Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2007, 07:18 AM   #1

Am a brand new RV'er, have dish networks service at home and an extra Dishnet 500 receiver in exercise room.

What all would I need and how would I get it in my coach.

I know I will need another dish, and maybe a tripod for it or a way to mount or have it mounted on roof..

Can it replace my Winnegard antenna?

All help and suggestions are appreciated

Tom Sauls
Tom Sauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2007, 07:18 AM   #2

Am a brand new RV'er, have dish networks service at home and an extra Dishnet 500 receiver in exercise room.

What all would I need and how would I get it in my coach.

I know I will need another dish, and maybe a tripod for it or a way to mount or have it mounted on roof..

Can it replace my Winnegard antenna?

All help and suggestions are appreciated

Tom Sauls
Tom Sauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:42 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Tom,
Since you have the receiver and a 2006 coach, this should not be difficult. I will assume your coach has an external connection for cable TV. You'll need a portable satellite dish, cable (50' - 75' should be fine), tripod, mast, and a satellite signal finder. The signal finder is not mandatory. For me it is a big convenience click here for sample Satellite Signal finder. Camping World also sells the dish, tripod and cable. You will also need something to hold the completed assembly in one spot. Several gallon milk jugs, filled with water, on a bunge cord should to this job nicely.

I am a DTV customer. DTV offers a kit that has a dish, tripod, mast and cable for about $70. Consider calling Dish and ask if thy have a portable Dish kit. I have a satellite dome on my coach roof. I also have a portable dish setup like mentioned above. I use the portable setup when the dome is blocked from receiving a signal. This is about 10-15% of the time.

For where to put the receiver, I hope you have some sort of A/V distribution box. If you do, then hook the receiver into the back of the box so it will receive the signal from the cable TV connection on the outside of the coach.

If you have no outside cable TV connection or A/V distribution box then your in for some wire running and making your own connections. Before we get into the details of that exercise, please let us know if you have the connections in your coach.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:16 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
You will want to retain your winegard antenna for off air channels. I would also maintain the cable connection for use in campgrounds with cable. If you put a diplexer at each end of the cable TV cable in the motorhome, the existing cable will support cable and satellite. There are many dish kits on eBay with all you need from about $40 - $70. Here is a link to diplexer installation Diplexer installation
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:23 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
John is correct, I use a diplexer in my coach. You can buy them at Radio Shack.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:39 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
If you choose to make your choice fr a rooftop antenna you can select either a manual location of the satelitte or automatic. The mmajor manufacturers for the equipment are Winegard and Kingdome. The antennas for the sat. viewing are additional antennas and the off air antenna you already have is retained.

I have had the manual and I chose to upgrade to the automatic installed on this coach and am very glad.

the only restriction is that one chooses sites with an open view to the South sky.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:35 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winegard also make a dish/antenna combination that goes on top of your coach.