Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2015, 08:07 AM   #15

Dish reciever

I am pretty sure I got info on what reciever to get from dish off this site. I have a vip211. As mentioned, it does not record. I have it connected using a hdmi cord to tv. Will I still be able to use this reciever using a external unit as several of you suggested? I haven't looked but does the vip211 have two hdmi imputs? Don't I need one for the external unit?
Thanks all for posts. Dealing with a "dummy" on these items.
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2015, 09:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BUTCH View Post
I am pretty sure I got info on what reciever to get from dish off this site. I have a vip211. As mentioned, it does not record. I have it connected using a hdmi cord to tv. Will I still be able to use this reciever using a external unit as several of you suggested? I haven't looked but does the vip211 have two hdmi imputs? Don't I need one for the external unit?

Thanks all for posts. Dealing with a "dummy" on these items.

Butch, this group is expert at helping folks at any knowledge level. But you have to be clear and responsive.
I don't see anywhere what type of RV you have. What satellite antenna do you currently have? What MODEL 211 do you have?
Neither the k or z 211 models will record. Requirements to make it record, in other words, turn it into a DVR have been provided.
First, you should identify you 211 model and get a manual. Or you can go on line and look at a picture of it. The K and Z models have different connectivity options.
As to your question of whether you can use an external unit. Be precise please. By external unit, do you mean satellite? If so, yes. Many RV's have a switch inside that allows you to change the feed to the 211 receiver between the roof mounted and external antennas. If not, they have both connections run to the cabinet and you manually swap them on the back of the receiver.

Rod
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:48 PM   #17

Quote:
DISH has made three different versions of the 211 receiver: 211, 211k, and 211z

All three versions have 1 HDMI output and 1 USB port (the 211z has two).

You TV connects to the HDMI output, and a hard disk drive would connect to the USB port.

Adding an external USB hard drive to a 211 turns it into a DVR.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:56 AM   #18

I have stated several times including the post heading itself that I have a vip211 reciever. No other numbers just a VIP211. I don't know what type or even what an external hard drive is that is why I was asking what to get and how does it plug into my current reciever. Not trying to be hardheaded here but that is all the numbers I have. Don't see how the coach has anything to do with the tv but no problem at all providing the info-2007 Beaver Marquis with King Dome satalite locater. Hope this will provide all needed info. Called local stero tv shop and asked about info on an external drive for my dish reciever so I could record shows and they had no clue to what I was talking about. Maybe I need to go tonRadio shack??
Old 07-11-2015, 08:07 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Dish Vip211

Flying Butch
If you are just looking to record shows from satellite.
You need to purchase an external hard drive like this.
http://www.target.com/p/seagate-back...3/-/A-17302242
Plug it into the USB port on the back of the receiver. With the TV on you will get a message about calling to activate the DVR function. You will have to call Dish pay one time fee $40 and you will be good to go.

I just added an external drive to out VIP211 last month. Works great!

YouTube video showing how.

Steve
Old 07-11-2015, 09:04 AM   #20

Quote:
I have stated several times including the post heading itself that I have a vip211 reciever. No other numbers just a VIP211. I don't know what type or even what an external hard drive is that is why I was asking what to get and how does it plug into my current reciever. Not trying to be hardheaded here but that is all the numbers I have. Don't see how the coach has anything to do with the tv but no problem at all providing the info-2007 Beaver Marquis with King Dome satalite locater. Hope this will provide all needed info. Called local stero tv shop and asked about info on an external drive for my dish reciever so I could record shows and they had no clue to what I was talking about. Maybe I need to go tonRadio shack??

Hi Butch, it may have been me that caused you frustration by asking for more info and for that I'm sorry.
You asked about hooking up an "external unit". I can't tell you how many times a person with the exact or similar coach replies with a coach specific answer. I gave you a generic one that I hope was helpful.
Dish will sell you a hard drive for the 211 if you want to call them or go on line. It's just that similar ones are available for less money at any electronics store, even Walmart. The 211 being worked on in the video is a 211k. The 211z has more of a modern contoured shape.
Let us know if you still have questions...

Rod
Old 07-12-2015, 08:12 AM   #21

Thanks very much for all the info guys. Tough when dealing with things ya don't have a clue about? Headed to Walmart today and hopefully the clerk will know what an external hard drive is. I saw a post that this allowed a guy to get TV guide on local over the air channels and able to record them. That would really be nice, especially since I am struggling getting locals on my dish receiver. That is a different post and different problem. Thanks everyone for taking time with an ole timer and walking me through this situation. Great site greater members.

Safe travels all
Old 07-12-2015, 08:25 AM   #22

Quote:
Thanks very much for all the info guys. Tough when dealing with things ya don't have a clue about? Headed to Walmart today and hopefully the clerk will know what an external hard drive is. I saw a post that this allowed a guy to get TV guide on local over the air channels and able to record them. That would really be nice, especially since I am struggling getting locals on my dish receiver. That is a different post and different problem. Thanks everyone for taking time with an ole timer and walking me through this situation. Great site greater members.

Safe travels all

Butch, to be clear. Getting an external hard drive will have no impact on your ability to receive local stations. The Hard drive simply allows you to record shows, local or otherwise. Make sure the hard drive you select uses an external power source. Some hard drives get their power from their USB connection to the receiver. You don't want that. Hopefully you watched the video.
I'll send you a private email with my phone number. I think I can help you over the hump via phone.

Rod
Old 07-12-2015, 09:54 AM   #23

http://www.mydish.com/upgrades/produ...nd-dvr-storage
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:26 PM   #24

Vip211

Thanks again for all assistance. Went to Radio shack-out of business of course. Went to walmart and clerk as clueless as me-if that is possible. Didn't view video until I got back and yes I purchased one that didn't have it's own power supply?? After viewing video it looks pretty easy. Thanks so much for taking time to post that for me. Headed to Target to get new one. I think I might be able to get it installed. Will post progress later on.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVLola View Post
I'm thinking about Dish or DirecTV. I have heard from sticks and bricks people that Dish has more problems with service outages than DirecT. I will be using the same system for my S and B as well as we only RV occasionally.
Has anyone used both, and have a clear preference for one or the other?
I have installed both Dish and Direct in RV's for 17 years the big issue is what antenna are you using and what do you expect it to do? If you want Direct and full features you will need a stationary antenna like the Winegard Travler Slimline however if you want Direct and have a dome antenna no matter what brand you will not have HD service and will be channel limited. Dish has advantage of giving you all channels with either stationary or in motion antennas. Now all in motion antennas require you to watch only one satellite at a time which means even if you connect multiple receivers they all must watch the same satellite. As for service issues they all use the same signal as do the cable systems that tell you how bad satellite service is they also use satellite to get the channels. Cable systems have much bigger antennas and size matters in this sport.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:23 PM   #26

UNSUBSCRIBE

Rod
Old 07-12-2015, 01:29 PM   #27

Went to Target, got the one suggested by number. It does not have separate power supply though?? Easy enough to install but not sure it is going to work? Called dish and they charged the $40. On the phone now because when I push record nothing happens, push dvr and message comes back up again to call dish to activate.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:36 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Mine worked fine. Did Not need extra power supply. Takes awhile to format hard drive and system to be ready to record. This is after activation from dish.

Steve

Tags
dish