Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2014, 09:23 AM   #43

Thank you for your in depth reply. Its starting to congeal. Still a little confused as to what sats are needed for our particular viewing habits. We seldom watch our "local" channels at the house, maybe an hour of network prime time a week, but not important. We like the movie channels and cable news you can catch some part of anytime in the day. As to portable antennas, it was mentioned the 500 sets up easy but not for east coast. The 1000.2 is welded so I guess a 1000.4 with bolt on lnbs would be the way to go. On the other hand, it sounds like my roof mount trav'ler (if trees aren't a problem) can be overridden to get a satellite on the east coast for when we are over there. Maybe for now I'll skip a portable and go only with my existing roof mount until I get some actual first hand experience with reception. Maybe sticking with OTA locals is good enough rather than changing dish locals all the time. My amplified sensar IV seems to pull in 80 mile stations when aimed appropriately. So dish for consistency of the "cable" channels and perhaps OTA local weather. Good news in that digging into the "park cable coax" feed from my service bay is marked 3ghz sweep every couple of feet. Therefore I imagine the rest is too.

Thanks again for all your diagrams and advice.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2014, 04:04 PM   #44

Mr. TechWriter, I am ready to pull the trigger on an SK-1000 Travler from WineGard. I want to use a hopper for the front room and a Joey for the Bedroom. How do you get all the connections from the RV, I.E. outside Cable, outside sat connection and antenna connection so you can just push a button and connect to the correct device. Also the new TV use HDMI for the connection. Also thanks for all the info above great reading. Tom

Old 08-26-2014, 08:00 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommySnake View Post
How do you get all the connections from the RV, I.E. outside Cable, outside sat connection and antenna connection so you can just push a button and connect to the correct device.
If you want to be able to use either your Winegard SK1000 or an outside portable dish, you have two options:

(1) Single Coax from Dish to RV

(2) Dual Coax from Dish to RV

To me #1 is the preferred method because you only have to run ONE coax from a portable dish to your RV, but the coax should be rated at 3 GHz.

However, with #2 you can use 2 GHz cable, but you need 2 cables, not one.

FYI - the cable in your RV is probably at best 2 GHz.

Here's a source for 3 GHz cable.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:17 AM   #46

Trying to install Hopper/Joey Dish system on new to me Dutch star, with Wingard Roadtrip Mission in motion dome ant. Do i need a node for it to work? We're receiving some channels, but not all. And when dome is turned on, its constantly cycling back and forth after locking on. This system worked great with the dish on a tripod, so system is fine.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:32 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Harriet View Post
Trying to install Hopper/Joey Dish system on new to me Dutch star, with Wingard Roadtrip Mission in motion dome ant. Do i need a node for it to work? We're receiving some channels, but not all. And when dome is turned on, its constantly cycling back and forth after locking on. This system worked great with the dish on a tripod, so system is fine.
A Hopper isn't intended to work with sat domes.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:26 PM   #48

Thanks tech writer, I assumed, and was afraid of that. I guess only option is different receiver, or tripod carry out ant. I still have my s & b antenna whoch should work. Maybe trade my dome for a traveler.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:41 PM   #49

Besr thing ever found THANKS
Old 10-03-2014, 12:54 AM   #50

Hopper / VIP Receiver Networks

The Hopper/VIP receiver network drawings have been updated today.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:31 PM   #51

'Bout ready to pull the trigger, and wondering about the hopper/VIP combo versus hopper and Joey or super Joey. Why would one pick one over the other?
Old 10-05-2014, 12:32 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXduo View Post
'Bout ready to pull the trigger, and wondering about the hopper/VIP combo versus hopper and Joey or super Joey. Why would one pick one over the other?
Hopper + 211 = 4 tuners
Hopper + Joey = 3 tuners
Hopper + Super Joey = 5 tuners

A Joey or Super Joey can access all the recorded programs on a Hopper. You can't do that with a 211.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:54 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
TechWriter,
I bought my MH in July. Previous owner installed Wineguard Min/Max dome. This dome has the capability of HD programming thru Dish. Only SD from Direct. My S&B has two Hopper/Slingbox and 2 Joeys. We are planning to FT in a few months and moving out of the house. We are using a 211z now but have no recording ability without external HD. We would love to put a Hopper in the coach. Is there any way?
With Doberman (Bailey) & Shitzu (Cooper)
NVMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:08 PM   #54

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

This is great info.Thank you for sharing.
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:54 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVMike View Post
TechWriter,
I bought my MH in July. Previous owner installed Wineguard Min/Max dome. This dome has the capability of HD programming thru Dish. Only SD from Direct. My S&B has two Hopper/Slingbox and 2 Joeys. We are planning to FT in a few months and moving out of the house. We are using a 211z now but have no recording ability without external HD. We would love to put a Hopper in the coach. Is there any way?
It's worth a try. You might be able to get 1 of the Hopper's 3 tuners working.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:15 AM   #56

Smile WineGarg Travler 1000, Hopper with one Joey.

I just had a Winegard SK-1000 TRAV'LER installed, using a Solo Node (185834) on my 5th wheel Jayco. I have 1 Hopper and 1 Joey and they work alsome. The easest I have every had. Push 1 button on the Dish 1000, 5 minutes later I am locked on 3 sats with HD. Super easy. I have attached a file that show just how this needs to be wired. Make sure whoever wires this up uses the correct 3GHz rated RG6 coax and the Solo Node. If you need more info I am glad to answer any questions. The SK-1000 is super.......

Enjoy Tom
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 125_dish_two-tvs_hopper_joey_hdhd_single_rg6.pdf (2.49 MB, 118 views)

Tags
dish