Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #1

Dish vs DTV

We had dish network for years and our coach came with a king dome in motion Dish. I purchased 2 receivers to work with the king dome. I have had numerous problems with it from the beginning and eventually got rid of Dish network all together. Went with ATT uverse at home and just use cable or over the air antenna when in the coach.

Question: if I have a "Traveler" installed on the coach is there a benefit in going with one service over the other DISH OR DTV? If I stick with Dish will the receivers that I purchased to work with the king dome work with the traveller?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Can't tell you about the specific hardware on your coach, but i do know that Dish offers month-to-month capabilities with no contracts, and DirectTV requires a long term committment.

I just ordered two dish receivers from Camping World this week for our new coach.. CW had them for $10 cheaper than elsewhere that I could find, and with your Good Sams ID you get free shipping.

Good luck!
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanjeep View Post
We had dish network for years and our coach came with a king dome in motion Dish. I purchased 2 receivers to work with the king dome. I have had numerous problems with it from the beginning and eventually got rid of Dish network all together. Went with ATT uverse at home and just use cable or over the air antenna when in the coach.

Question: if I have a "Traveler" installed on the coach is there a benefit in going with one service over the other DISH OR DTV? If I stick with Dish will the receivers that I purchased to work with the king dome work with the traveller?

Thanks in advance for your help.
There are two versions of "Travelr"... one for Dish and one for DirecTv. The Dish model is considerably less expensive. Are your two new receivers Dish network receivers or Kingdome receivers capable of receiving either service? Do you want HD? Have you considered a DVR?

Although I've had DirecTv forever, from what I've seen reported here, Dish seems to be more RV friendly... especially if you already have Dish equipment and/or can save money going the Dish route. I haven't checked prices lately, but I'd bet the Dish Travelr is still ~$500 less than the Direct version. On Edit: I just checked and the difference in price is down to $300. $1265 vs $1555.

Good luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I don't think any of the Dish receivers would have a problem with the Trav'ler. Of course, with the Trav'ler you'll get all of the satellites without it having to jump from one to another based on the channel selected.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #5

The 2 receivers that I purchased in Feb of 2012 are Dish receivers. They are not HD receivers and are not DVR capable. I do have an older DVR receiver from the house that belongs to me that will actually run 2 separate TV's but I have no idea whether or not it would work in the RV. One reason obviously to stick with Dish is because I think the 2 receivers that I purchased to work with the King Dome would work with the Trav'ler but I know I wouldn't have HD.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Gotcha.

Do check with Dish on what kind of RV packages they have available. IMO, the Travelr might be overkill if you don't want HD and you can probably either save money on a lesser sat dish, or you may be able to get an HD receiver or two from Dish and only pay a few dollars per month for each while you're using them.

Good luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 09-12-2013, 06:02 PM   #7

Direct TV can be suspended at any time for as long as you wish.....we use it for 3 months....suspend for 2 months and reactivate it when we go out again
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by corjaguar View Post
Direct TV can be suspended at any time for as long as you wish.....we use it for 3 months....suspend for 2 months and reactivate it when we go out again
Is there any limit on how often you can do that?

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 09-12-2013, 07:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanjeep View Post
The 2 receivers that I purchased in Feb of 2012 are Dish receivers. They are not HD receivers and are not DVR capable. I do have an older DVR receiver from the house that belongs to me that will actually run 2 separate TV's but I have no idea whether or not it would work in the RV. One reason obviously to stick with Dish is because I think the 2 receivers that I purchased to work with the King Dome would work with the Trav'ler but I know I wouldn't have HD.
Since a DISH Travler will run you about $1100 (uninstalled), why not do with a DISH Tailgater for about 1/2 the cost + you get HD & Pay-As-You-Go.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Is there any limit on how often you can do that?

I usually do not suspend service if it is just for less than a month....but I do suspend for a couple of months....max has been 6 months and I will suspend twice a year.
When I signed the 2 year contract, they said that whenever I suspended, the contract time suspended would just be added to the end of the time period. So 2 years could take 3 years.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:06 AM   #11

Thats one thing we do not like about direct. Extends contract when we suspend. We'll move to Dish eventually, more RV friendly.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:49 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
For Canadians the Dish pay as you go is much better.
No contracts
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:55 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I have the DirecTV Travl'r on my coach and a friend has the Dish version. Whenever he changes channels, you can hear the dish on the roof click-whirr-click-click as it realigns for different feeds. Really annoying. My DirecTV stays locked in one position.
I take 2 high def DVRs from home and install in the coach when we travel. No extra expense, no big deal.
norwestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestie View Post
Whenever he changes channels, you can hear the dish on the roof click-whirr-click-click as it realigns for different feeds. Really annoying. My DirecTV stays locked in one position.
I take 2 high def DVRs from home and install in the coach when we travel. No extra expense, no big deal.
Are you sure he has a Trav'ler? I have the Dish version. It doesn't move. It has three LNBs for the three satellites, so there is no need for it to move once it's peaked the signal. It sounds like you're describing how a dome works with Dish.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish