Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #1

Dish Tailgator and 211

I'm looking at the Tailgator and the 211 receiver. I have 3 TV's in our coach. Front, Bedroom, and outside. I will only watch 1 TV at a time. My questions is, will I be able to use the tailgator to watch all 3 TV's without hooking and unhooking coax to the receiver each time? I have Dish at home with the 722 receiver but I'm told it will not work with the tailgator.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
The 722 receiver will not work the reason for a 211.
You can operate as many TV's as you want if you have a switching control.
They all will receive what ever station the 211 is set for, you can not watch
two different channels at the same time like you can with the 722.
If you wish to have record on a 211 you will need to purchase a disk drive and
pay extra for that ability.

wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartk1 View Post
I'm looking at the Tailgator and the 211 receiver. I have 3 TV's in our coach. Front, Bedroom, and outside. I will only watch 1 TV at a time. My questions is, will I be able to use the tailgator to watch all 3 TV's without hooking and unhooking coax to the receiver each time? I have Dish at home with the 722 receiver but I'm told it will not work with the tailgator.

Thanks
The ViP-211 and 211k simulcast's 1 channel out of the HDMI and COAX (RF) ports. If you connect your TV's to those outputs, they will all get that selected channel.

I have 4 TV's in my Damon. The main big screen TV is on the HDMI port and the other 3 get the feed on a COAX cable thru the Box Of Many Button (BOMB) that selects feeds from the OTA TV, Cable TV, DVD, VCR, AUX and SAT.

If you have, or add a BOMB (selector box) or have, or add a TV splitter for the "output to TV" COAX cables it should work.
- Warning - For the 211k - HDTV can ONLY be viewed on the HDMI cable. The COAX carries only SD resolution

The remote uses IR, so it will not shoot around corners from the bedroom or outside TV's...but it will bounce off mirrors. To change channels from those TV's you would need to walk to where you can see the receiver or add a remote extender device or a properly placed mirror tile ).

As far as I know the Dish 722 does not have the powered COAX and programming to auto-aim the Tailgater. The Tailgater auto-aim function only works with the 211, 211k and 411.
See the FAQ here: Portable Satellite TV Antenna - TV Outdoors For Tailgater | DISH

The optional external hard drive (not to exceed 1TB) will enable DVR functions on the 211k for a 1 time activation fee of $40.

BTW, We LOVE our Tailgater!

Best of luck!
Steve and Kim, '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
Great views from this Fully Furnished, Detached, 2 Story RV, 1 Bedroom loft, 1 Bath, Attached Garage, and Fireplace in over 400 sq ft.
Mustang LCDR (Ret) - Sempre Paratus, Always Pirates
Scarab0088 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:27 PM   #4

I have a 211 and an HDMI splitter/amplifier to give me HD anywhere I want it. Found it at monoprice.com .
Old 05-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #5

Fantastic! Exactly what I needed to know.

Thanks
Old 05-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #6

Can the tailgater be semi permanently attached to the top of the ladder? Can it withstand weather and the rigors of being attached to the ladder going down the road?
Old 05-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrafters69 View Post
Can the tailgater be semi permanently attached to the top of the ladder? Can it withstand weather and the rigors of being attached to the ladder going down the road?
I would not recommend to do so as it's designed for portable use, stored when not in use. King control is now making a roof mounted dome unit using much the same mechanism, and supports two televisions.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:15 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrafters69 View Post
Yes, the Tailgater can be mounted topside and I have seen many of them on longhaul trucks, mounted just above and behind the roof of the sleeper.

King Control sells a line of mounts that work with the Tailgater and VuCube 2500, and their other domes.
See: VuQube Products

You could make your own as well...the manufactured mounts are kinda' pricey.

Best luck

Steve and Kim, '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
Great views from this Fully Furnished, Detached, 2 Story RV, 1 Bedroom loft, 1 Bath, Attached Garage, and Fireplace in over 400 sq ft.
Mustang LCDR (Ret) - Sempre Paratus, Always Pirates
Scarab0088 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish