RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2019, 01:24 PM   #1

Distant Network Service (DNS)

Directv and Dish both offer Los Angeles and New York Feeds. My question is: are there any other methods to obtain them? Certainly, I would be will to pay for such a service.

2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2019, 01:31 PM   #2

I get NY DNS, on DirecTV, by using a Toms River NJ address.

SD service but no extra charge.

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:04 PM   #3

Dish DNS is for fulltimers only and is HD networks from California/ LA (on satellite 119).

If your (Dish) local address happens to be the New York city area, then SD networks are available on 119 and that apparently is also available nation wide, if you are not full time.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:34 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
or simply use tge DISH app to change your service address to get locals in whatever area you’re in.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:24 PM   #5
WiFiRanger Ambassador

We've had DirecTV DNS for 8 years and IMO it's worth the $15/mo we pay for it. We get the major networks in HD and we don't have to worry about changing local stations when we travel. We have no interest in local news or weather so we can ignore the NYC news as easily as we could ignore truly local stuff if we had it.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:33 AM   #6

I have had DNS service since 2012 and Directv decided to take it away from me in September of 2018. We are full time. I agree with docj it is totally worth it, looking at options, in case my waiver (don't understand why I need one) fails.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:39 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
We've had DirecTV DNS for 8 years and IMO it's worth the $15/mo we pay for it. We get the major networks in HD and we don't have to worry about changing local stations when we travel. We have no interest in local news or weather so we can ignore the NYC news as easily as we could ignore truly local stuff if we had it.
Ditto. I have had DNS for more than 10 years and would not be without it. Some people report having trouble getting it or keeping it. I'm just glad I have it.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:11 AM   #8
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfalch View Post
We are full time. I agree with docj it is totally worth it, looking at options, in case my waiver (don't understand why I need one) fails.
The reason you need a "waiver" is because FCC rules prohibit people from receiving "out of area" TV signals unless they get a waiver. This all started when satellite TV was first introduced and broadcasters got worried that people would watch non-local TV and wouldn't see local advertisements. So they got the FCC to rule that you could only view out-of-area TV if you fell into certain categories which were grounds for a waiver.

The "original" waiver group were people who lived in areas so rural and far away from big cities that they couldn't receive over-the-air (OTA) TV signals. After them came truckers, boaters and RVers who moved around and had no "local" stations to watch. That's why you have to furnish a copy of your RV registration card when you apply to get DNS and why DNS service is not supposed to be combined with service at a fixed location.

Some of the consequences of this rule can be amusing. I grew up in the Washington/Baltimore area and was quite accustomed to receiving OTA TV from both cities with nothing more than an inexpensive rooftop antenna. However, once technology advanced to the point where we could get cable or satellite at our home, we were no longer permitted to watch TV stations from the "other" city! Made no sense then, nor does it now!
Old 01-10-2019, 09:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Directv and Dish both offer Los Angeles and New York Feeds. My question is: are there any other methods to obtain them? Certainly, I would be will to pay for such a service.
If you're just looking for the programs, you can stream the shows separate from channel if you have Internet access. If you're looking for news, those are available on channels like News On on a Roku.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
I actually like catching local news casts when I travel. I find it interesting to see what is happening in different parts of the country and sometimes catch an event that we might be interested in.
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:38 AM   #10
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleKing View Post

I actually like catching local news casts when I travel. I find it interesting to see what is happening in different parts of the country and sometimes catch an event that we might be interested in.
I can get all that off the internet also. Between Google News and the Washington Post, which we subscribe to, there's less and less need to watch any news these days. JMO
Old 01-10-2019, 12:56 PM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleKing View Post
...I actually like catching local news casts when I travel. I find it interesting to see what is happening in different parts of the country and sometimes catch an event that we might be interested in.
agree. we like local news and weather...something you're not gonna get elsewhere. so we simply use the DISH app to change sour ervice location when we move..even for a day or two. takes about 15-minutes end-to-end. no big deal.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:01 PM   #12

Well dcj mentioned a waver. Back in 2012 I filled out the DNS form and have and have had LA since then. On another post I moaned about the decision to yank me off. I have the FCC document that states I am able to receive them. Just a matter to finding someone at AT&T who really cares about not losing a long time customer. Don't know why I need a waver when the FCC say's I don't.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:10 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Well dcj mentioned a waver. Back in 2012 I filled out the DNS form and have and have had LA since then. On another post I moaned about the decision to yank me off. I have the FCC document that states I am able to receive them. Just a matter to finding someone at AT&T who really cares about not losing a long time customer. Don't know why I need a waver when the FCC say's I don't.
It sounds to me like the FCC form you have is the waiver.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:25 AM   #14

People should Goggle the download the FCC SHVERA.DOC and read part 5D

Tags
service