Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2017, 02:43 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
I Just upgraded my Dish service from a 10 year old receiver to a hopper DVR with a Joey so my home unit would have the technology to be compatible or whatever with a unit on the RQ33 . It's easier to learn the newer setup thru the house model then setup the mobile with ease. So my night time relax time is consistent along with my laptop and available WIFI, i'm ready for anything.
Madscotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2017, 10:45 PM   #16

I have DirecTV at home and in MH. So far, I'm NOT happy with the MH's DirecTV. I'm using a Winegard rooftop dome antenna. Thus far I cannot get any locals nor can I get the national network feeds although I've signed up for both. Does anyone know how to get these problems fixed? Would Dish Network solve the problem?
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:22 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Get rid of Direct and get Dish...that will solve your Direct problems. I have had Dish at home since the old days and went fulltime in the RV 2012 using a single portable Tailgator with 211z HD receiver and a separate hard drive for recording ( same as DVR )

I see other RVers setting up big bulky equipment and then trying to point the thing and just shake my head. The Tailgater is so simple. Set it on the ground ( no tripod ) point generally south using my boy scout compass, go inside coach and click the state I'm in and click scan. 10 minutes later 200 channels including HBO ect.

NO you can't get internet thru Dish....wish it was so...
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:43 AM   #18

My MH came with direct TV, I had the Dish box from my previous rig. Went on the roof, changed the DIP switches on the antenna to the DISH configuration, and it worked. I got DISH FOR MY RV so I only have to buy it a month at a time and then it expires until I pay for another month. No worries. HD signal. etc.

That being said......

I was lucky enough to get the AT&T Mobley device with unlimited data for $20/month. It streams to my smart TV just fine and I don't have the signal issues (trees blocking, weather issues) that I have with the satellite TV, so I generally just use the park cable for basic channels, OTA TV for variety, and stream what I want from Netflix, Amazon, and other streaming services for a lot less than Dishes' monthly fee.....

There are many possibilities for TV, a big monthly fee is now optional, no contract is necessary.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:15 PM   #19

So if you have a good internet source skip the dish stuff all together. Dish Network has an app called dish anywhere. Down load it to ur smart TV or fire stick. And play anything you can watch at home on ur TV live or from ur DVR.
I recently used this to watch a football game while tailgating since I didn't have tickets to the game. It's awesome. No dish to set up or buy. No messing with cables or wires and antennas.
Sadly I just dropped dish for cheaper cable. I hated doing it. Because I really liked dish but they were just too expensive for my budget right now.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:24 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
we've been with DirecTV for about 25 years now, but we're looking at moving over to Dish. At home we have 2 basic receivers - one in the living room, connected to an HD tv and one in the den connected to an SD tv. When we're in the motorhome both receivers come with us - we have asignal distribution box that allows us to connect one of several sources to either tv so both receivers end up being placed in the cabinets on either side of the living room tv over the dash. The only downside to our setup is that both receivers use the same remote, so changing the channel on one usually changes it on both.

So, how does Dish handle 2 tvs - we need to be able to independently watch ANY channel on either tv like we do now, and we'de like the remotes for each receiver to be restricted to working on their receiver only! Can dish handle 2 completely independent receivers on the same rooftop antenna, or do we need to go with 2 separate portable antennas to get complete independence? Do they make receivers that have independent remotes - such as one using an IR interface and one using an RF interface?

Also, looking at their website the package we'd be interested in is their top one - right now it's listed as $79.99 per month for 2 years - does it include receivers or do we have ot pay extra for them?
Old 09-26-2017, 07:27 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
You can buy your own or use theirs no cut in price either way but you own the receivers if you buy and can cancel and start without return hassles
First receiver is not charged for or is included depends on how you look at and the second and more are 7 - ? bucks ea a month rent or “access” charge ( if you own it)
Old 09-26-2017, 09:12 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasenior View Post
Do you get internet through Dish as well?
No.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:37 PM   #23

Alan:
Dish can handle two TV's. You just need two receivers. Their remote can be programmed to RF on one and IFR on the other. A single antenna like Winegard X1 will feed both TV's, they just have to be watching channels that are on the same satellite. Not a big problem as most of the channels are on 129 and are in HD. Suggest getting "Dish Pay as You Go". You can cancel service when not needed and get local channels for wherever you are by changing your service address.
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:10 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had both and now have Dish again. Advantage Direct TV for ease of constantly moving from place to place, just turn on and connect. Now as far as Di sh you may have to call customer services and have them move your service, not too bad. But Advantage Dish for being able to Pay as you Go. I don't need it during the winter and just don't pay it and the restart it in the Spring or Summer whenever I get ready to use it. I only pay when plan on using it during the summer. So I may pay for 2 to 3 months a year vice ALL year with Direct TV. Advantage Dish for having HD on most channels also and if you have the Wingard Traveler antenna then you are hooked up to 3 Sats at once so the antenna does not have to move.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:40 AM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm a weekend/summer vacation camper with a Dish Pay-As-You go subscription. No problems as long as I can find a spot for the carry out antenna that has a clear view of the south west. There are various phone apps that help.

What has me about ready to call them and fully drop the service is the unending robocalls to restart my service. Last had it on in July and once the month ran out I've been getting robocalls every two or three days concerning a problem with my account that requires my attention. The recording is even timed to get the entire message automated message into a voice mail under time limit even to account for the greeting. The service is not working out as I expected in that I'll turn it on when I'm ready and I don't need or want to receive constant calls.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:58 AM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Had DirecTV for almost 20 years, switched to Dish about a year ago and never looked back. Better dvr, bigger hard drive, better tuner. Better prices.

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:29 AM   #27

Same here. 20 years with Directv. Switched to Dish when we went full-time a year ago. I miss NFL Ticket, but that is all.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:02 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmanjay View Post
Alan:
Dish can handle two TV's. You just need two receivers. Their remote can be programmed to RF on one and IFR on the other. A single antenna like Winegard X1 will feed both TV's, they just have to be watching channels that are on the same satellite. Not a big problem as most of the channels are on 129 and are in HD. Suggest getting "Dish Pay as You Go". You can cancel service when not needed and get local channels for wherever you are by changing your service address.
We'd like to be able to have completely independent receivers - not be limited to a single satellite. With our ancient DirecTV setup we have a dual LNB dish both at home and in the RV. We simply connect a receiver to each LNB and we each can watch any show we like. We'd like to keep that capability, if possible. I know it's different with Dish because their birds are in different locations - we'd probably have to have 2 separate dishes - one for each receiver - to take care of our wants. And that means both at home and in the RV - expense!

As for "Pay as you Go" - we use the same setup at home and in the RV so we'd never need to shut off the service.

Tags
dish