Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2011, 09:25 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
We watch DVDs if we want TV. We have a trackvision dome but never hooked it up.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2011, 09:46 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
We watch DVDs if we want TV. We have a trackvision dome but never hooked it up.
Me too. But here I am reading this thread because I know that when I go fulltime, I will be BoonDocking alot, and want to have the option of having the world come to me with a click of the button.

I have been reading for hours on end about getting the internet out on the road. Right now I am stationary, and am getting wireless with a very good high speed signal. So....I purchase Netflix and watch movies 2-3x wk.

I don't think I'd be able to do that out on the road, even with a "card", or "tethering" to a phone.....because of the download speed needed to watch a "streaming" movie.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:28 PM   #17

The point for me is not whether we need satellite or not; but rather, why not. Those of us who are not full timers and have satellite service at home can have TV for the price of a receiver and antenna. We have Dish Network and just bought the new portable Tailgater antenna. The thing cost about 350 and seems to work perfect, getting all HD channels that we get at home. I prefer the portable over the roof mounted dome type because you still always need to find a clear view of the sky. With the portable it's likely you can achieve this.
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:13 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
A tracvision dish came on top of my MH. Installed back sometime after 1994.
Hardly ever used, I am sure. I accidently turned it on once, and then shut it off quickly, as I wasn't sure what was happening (rotating noise on roof).

Do you think this 'dish' is still viable to use when I do get satelite TV ??
Or should I get another one, perhaps a portable one so I can move it around the area to get a clear shot to the satelite ???

There was a DirectTV box in one of the cabinets. Still usable ????
Old 11-18-2011, 11:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr300ce
A tracvision dish came on top of my MH. Installed back sometime after 1994.
Hardly ever used, I am sure. I accidently turned it on once, and then shut it off quickly, as I wasn't sure what was happening (rotating noise on roof).

Do you think this 'dish' is still viable to use when I do get satelite TV ??
Or should I get another one, perhaps a portable one so I can move it around the area to get a clear shot to the satelite ???

There was a DirectTV box in one of the cabinets. Still usable ????
Don't know. I guess you would need to subscribe to DirectTV and turn everything on. Hard to say if it would be worth it in the end. If the system fails to work you would need to go to a plan B.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:11 AM   #20

Our 2004 coach came with a TracStar dome unit. We had cable TV in the sticks and bricks for over 20 years. We decided to change over to Directv in the sticks and bricks. We had them install 4 boxes in the house. I took one of the spare bedroom satellite receivers and installed it in the bedroom of the MH. When we travel I unhook the other spare room receiver and install it in the MH for the front TV. The TracStar dome system is great for SD programming and it is capable of allowing independent viewing on each TV. As others have mentioned, if the dome gets under too many trees, there is loss of signal. We tried to pick our campsites using Google Earth but found it difficult to tell if there were too many trees. In a couple of instances we have changed campsites to enable us to view TV.

We like to camp in the woods, usually in state parks, so I had to do something. I decided to have a backup system. I purchased 100' of dual RG6 cable, a dozen Thomas & Betts connectors, a Directv 18" dish with dual LNB's and a tripod for less than $100. We do not intend to use DVR's in the MH so the dual LNB dish will do the job.

Now if we can't get a signal on the dome I pull out the dish and the tripod, flip a couple of switches, aim the dish and I am good to go. The dish is able to see through some pretty small openings in the tree canopy.

Here a the link to a thread I posted when I was setting up the second system. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/secon...l?#post1012738

Our Brighthouse cables monthly fee was $142 for cable, high speed internet and phone service. Our Directv service is about $80. We took a Brighhouse plan for $50 per month for high speed internet and phone. We end up saving money and have the use of the satellite and home and away. For us, it's the best of both worlds.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:01 PM   #21

We are a tv family, got to have it we have direct tv with a in motion dish and yes it's on going down the road for $5.00 a month as a extra tv.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:12 PM   #22

I always thought the idea of an in-motion satellite very cool.
Now with 7 children ages 14 to 1, I realize that it not only is cool but necessary.
I installed a Winegard in motion on my motorhome and just installed a KVH on a customer's class C at work. Fishing the wires around was the hardest part, it would be a TON easier with an extra set of hands.
gauto5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Like others, we have directv at home. I have two receivers that are dedicated to the coach. Our Winnebago came with a Kingdome auto system and we use it all the time. We keep the RV at our house and I even watch it at home from time to time when doing projects on the coach.

I always tell the RV park personnel to give us a space that does not have trees. A few years ago, they looked at me a little strange but now they say you have a satellite dish, huh?

Satellite TV is an essential component for us. We use it for hours on every trip.

TxTC
Old 11-19-2011, 01:40 PM   #24

Yesterday I ordered Direct tv for the home and thought I'd take it with me in the 5th. in the summer. After researching it all and calling back Direct TV, I find that in order to have all your channels you need the $1,400 Wineguard dome. If you go with a 3 LNB dish it's almost impossible to set up without $500 meters and a lot of BS. Too much confusion for me. I just canceled my order.

Oh, and before you order the service make sure you really want it because to cancel it you have to spend hours on the phone explaining it all to many different people...
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:23 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg
Yesterday I ordered Direct tv for the home and thought I'd take it with me in the 5th. in the summer. After researching it all and calling back Direct TV, I find that in order to have all your channels you need the $1,400 Wineguard dome. If you go with a 3 LNB dish it's almost impossible to set up without $500 meters and a lot of BS. Too much confusion for me. I just canceled my order.

Oh, and before you order the service make sure you really want it because to cancel it you have to spend hours on the phone explaining it all to many different people...
You really ought to look at Dish instead. You will save a ton of money. I am assuming you have an HD TV? The tailgater portable automatic costs 350 not 1400! You get all the channels you get at home for 5 bucks a month. You are right about the 3 LNB dish. They are hard to use. With the portable automatic; just set it out on the ground; it locates the sats and you are watching TV!
Old 11-19-2011, 06:34 PM   #26

We use Direct TV. use an old dish .i get it out set it up on a piece of 3/4 " plywood.
5 min. I'm watching the sci-fi channel.
Our remote works from the bed room to the front of our 35' rig,running 1 receiver from the house.
We haven't had any reception problems, if tree's are in the way,I just put it on top.
Couldn't do without it !!!!
mr.clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:27 PM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have one CG I stay at where reception is kind of iffy... I may fix that in a year or two.

All the other CG's I stay at I either get enough Over the Air that I sometimes do not know what to do with it all or.. Where I'm at now.. Free cable.

IF you have not added with Wingman to your batwing (or if you have a roadstar flying saucer type antenna) upgrades are recommended. The roadstar is basically useless in today's digital world by the way
Old 11-20-2011, 06:03 AM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

IF you have not added with Wingman to your batwing (or if you have a roadstar flying saucer type antenna) upgrades are recommended. The roadstar is basically useless in today's digital world by the way
I'm still using the antenna that came on the RV without any modifications. What would you recommend I try?
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish, satellite