RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-07-2019, 09:32 AM   #1
Member
 
B52Rnav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 96
Dish Wally SW Update

Dish just updated SW for Wally to version 448 dated 1/4/2019.

Based on my experience and other reports on this forum, there had been numerous issues with Wally ops.

Now we have another really annoying issue - every time Wally is turned on, it runs the Check Switch routine. I have not yet found a fool proof way to avoid this.

Have tried leaving antenna and Wally powered on overnite, but Wally goes to sleep sometime overnite. Prior to the update, I just turned Wally on, got Restoring Session message, and had picture in seconds. Now Wally goes thru the check switch, acquiring signal, download guide every time.

This morning, after check switch, Wally stalled in Acquiring Signal, but status bar indicated it was done. Waited several minutes and still stuck in acquiring signal.

Just to try something new, I went to tools and did Restore Settings. Picture immediately appeared and software was still on U448.

Interested to hear what experience others are having with U448.
__________________

__________________
2014 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
2014 Honda CR-V
B52Rnav is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2019, 11:45 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
FatChance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2,166
Our Wally has U448 as of 12/11/18. No problems or changes noticed since then.
__________________

__________________
'04 Newmar Mountain Aire 4016
400ISL/Freightliner
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:27 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
CWSWine's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Manhattan (Little Apple) Kansas
Posts: 835
Our Wally is at 441 and when I hit update Software it returns it is up to date.
__________________
DP 2017 Discovery LXE 40D GVWR 36,400 GCWR 46,400 Payload 5578 UVW 30,822
TOAD 2017 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Limited 4 Door & 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Past RVs 2006 21 Foot BT Cruiser Class C - 2015 Montana 3711 - 2016 Grand Design 310GK-R
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:21 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Our Wally has U448 as of 12/11/18. No problems or changes noticed since then.
Both our Wally’s are running u448 since 12/12. Not having any issues. In fact they both start up significantly faster than previous. Both feed off a Winegard Travler.
__________________
2014 Southwind 32VS
2013 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X
PbdBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:39 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Lt Dan's Avatar


 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 3,202
Both of my Wallies are also on U448 since 12/11/18 and I have not noticed any problems with them at all.
__________________
Dan & Ro with two Rescued Boston "Terrorists" Jade & Jewel
2017 Phaeton 40IH Maroon Coral - Power Glide Chassis with IFS (05/17)
Previously '15 Tiffin Allegro RED 38QRA and '06 Itasca Sunrise 35A
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:24 PM   #6
Member
 
Yankeebelle's Avatar
 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Daphne, AL
Posts: 77
Have a Playmaker 2 on mine hooked up to 2 Wally's. Neither want to turn off when you turn off the TV. Sometimes at night you can hear the antenna searching around for a signal. Or when I put back in the garage and hook up the power again it starts just searching for a signal up top. Only way to stop is to unplug the power from the wall. Tried everything. On the Wally in the back - it works sometimes and sometimes not. Says no signal, though in the front on the other Wally it works just fine. Or turn it off and next morning turn on, it's like a new world and has to search around, says to unplug and restart, reload, try this or that and might decide to work. Wondering if the Wally may be whacked or something else. Worked a few times ok, but since then not so much. Only used it maybe 4 times. Everything is new throughout with it. About ready to toss in the trash and do without. Any ideas.

Thanks
Bruce
__________________
Bruce and Paula Byrd - Daphne, AL
2001 Alpine 38 FDDS 74378
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Moab Edition
Yankeebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:45 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Lt Dan's Avatar


 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 3,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeebelle View Post
Have a Playmaker 2 on mine hooked up to 2 Wally's. Neither want to turn off when you turn off the TV. Sometimes at night you can hear the antenna searching around for a signal. Or when I put back in the garage and hook up the power again it starts just searching for a signal up top. Only way to stop is to unplug the power from the wall. Tried everything. On the Wally in the back - it works sometimes and sometimes not. Says no signal, though in the front on the other Wally it works just fine. Or turn it off and next morning turn on, it's like a new world and has to search around, says to unplug and restart, reload, try this or that and might decide to work. Wondering if the Wally may be whacked or something else. Worked a few times ok, but since then not so much. Only used it maybe 4 times. Everything is new throughout with it. About ready to toss in the trash and do without. Any ideas. Thanks Bruce
Searching of the antenna is normal on Dish network. I had the same issue with the PathwayX1 and the RoadTrip Mission on two of our coaches. If you leave your primary Wally turned on and just turn off the TV the antenna will stay locked onto whatever station you have it on. You can go into the options setting on the Wally and set the power off time for the maximum to keep it from turning off. Your only other option is to turn off the power to the antenna, which you may not be able to do with the Playmaker. Every time you power up a dome satellite antenna, it has to go through its search and setup routine.

As for the no signal on the second Wally, unless the channel you are trying to watch is on the same satellite as the primary Wally, it will show no signal. The primary receiver controls which satellite is locked on.
__________________
Dan & Ro with two Rescued Boston "Terrorists" Jade & Jewel
2017 Phaeton 40IH Maroon Coral - Power Glide Chassis with IFS (05/17)
Previously '15 Tiffin Allegro RED 38QRA and '06 Itasca Sunrise 35A
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:13 PM   #8
Member
 
Yankeebelle's Avatar
 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Daphne, AL
Posts: 77
Yea the Playmaker gets the power from the Wally. I need to do some more playing with it. Reason I got the Playmaker 2 was supposedly to be able to run two Wally's at once. I know you can't be on separate sats. Guess that may be some of it that have to shut off the one in the front so the one in the back to take over. I've been watching one channel in the front and go to the back to watch that same channel and won't pick it up. May be better to just add an switch to go between one. We seldom have 2 on together anyway. Always something with them

Thanks
Bruce
__________________
Bruce and Paula Byrd - Daphne, AL
2001 Alpine 38 FDDS 74378
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Moab Edition
Yankeebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:23 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
MattE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern California USA
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by B52Rnav View Post
Dish just updated SW for Wally to version 448 dated 1/4/2019.

Based on my experience and other reports on this forum, there had been numerous issues with Wally ops.

Now we have another really annoying issue - every time Wally is turned on, it runs the Check Switch routine. I have not yet found a fool proof way to avoid this.

Have tried leaving antenna and Wally powered on overnite, but Wally goes to sleep sometime overnite. Prior to the update, I just turned Wally on, got Restoring Session message, and had picture in seconds. Now Wally goes thru the check switch, acquiring signal, download guide every time.

This morning, after check switch, Wally stalled in Acquiring Signal, but status bar indicated it was done. Waited several minutes and still stuck in acquiring signal.

Just to try something new, I went to tools and did Restore Settings. Picture immediately appeared and software was still on U448.

Interested to hear what experience others are having with U448.
Are you saying that even if you keep it plugged in, it will redo the full initialization (check switch, acquiring signal, etc) when it comes out of sleep mode? That would suck. Haven't used ours since October so it hasn't gotten the update, but as long as I keep it powered (I bought a small inverter for this purpose) it wouldn't re-initialize. I hope that's still the case after the software update!
__________________
2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC SRW - Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2019 Honda CRF-450R
MattE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:00 PM   #10
Member
 
B52Rnav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 96
Update. Keeping Wally and antenna powered overnight. At some point, Wally does go to sleep. About 0400, which is consistent with 8 hr inactivity time out, antenna moves for a few seconds. When we turn the TV on in morning, Wally is off and hit any key on remote.to wake up. It indicates, Resuming Session, then goes immediately to check switch , which consistently lasts 4 min 50 sec, then session resumes.

After a day on the road, power on antenna, when it quits its search, we power on Wally, which then goes through check switch, acquiring signal, and download guide - about 12 min.

After 5 days on the road this trip, ops described above are consistent.
B52Rnav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:42 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
CWSWine's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Manhattan (Little Apple) Kansas
Posts: 835
Sometime during the night, the Wally should switch to satellite 119 to download a newly updated guide and to check for updates.
__________________
DP 2017 Discovery LXE 40D GVWR 36,400 GCWR 46,400 Payload 5578 UVW 30,822
TOAD 2017 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Limited 4 Door & 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Past RVs 2006 21 Foot BT Cruiser Class C - 2015 Montana 3711 - 2016 Grand Design 310GK-R
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:14 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 23
Wally

My Wally started doing the check switch just a couple of weeks ago. Before that it always started right up. When you restored your settings, does the Wally still do the "check switch" every time??
Thanks


Quote:
Originally Posted by B52Rnav View Post
Dish just updated SW for Wally to version 448 dated 1/4/2019.

Based on my experience and other reports on this forum, there had been numerous issues with Wally ops.

Now we have another really annoying issue - every time Wally is turned on, it runs the Check Switch routine. I have not yet found a fool proof way to avoid this.

Have tried leaving antenna and Wally powered on overnite, but Wally goes to sleep sometime overnite. Prior to the update, I just turned Wally on, got Restoring Session message, and had picture in seconds. Now Wally goes thru the check switch, acquiring signal, download guide every time.

This morning, after check switch, Wally stalled in Acquiring Signal, but status bar indicated it was done. Waited several minutes and still stuck in acquiring signal.

Just to try something new, I went to tools and did Restore Settings. Picture immediately appeared and software was still on U448.

Interested to hear what experience others are having with U448.
Jeepster05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:46 PM   #13
Member
 
B52Rnav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 96
After a month of dealing with check switch every time Wally powered on, discovered solution on another forum. Perform reset to factory settings, then go thru check switch, update your preferences and all is well. Now when we turn tv on in morning and wake up Wally, it goes to Resume Session, and TV is active. Also latest update is U449.
__________________
2014 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
2014 Honda CR-V
B52Rnav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:16 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by B52Rnav View Post
After a month of dealing with check switch every time Wally powered on, discovered solution on another forum. Perform reset to factory settings, then go thru check switch, update your preferences and all is well. Now when we turn tv on in morning and wake up Wally, it goes to Resume Session, and TV is active. Also latest update is U449.
Did you do a master reset or just a receiver reset? I have the Wally and have both options. Thanks
__________________

Jeepster05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dish



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dish network Hybrid dish and Wally receivers wildcatfan94 Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 9 05-21-2018 09:17 PM
Wally update U430 with Pathway X2 lnanne Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 24 02-11-2018 08:10 AM
Dish Receiver 211Z vs. "Wally" vettenuts Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 39 09-02-2017 08:47 AM
Dish new Wally reciever Selah Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 1 06-06-2016 10:23 AM
New DISH Hopper & Wally TechWriter Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 8 05-30-2016 05:38 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.