knows how to install the little ends on the coax. Two of the three in the cabinet above the driver's chair were torn off. The third one, I believed and still do, is the actual cable to the dish, but will find out for sure in time.
You can buy a crimping tool and replacement connectors at Radio Shack. They are fairly easy to install.

Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, dish