Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2014, 03:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
I created some DISH TV RV network diagrams that may be of interest to those just installing or planning to update their DISH RV setup.
Hi! just checked out your diagram. It helped and confused. But that's because I'm already confused. lol We are living in our rv in No. Dakota part of the year for work. We have the very basic Dish package at home and that is all we can afford now. I'm watching e-bay for the needed items but I just keep getting more and more confused about what we need. Can you give me a list of the least expensive components I need to hook up Dish in our rv? In as simple a language as possible please. Thank you so much for your help. Kind regards, Dee

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee2 View Post
We have the very basic Dish package at home . . .
Did you take your DISH receiver with you in the RV? If so, what model is it?

TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Did you take your DISH receiver with you in the RV? If so, what model is it?
No, we were called up here so fast I walked out without it . I'm pretty sure it is a Dish 322; Software L771; DPP Twin, Twin(1), Twin (2). That was the information I got off the system before we left.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:28 PM   #18

DeeDee2
Not sure if you have any dish equipment with you today. I can tell your home receiver (322) is a standard definition receiver. You would need at a minimum an additional receiver (301 would work well) and a Dish500 antenna. Plus the coax to run form the antenna to the receiver. Your best bet would be to purchase a receiver and antenna off of ebay or craigslist. You can call dish and have them add the 301 to the home account and you will get the same programming as you have at home. You will of course have to pay the extra receiver fee.

Next time your home you could grab your home receiver and use it as well. All you would need is the Dish500 antenna.

cheers
wildirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:13 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Evergreen Owners Club
No one ever talks about how all this equipment goes into your RV is you have a Winegard switchbox which is confusing in itself. I understand how to install this equipment in my house but how does it get routed through the switchbox.
Cathy&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy&Paula View Post
No one ever talks about how all this equipment goes into your RV is you have a Winegard switchbox which is confusing in itself. I understand how to install this equipment in my house but how does it get routed through the switchbox.
What type of Winegard switch do you have?
How many TVs do you have?
And do you have DISH or DirecTV in your RV?
Old 05-21-2014, 09:00 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Evergreen Owners Club
I have a wingard vs-0604/6412 and I have Dish right now. I have 3 tvs but as of right now I do not have the outside tv hooked up to dish. I only have a 612 dual receiver right now. I am trying to decide if I want to stay with dish or go to directv. I would like to upgrade to the Hopper or the Genie but am not sure of how to install or even if the tech that shows up will know how to install in rv with the wingard. I am trying to figure out how to get rid of the switch box completely but I am having a brain block. I keep reading that people have to rewire the entire rv cable lines so I not sure of how to do that either.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:05 PM   #22

Quote:
I have a wingard vs-0604/6412 and I have Dish right now. I have 3 tvs but as of right now I do not have the outside tv hooked up to dish. I only have a 612 dual receiver right now. I am trying to decide if I want to stay with dish or go to directv. I would like to upgrade to the Hopper or the Genie but am not sure of how to install or even if the tech that shows up will know how to install in rv with the wingard. I am trying to figure out how to get rid of the switch box completely but I am having a brain block. I keep reading that people have to rewire the entire rv cable lines so I not sure of how to do that either.
Since pretty much anything is doable (depending on how much time & money you want to spend), I suggest you decide what you want first instead about worrying about the wiring, etc.

For example, do you want HD on all TVs? Do you want to the push button convenience of a rooftop Winegard Travler sat antenna? Do you want to be able to record shows on all TVs? and so on.

BTW, I added a section on video switches (or "BOMBs") to my blog. They're mostly drawings I did several years ago, but may be useful to you and others.

RV Video Switches or BOMBs.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:25 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Evergreen Owners Club
I want the genie or the hopper because we do alot of recording and since we lost the dns we can no longer record alot of shows that come on at the same time. We want HD and to record and watch the show on any tv. I don't know if I have the right cable wires in my rv to support this so that is why I was wondering how to rewire if I had too.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:52 PM   #24

Quote:
I want the genie or the hopper because we do alot of recording and since we lost the dns we can no longer record alot of shows that come on at the same time. We want HD and to record and watch the show on any tv. I don't know if I have the right cable wires in my rv to support this so that is why I was wondering how to rewire if I had too.
First, I have DISH, but either system (Genie or Hopper) will work fine. Note that DirecTV offers DNS (Distant Network Service), but DISH does not.

I can help with DISH, but not DirecTV. For that, check with Bill Adams on the Escapees web site.

With either the Genie or Hopper, you'll really need a Winegard Travler. However, you can use an open-faced tripod sat dish like the DISH 1000.2 or 1000.4.

If you go with a Hopper and a Joey for each TV, you should be able to use your existing coach's coax wiring.

Also, since you can connect an OTA (Over-The-Air) USB tuner to your batwing and your Hopper to get local TV stations, you no longer need that old Winegard BOMB.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:37 PM   #25

TechWriter,

First, thank you for all your diagrams. I have been studying them for the last week as I am prepping for my satellite install. I am going with Dish, and I have CW installing the Winegard Travler next week. Here is my question: How important is the cable inside the coach? Your diagrams have three different cable types, but in my coach all the coax is RG6 1Gz.

If I go with the Hopper / Super Joey / Joey x 3 diagram, can I get by with the 1Gz cable? What will happen if the wire after the TAP and Integrator is only 1Gz

Thanks!

Erik
FinsUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:53 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsUp View Post
If I go with the Hopper / Super Joey / Joey x 3 diagram, can I get by with the 1Gz cable? What will happen if the wire after the TAP and Integrator is only 1Gz
Well, it might work just fine. However . . .

If it doesn't work, it could be hard to tell -- for example, you might develop an intermittent problem like losing a tuner from time to time.

If you do pull new cable in your RV, use 3 GHz -- that way any Hopper network will work.

Finally, you might just want to wait for the wireless Joeys due out in June.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:45 AM   #27
In the ether...

TechWriter,

In case you haven't seen this, sir.

Another option is the PS3 Joey app for PlayStation 3's. It works via the PlayStation remote. I just installed it on my PlayStation 3, but I did not activate it. Activation is free, but there is a $7.00 monthly fee. I did not check wireless at all because my PS3 is wired to my home network. Note if wireless is allowed, older PS3's use 80211g so depending on location, you may not get optimal performance. I know about less than optimal wireless performance--it is why I went hard-wired. The customer service rep at Dish that I talked to indicated wireless would work. Just be aware if you have an older PS3.

The application downloads from the PlayStation Store.

Scott
Old 05-25-2014, 12:06 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirishman View Post
DeeDee2
Not sure if you have any dish equipment with you today. I can tell your home receiver (322) is a standard definition receiver. You would need at a minimum an additional receiver (301 would work well) and a Dish500 antenna. Plus the coax to run form the antenna to the receiver. Your best bet would be to purchase a receiver and antenna off of ebay or craigslist. You can call dish and have them add the 301 to the home account and you will get the same programming as you have at home. You will of course have to pay the extra receiver fee.

Next time your home you could grab your home receiver and use it as well. All you would need is the Dish500 antenna.

cheers
Wildirishman, my apologies for not responding to you sooner. 2 Moves in 3 weeks and car repairs have kept me a little pre-occupied! I appreciate your input. I have a couple of questions though. Does the 301 receiver and the Dish500 antenna support 2 televisions? From what I could glean the 301 does not, so should I go up to the 311 or 322? I don't know about the Dish500 either. Is this where the Dual LNB on the dish comes in(to support 2 tvs)? Will it require separate coax from the receiver to each tv? Our home is all pre-wired so I didn't get a chance to see what the techs did their when they installed the Dish but the RV wiring is close to 20 years old and had been worked on by someone before we bought it. Which means that I will pretty much have to start from scratch with it. I'm pretty sure the connection between the receiver and at least the 2nd tv was through a small antenna though. Thanks so much for your time and patience with me. Kind regards, DeeDee2

Tags
dish