Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2016, 10:08 AM   #1

Dish TV Installation Recommendations

After full timing for 9 months I've decided to cave in and add satellite TV. With the little bit of research I've done, I am inclined to go with DISH because I can get HD. The King Tailgater dish seems to be a good bet as well. My preference is to have it permanently mounted on the roof.

I'm in Arizona right now but will be traveling in the west over the next couple of months. Since I have little technical expertise I would like to get this professionally installed. It looks like I could even purchase the dish and receiver and then have it installed and that it might save me a few bucks. My search turns up a number of possible installers but who knows which ones might be reputable?

I'd love to hear any recommendations you may have and thoughts on costs.

Thanks!

Peter
2015 PleasureWay Plateau - 23 feet
Two LG TVs - one inside / one outside
Weazelll is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2016, 12:57 PM   #2

Get a Pathway X2 instead -- it covers both DISH's Eastern & Western Arc sats. The Tailgater only covers the Western Arc sats.

BTW, "dual arc" coverage is becoming increasingly important as DISH drops Western Arc coverage for some local TV stations -- Dish dropping western arc locals - Satellite TV and Radio on the Road - Escapees Discussion Forum
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 03:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weazelll View Post
After full timing for 9 months I've decided to cave in and add satellite TV. With the little bit of research I've done, I am inclined to go with DISH because I can get HD. The King Tailgater dish seems to be a good bet as well. My preference is to have it permanently mounted on the roof.

I'm in Arizona right now but will be traveling in the west over the next couple of months. Since I have little technical expertise I would like to get this professionally installed. It looks like I could even purchase the dish and receiver and then have it installed and that it might save me a few bucks. My search turns up a number of possible installers but who knows which ones might be reputable?

I'd love to hear any recommendations you may have and thoughts on costs.

Thanks!

Peter

2015 PleasureWay Plateau - 23 feet

Two LG TVs - one inside / one outside

The Tailgater is a good choice. The dish contained within the Tailgater is relatively small and that makes it vulnerable to interruptions in real bad weather. Generally, however, it is excellent in delivering HD telecasts and is real easy to use. Since you are full timer a larger dish should also be considered.
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 03:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VestaDave View Post
The Tailgater is a good choice. The dish contained within the Tailgater is relatively small and that makes it vulnerable to interruptions in real bad weather. Generally, however, it is excellent in delivering HD telecasts and is real easy to use. Since you are full timer a larger dish should also be considered.
I second that. The tailgator has done us well. No issues whatsoever. You may want to read the issues with the Pathway X2 available online. Many are reported to just stop working and have to be returned.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:50 PM   #5

I mounted and installed my King Tailgater on our roof myself. I only used two mounting studs for the unit to sit 'in' while traveling. I ran the cables down the rear ladder, under the chassis, and up into the wet bay where my connections are made.
It works great, and I 've never had any issues with reception no matter where we are in the country...
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:08 PM   #6

What happens if you end up in a site where trees are blocking? Be nice if you could detach from roof and then place on a tripod!

I'm full timing in a 40 ft. Discovery. We have the KVH R5 in-motion dome just behind the front cap. Works great when I'm out in the open, e.g. S.W. where we are wintering BUT if we get into the woods it becomes harder to find a site that the dome will work in.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:18 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Get a portable Winegard Carryout. I had 3 Tailgators replaced under waarranty before I gave up.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
What happens if you end up in a site where trees are blocking? Be nice if you could detach from roof and then place on a tripod!

I'm full timing in a 40 ft. Discovery. We have the KVH R5 in-motion dome just behind the front cap. Works great when I'm out in the open, e.g. S.W. where we are wintering BUT if we get into the woods it becomes harder to find a site that the dome will work in.

Having a portable Tailgater allows you to easily move it within your site to find the "hole" in the trees and get a view to the southern sky. All you do is look for the open view, set it on the ground and you are done. I'd say it works about 90% of time.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:01 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have roof mounted dome and portable tailgater for when needed. Tailgater works well. Like the dish service having hopper in the studs and stucco.

If full timing I would have Hopper and 3 LNA ant on the roof, so as to have all the hopper capabilities and independent operation for all TVs. While keeping the tailgater for when needed.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:37 PM   #10

Time will tell but after research I went with pathway 2, have dish at home so take receiver out of bedroom.

Choose the pathway because of East / West pickups, larger reflector than tailgater and the potential for breakdown exist with anything that is electronic and has moving parts.
pop-sicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Get a portable Winegard Carryout. I had 3 Tailgators replaced under waarranty before I gave up.

Ken

I've had a similar experience with the Tailgater and went through two of them before I got the third and final one about 3 yrs ago. I don't really know if the fact that I moved the one I have now to our bedroom while in transit has helped me avoid failure, but it has held up. I carried the two that failed in my rear lower bay. Anyway, the one I have now works real well.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:24 AM   #12

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post

exactly! the two stud mounts on my roof provide a place for the unit to 'ride' with us(easy out-of-the-way storage too), but also easily allows me to either move it somewhere else on the roof, if needed, or brought down to the ground or on a tripod. I also carry up to 250' of additional coax for those 'extreme' scenerios!

Works great - and, since I also have a free manual 3 LNB tripod mount antenna dish, I can run my three main tvs from it, while also running the two boys bunk tvs from the Tailgater(for their 'teen' shows!)
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish, install